The power of Alternative 4

requiem

I bleed sir, but not killed
Jul 6, 2001
Australia
Well, I'm listening to Alternative 4, and I have to say that it's one of the greatest albums I've ever heard.

I've been listening since 1998, and have my own slipcase copy, and the music is absolutely exactly what I look for in music.

Just thought you'd like to hear about a fan favourite. Everyone here obviously has their favourite etc, but I just wanted to comment on this album (p.s it's not my favourite Anathema album)

I agree completely! This is one of those special albums that we'll look back on in 20 years time & STILL consider it CLASSIC!!

The songs, from start to finnish, really are all fantastic & extremelly moving.

"Fragile Dreams" may be the best song of the last 10 years!!!!!!!

I agree with you completely. I just got that album and have been trying to get my friends to listen to it, I've made some new fans to say the least.
Anathema, one of the most under-rated bands of all.

peace

One of my favorite albums. It's very strange to me because it's not a album i can say it's full of technical riffs, or heavy, or really sad. It's a good album, it has great epic tracks as "Shroud of False" or "Regret" but in the end is just an easy going album, it gives no resistance to no metal listeners and it may be heard by metal listeners. More than worthy of the investment

Definately one of the best albums ever! But the song that hits me is "Regret", some of the most wonderful lyrics i've ever heard, especially the way it ends.... ;)

I agree....Alternative 4 is an amazing album. It's probably my favorite Anathema album, but that's hard to decide which one is my favorite. It definitely ranks near the top of my list. Great, great album. I must say that I enjoy the Pink Floyd element of it...one of the many great things about that album.

Not to be an arsehole or anything, but Don Corleone.. doesn't 'benighted' mean ignorant?

Cause you're using it as your slogan thingy. And I'm sure you're not!

p.s Love the Godfather. I've got the Godfather Trilogy released for the 25th anniversary or something. It's Coppola's amalgamation of all three movies so that it runs in order of dates in the movie, rather than the usual way....

It's really cool!

Originally posted by requiem
Not to be an arsehole or anything, but Don Corleone.. doesn't 'benighted' mean ignorant?

Cause you're using it as your slogan thingy. And I'm sure you're not!

p.s Love the Godfather. I've got the Godfather Trilogy released for the 25th anniversary or something. It's Coppola's amalgamation of all three movies so that it runs in order of dates in the movie, rather than the usual way....

It's really cool!

hell yeah, the godfather is my favorite novel in the world, and the trology is awesome...and about "benighted"...yes it means ignorant, bu hadnt i seen you on the opeth threads...benighted is one of the most fabulous tracks ive heard in my life. and the lyrics in my signature (from "when") just emphasize how benighted i am about my inamorato!

Yep, I'm an Opeth semi-regular. 'Benighted' is a great track isn't it. Hopefully the proposed soft album will have heaps of stuff like it.

I haven't read the novel 'The Godfather'. I had a look through it and wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it juxtaposed to the movies... Maybe I should give it a shot. It wouldn't take very long or anything.

Yep, I'm an Opeth semi-regular. 'Benighted' is a great track isn't it. Hopefully the proposed soft album will have heaps of stuff like it.

I haven't read the novel 'The Godfather'. I had a look through it and wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it juxtaposed to the movies... Maybe I should give it a shot. It wouldn't take very long or anything.

the novel is definitely worth giving a look, requiem. i dont know what else to say, it's the best novel ive read in my life and i am quite a reader. it gets you so hooked that you find yourself on the side of the mafia, feeling "oh this shouldnt happen to sonny, no..." or "please don, go into the drug business and son on..." mario puzo is a great author.

and hell yeah. opeth is my fave band on earth, and benighted is one of the best acoustic ive heard in my life. just cant wait for the new album.

it's my favourite album, all bands/styles. i've never been hit by an album as much as with 'alt4'. i hope antimatter will write bits that are as wonderful as 'alt4' - when i listen to 'saviour' i'm damn confident about this.

tho i must admit i'm really happy with 'A Fine Day To Exit' who's in my ears far better than 'Judgement', which was very good but not killer like all anathema albums, at least in my ears.

peace,
mehdi

Radiohead - Karma Police

of a p a r a c h u t e'

Originally posted by mega

tho i must admit i'm really happy with 'A Fine Day To Exit' who's in my ears far better than 'Judgement', which was very good but not killer like all anathema albums, at least in my ears.

I agree. I think 'Judgement' is a great album, but I've found with 'A Fine Day to Exit' a complete masterpiece.

'Judgement' certainly has its moments, but I could never place it alongside 'Alt 4' and 'Fine Day..' However, I'd still say it's on a par with 'Eternity' and 'The Silent Enigma'....

I agree. I think 'Judgement' is a great album, but I've found with 'A Fine Day to Exit' a complete masterpiece.

'Judgement' certainly has its moments, but I could never place it alongside 'Alt 4' and 'Fine Day..' However, I'd still say it's on a par with 'Eternity' and 'The Silent Enigma'....
same here, requiem.

hmmmmm. . . I personally feel Judgement is far and away Anathema's best album. Alternative 4 is indeed powerful and brilliant, as is Eternity and The Silent Enigma. AFDtE isn't quite on par, but is still a pretty good album.

Judgement is the best one for me. A4 is powerful, but among the last 4 records it's the most monochrome, and I love when music is more intricate and breathing. For what it is, though, for its bleak "dead-end" feeling, A4 is very good.

D Mullholand