The power of Alternative 4

Originally posted by thebleakaffinity
I just bought Judgement last week. It's my first Anathema album, and I'm in love with it. I've heard Looking Outside Inside from AFDtE and I didn't like it as much as the stuff on Judgement, but it was still pretty good.

Don't worry about 'Looking Outside Inside'. I personally think it's the weakest song on the album, although I still love it. It just takes a bit of getting used to.

Like someone already said, go for 'Alternative 4' next, then after that it probably doesn't matter.

Basically, if you liked 'Judgement' then 'Alternative 4' will make you change your pants.

Originally posted by StrahmCallin'!
Alt4 I think has strength in diversity as well. I remember Vinny saying at the time of it's release it will be the Anathema album that's a bit "different" from the others.

They've always been different. And a lot comparing to other bands albums... (Metallica also changed, but they just changed once: From The Black Album to Load. (perhaps also from ... And Justice for all to the Black). AND now they sucks, Anathema not!

Originally posted by MadTinus

"Perhaps"..???

Ok, twice, but it's not that big as from Black to Load.
Songs like Enter Sandman, Holier than Thou, Through the Never, Of Wolf and Man and other ones could be taken from Justice.

i never understood why people got so harsh when it comes to metallica. you seem to forget what they did for metal. 95% of the metal scene since the the mid 80's is influenced by metallica, directly or not, so i think people should show some respect to that band. i like very much some bits on Load & Reload and hate some others, but all i know is that these guys were and still are dead gifted and that they deserve respect. i can't wait to listen to new album anyway. long live Metallica!

peace,
mehdi

true, mehdi. metallica is a legend. but they became so greedy that they even sued their own fans (mapster case). and no one can deny the fact that their previous releases were much better and talent-requiring than the ones right now.

Originally posted by Don Corleone
true, mehdi. metallica is a legend. but they became so greedy that they even sued their own fans (mapster case).

okay, what if they don't want people to get their music for free? by the way, Lars Ulrich said once something like 'we're not taking action against Napster because of the money : i'm already so full of money that i don't know what to do with it' :D

i mean, of course that's a bit about greed. but well, they're in their right. they've got the right not to want their music to be spread for free, you can't deny it. agree or not, but you can't deny.

and no one can deny the fact that their previous releases were much better and talent-requiring than the ones right now.

then again it's YOUR opinion mate. i'm sure there are people who like Load more than Kill 'Em All. it's not about how much talent it requires, it's just about tastes. talent isn't something you can really quantify. Britney Spears is talented for the thing she does isn't she? is it a reason good enough for all of us to enjoy what she plays? of course not :D

peace,
mehdi

... did you like "I Disappear"? Did you liked when they said they wouldn't do more videos and wouuld never appear on MTV? Did you liked when they sued fans websites, FANs, just because they showed Metallica pictures? The are full of shit now, its not because of Load and Reload (since those where my first metal albums), it's because lately they have shown little or no respect for the fans, without true fans there are no real bands.

you're very right there mate and i agree. but when it comes to musicians, what interest me the most is...music ;)

'I Disappear' wasn't that good for sure, but that 'No Leaf Clover' or whatever the title was on the S&M album was really good.

still they deserve respect, not because of their behaviour, but for their music. they're musicians, not politicians, so judge them on their music, not on their acts/thoughts/words.

peace,
mehdi

well, like you say mehdi, that's your opinion. but my opinion is: yes they deserve a lot of respect for what they've done, but there is no way i can stand all of the things LoboUivante has made us recall.

well, im not sure whether it is really up to opinions when it comes to the inevitable/the obvious. for example, mama said is a good track, i love it. but compare it to something like "orion". man, a HUGE difference of complexity between them...this is scientific, not an opinion.

Originally posted by Mariner
Ok, twice, but it's not that big as from Black to Load.
I don't agree..., the change from Justice to Black was definitely the major style change from "heavy" to "soft/commercial" that brought them "fame", many mainstream people even thought it was their debut album cause it was the first album that brought them to the attention of the mainstream.
Songs like Enter Sandman, Holier than Thou, Through the Never, Of Wolf and Man and other ones could be taken from Justice.
Ahh, come on, you don't mean that do you??! Just listen to Blackened and then to any of those songs you mentioned, Blackened crushes those when it comes to heaviness and intensity. Listen to James' voice...

There's a change of style from Black to Load, it became a bit bluesier here and there, but they didn't get softer or more commercial or anything, just different but within the same "boundaries" of "softness" and "commercial-ness".

Anyway, made my point I think, I style like Metallica, Reload is a bit better than Load I think, but I too prefer the "old" stuff from the eighties.

I think that if Load and Reload were released by... let's say, Stone Temple Pilots they would be awesome... When im waiting for a Metallica's release i expect nothing but the best... or used to.

S&M was a great effort from them, but a lot of pissed of old fans are always whining about they got sooo soft so they could play with a Symphonie.... bullshit, it's not ANY band that goes up to the stage with a an orchestra to play... 4 guys against 100... No Leaf Clover and -Human were good, still they could be more "Metallica".

<<'I Disappear' wasn't that good for sure>> :lol: C'Mon man! It sucks big time :)

Originally posted by LoboUivante

S&M was a great effort from them, but a lot of pissed of old fans are always whining about they got sooo soft so they could play with a Symphonie.... bullshit, it's not ANY band that goes up to the stage with a an orchestra to play... 4 guys against 100...

Dude, I could toot Jingle Bells out my arse and sound more metal than Metallica these days.

Originally posted by Don Corleone
well, im not sure whether it is really up to opinions when it comes to the inevitable/the obvious. for example, mama said is a good track, i love it. but compare it to something like "orion". man, a HUGE difference of complexity between them...this is scientific, not an opinion.

sorry but i don't judge the quality of a song on its complexity or technical skill it requires. if i did this way, i would listen to Dream Theater all the day. i don't care if there are sweeping solos and crazy 9/5 rythm patterns in a song. all i care is if the music 'speaks' to me or not. so science has nothing to do in my tastes. how about you? :D

peace,
mehdi

well maybe if cliff burton had survived then they might have been a better band. jason newstead is a good one and that but cliff would have told lars ulrich to shut up. also he would have influenced the rest of the band in a good way. he taught james alot! still i think they can do whatever they like. it's their lives. and like they said at the dynamo, "we ARE metallica"
that's all. i never bought an album after justice and the 2nd and 3rd are my favourites.