The power of Alternative 4

have to say this album has a strange power on me since the first time I've heard of it. Especially Shroud of False gets me thinking deeply and it's kinda weird when I think it's only 1:35.

Are you all Beyond insane?!
Place Judgement along side with Eternity and Alternative 4 above it is just pure blasphemy! We are talking about an album that defined emotions at the highest level, talking about creations of a religion, an album to strike down a god with! Eternity is by far the greatest Anathema album that have ever blessed this pale world!

I think I am in there with Eternity being the best. Well, it is very hard to pick a favorite Anathema but Eternity is the one I would take if I could only have one. I think mainly because of a semi nervous breakdown I had while getting drunk and listening to it, very powerful.

did you know that Duncan played all instruments [except drums and vocals of course] on songs 'Destiny' & 'Alternative 4' ?

Alternative 4 is definitely my fave Anathema album, I think "Lost Control" is the most desperately emotional track on there (hail Duncan!), but actually there's not a weak moment on the entire album. "Judgement" has phenomenal songs like "Deep", but overall it lacks the magic of Alternative 4 I think, I think this album will always be unmatched. It seems the magic left the band with Duncan as he wrote many of the songs that I consider my faves.

I bought the Antimatter CD lately and there you hear that particular feeling again sometimes, though I don't always like the electronic elements in the music, but a song like "Psalms" is just beautiful.

Originally posted by MadTinus
I bought the Antimatter CD lately and there you hear that particular feeling again sometimes, though I don't always like the electronic elements in the music, but a song like "Psalms" is just beautiful.

Absolutely. 'Saviour' is a fantastic album, and it definitely gives off that 'Duncan' feeling from the Alt 4 days.

Personally, I don't mind the electronic stuff too much, as long as it doesn't overtake the overall music, which I don't think it will. Real drums would sound great though. I don't know why they want to keep the programmed drum sound going, but I guess it works well for them.

Originally posted by requiem
Absolutely. 'Saviour' is a fantastic album, and it definitely gives off that 'Duncan' feeling from the Alt 4 days.

oh yeah deffo. 'saviour' is the logical follower of 'alternative 4', rather than 'judgement' for sure. and i was quite disappointed when 'judgement' was released because it lacks this suicidal desperate atmosphere there is in 'alternative 4'.

Personally, I don't mind the electronic stuff too much, as long as it doesn't overtake the overall music, which I don't think it will.

well, i think antimatter is closer to trip hop than to rock, so we shouldn't consider it as a rock band, and it's quite hard to put them in any category, it seems they don't belong to any scene. and that's pretty amazing. the electronic is good for what it's supposed to do, and in that case, it just fits perfectly their purpose.

Real drums would sound great though. I don't know why they want to keep the programmed drum sound going, but I guess it works well for them.

they didn't have money to pay a drummer, and didn't want to have 'someone who wants to sound like Kiss or Stryper and who isn't able to write a song' haha :D

peace,
mehdi

I just bought Judgement last week. It's my first Anathema album, and I'm in love with it. I've heard Looking Outside Inside from AFDtE and I didn't like it as much as the stuff on Judgement, but it was still pretty good.

Originally posted by thebleakaffinity
I just bought Judgement last week. It's my first Anathema album, and I'm in love with it. I've heard Looking Outside Inside from AFDtE and I didn't like it as much as the stuff on Judgement, but it was still pretty good.
You'd better buy "Alternative 4" soon then, y'can't miss out on that one! It's better than Judgement if you ask me, it's the best...