Listening to thread???

I'd probably be listening to this band every day. If not for the tired and predictable "modern" tryhard vocals. Because we all know that you can't be heavy if you're actually singing! At least it's not standard and cliched black I guess. The soloing is so fucking virtuostic, yet isn't masturbatory, and the riffs aren't too bad either!

Last edited:
Dan Swano? Awesome late 80s/early 90s riffs with a modern production? Mikael Stanne/Chris Alvestam level growls? Yes please.

YouTube popped this up as a recommended video. Nevermore on the DNB tour doing "Battle Angels." Nice shrieking from Mr. Sentient 6.

Reactions: ~Lynn~
I see your shrieking and raise you what's probably the best live recording of King Diamond at this point. I'm not sure if he's using a lot of behind the scenes vocal tracks (besides the obvious ones), or if he's simply that good now, but I've never heard him sound this flawless live. Not even 20 - 30 years ago (where he would sing off key quite often). Auto-tune live isn't a thing is it, and if it is, wouldn't it be easily detectable with the robot sounding voice, or has it improved over that?

One thing is for sure though; he really loves stroking his bone in front of everyone.

Last edited:
Maybe you could recommend something then, because pretty much all of the "post rock" bands that I've tried listening to were boring as shit, and borderline shoegazing. 99% of the time, instrumental albums are boring to me if they aren't classical. I don't have an issue with longer "proggy" songs though, but the majority of the time those songs still have lyrics and are structured with lyrics in mind. That helps to make them generate a hook for me I suppose.

Any "guitar hero" solo album though? Amazing the first time, and then they usually get shelved forever.

Cool, thanks. Although I've been listening to Elder now for a while, and I don't see how they are considered "post-rock" or are even really all that similar to Earthside aside from having lengthy songs with long stretches without vocals. They sound more like Crack the Skye Mastodon to me.

Earthside is very progpower-ish, and they have a few passages that I guess you could say resemble post metal, not necessarily post rock. Post rock is basically melodic indie rock with a Fender Tele run through a Fender amp with lots of reverb; the effect is really nice but it's becoming really overdone. I can't stand their Dream Theater guitar sound, though. I'm so sick of that 80's plastic overdriven sound that all the lead guitarists in every prog metal band have.

I really hate all these subgenres and nit-picking, but I guess we have to label it somehow in order to explain ourselves and pinpoint what it is we're talking about.

This is seriously the best instrumental music I've heard since ever. I've been listening to it for two weeks straight. Just put it on and go about your business, you'll thank me. It will make your day much more tolerable.

This is seriously the best instrumental music I've heard since ever.

Pretty good, but was that statement meant to be taken seriously? I've been listening to this kind of stuff for ages in the form of movie scores. Plus, if your statement isn't hyperbole, have you never taken a serious listen to Stravinsky, Wagner, Tchaikovsky along with the obvious Mozart, Bach and Beethoven? John Williams?

I live in Italy and my wife is a classical violinist. Trust me, I'm well versed in classical music, haha. I don't have a choice.

Classical music to me isn't "instrumental music", it's just music. I was referring to instrumental popular music, not necessarily classical scores. The Starbound soundtrack was made by one guy, not an orchestra. No orchestra would play it as it is because it's just too simple. Classical musicians don't like long, simple scores; they're not exactly fans of less is more. The Starbound soundtrack is interesting because it's very atmospheric and moody, and orchestras do not do atmospheric and moody unless they're paid really well for it.

To give you an example, every single classical musician I know thinks this is a shit composition because it's just a very basic progression and harmony. I think it's absolute genius BECAUSE it's just a basic progression and harmony. The strings are extremely simplistic but it creates a feeling that I get that they don't. It's all about perception.

Now, is this less evoking of these feelings than, say, Corelli's interpretation of La Follia? They would say yes, but I say no. I am moved in different ways by both. I don't see how one is better than the other. One is more accomplished and most definitely more involved and complex, but Corelli doesn't make me feel any more warm and fuzzy than Beck's Wave or the Starbound soundtrack just because it's more complex.

Although I tend to dislike Vivaldi's more famous compositions, I prefer his version of La Follia to Corelli's, whose is an adaptation as well. I'm not a big fan of Baroque.

Last edited:
Reactions: Talking Backwards
What happens when Adam from Killswitch Engage asks Corpsegrinder if he'd be down to do vocals on a side project?