Melodic Death Metal Bands?

What the fuck are u saying?! Omnium Gatherum is a fuckin' great and talented band from my neighbourhood. I bet u havent even heard them...
That kind of Gatherum attitude pisses me off!

TheNooseInYourEmptySoul said:
Vital Remains' Dechristianize is a great album... or were you talking about pre-Benton Vital Remains?
I was referring mainly to Dechristianize, but I think all Vital Remains rules, but Dechristianize is my favorite. :headbang:

Ankal said:
What the fuck are u saying?! Omnium Gatherum is a fuckin' great and talented band from my neighbourhood. I bet u havent even heard them...
That kind of Gatherum attitude pisses me off!

:lol::lol:

(To the thread starter - see Dreamlord's list, it's very similar to what mine would look like.)

Well, the obvious first choices would of course be the early albums from At The Gates, In Flames, Dissection and maybe also Dark Tranquillity. Then there are plenty of newer bands to check out but most of them are more or less copying the early 90s sound, some worse, some better than others. If there is one band from the younger generation you should check out if you're into the more melodic side of death metal it would definitely be Children Of Bodom. They are one of the few re-inventors of the genre and take in some power metal influences as well. Following them there is a whole new horde of Finnish bands as well...

At The Gates,
Carcass, later stuff
In Flames, early stuff
Dark Tranquillity,
Soilwork,
Amorphis, very early stuff
Arch Enemy, early stuff (new stuff's kinda lame)

SculptedCold said:
Omnium Gatherum are indeed a good band. They write excellent melodies. It's strange that an Opeth fanboy wouldn't appreciate that.
Most of their melodies annoy me, as well as their general musical style. I think it's just a bit too Gothenburgy for me to stand. Generally, the various atmospheres Opeth create appeal to me far more.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Most of their melodies annoy me, as well as their general musical style. I think it's just a bit too Gothenburgy for me to stand. Generally, the various atmospheres Opeth create appeal to me far more.
Yeah I can understand that. They're just so sugary and 'perfect' sounding it's almost as if they're somehow contrived and even more boring gothenburg-y than normal. I sort of thought that when I first listened to the latest album, but it really grew on me and I think they're great.

[ed] If you like stuff like Dark Tranquillity and In Flames, check-out a band called Infliction. They've got a nice, heavy mix of the above bands, a little more experimental too.

Another half decent, aggressive melo-death band is Solar Dawn.

Has nobody mentioned Dimmu Borgir? How could you? Or are they more Melodic Black than Melodic Death? I really think of black and death as the same genre so as not to blur the lines too much and turn "listening to excellent music" into a game of "I can classify more bands than you."

Children of Bodom are NES metal. That is fucking hilarious.

well....there are massive differences between most death and black metal bands/music, so the names aren't undeserved.

as for dimmu, yeah, they're highly melodic, but they're definately more black metal than death metal....especially the early stuff obviously. But even today, in my opinion, they're more thrashy than anything else. =)

but yeah, a good melodic band anyhoo, albeit more on specific tracks rather than whole albums (other than Stormblast of course).

SculptedCold said:
Yeah I can understand that. They're just so sugary and 'perfect' sounding it's almost as if they're somehow contrived and even more boring gothenburg-y than normal. I sort of thought that when I first listened to the latest album, but it really grew on me and I think they're great.
Yeah, that's how they seem to me. I probably just haven't given them enough of a chance, to be honest.