Listening your own music?

Originally posted by speakinstone
I'm not a musician, so I'm just curious.. Do you guys, whoever has a band, ever listen to your own music?

I asked that question few guys from different bands and always got a similar answer.. when you get out of the studio you are happy when you don´t have to listen to it anymore :rolleyes: :lol: Mikael from Opeth even said that he doesn´t like it when his music is played at parties because people do that "thumb-up"-thing towards him then :err:
:lol:

I would imagine you'd get really sick of your own music after recording sessions, but you keep listening to it till it sounds perfect to you... with people just in local and unsigned bands, it probably isn't as bad...

in another interview though, i clearly remember akerfeldt saying he was a great fan of his own music...not as much as HIM, though! he tells an experience of his: once before a gig, they are at their hotel room, and HIM is staying right beside them. mikael said they were loudly singing along to their own music which was being played from a player in a room! lololol

Originally posted by Don Corleone
they were loudly singing along to their own music which was being played from a player in a room! lololol

And maybe alcohol had something to do with this, don't you think? :D

But who knows, it's possible that they like only HIM:lol:

If you like to listen to your own music, you're on the good way, I guess... I mean if you don't like it, why do you play then? (money? aaaargh you fucker)

I typically don't listen to my bands music that much. After being in the studio and and recording our songs, and listening to the mix over and over again, it gets tiresome. But it's different on the road, at least for me. We've been on the road for 3 months now, and our songs kinda have a whole different feeling about them live, creating a new life for themselves. I rarely ever listen to our studio recordings anymore.

Originally posted by podboy6
I typically don't listen to my bands music that much. After being in the studio and and recording our songs, and listening to the mix over and over again, it gets tiresome. But it's different on the road, at least for me. We've been on the road for 3 months now, and our songs kinda have a whole different feeling about them live, creating a new life for themselves. I rarely ever listen to our studio recordings anymore.

But I hope you like what you're doing?

Oh, don't get me wrong, i love playing our music in front of people. I like the music that we play, and nothing makes me happier to see other people get into the stuff we play. I think it has to do with the whole recording process, listening to stuff over and over again, that is why I don't listen to my band's music.

We normally listen quite a lot our stuff immediately after gettin songs finished in the studio, but after a while you only begin to hear stuff you should've and could've done better, etc, so I don't like to listen our stuff that much anymore. That is, before we get to record some new material :D

I still keep a few tapes. You know, a rehearsal tape from my first "band", a gig with the school band, some death metal combo that I once jammed with, some stuff that I recorded myself etc. Nothing spectacular though. I hardly ever listen to any of that stuff, but every other year I dig out a tape and remember the good old times.:loco:

And what we have habit of doing when having a few beers with bandmates is gettin out the latest gigs videorecording and watching our own gig in bad quality. No wonder we are usually the only people in the room :lol:

Originally posted by speakinstone
I'm not a musician, so I'm just curious.. Do you guys, whoever has a band, ever listen to your own music?
It's great fun to listen to your own stuff (when drunk)after the band you used to play have broke up. It brings back all those nice'n'painful memories in photo album kind of way. And you actually can hear yourself if the particular songs were any good or not. If answer is yes (when drunk) you immediately start to form another band.

I hope this breaking up-forming other thing loop will go on till I die.

ps. one person actually once liked one of my songs which is my 'career' highlight