Live Videos Thread

3 songs in Tokyo 2011 (audio only)
Needled 24/7
Not My Funeral
Was It Worth It?

Last edited by a moderator:
^This guy is awesome. SkeletonWitch puts the pitbull to sleep. I just found out. I'm sure the vids are awesome too, but I didn't check because COB makes the pitbull go crazy. You have no idea the stress level I have been dealing with trying to get this dog to calm down. There are even strangers at the apartment right now, but the youtube playlist for SkeletonWitch is keeping the dog calm.

Finally, I can get drunk. If only I had some money to buy some drink.

Wow I heard only NMF and it sounds way better then wacken,Guess like they really did need this time off ..
Can't wait for their show #3rd Nov

Is this detuned by a half step? There is something very different going on here.

dog isn't going crazy as usual too. this is definitely detuned.

The chorus definitely sounds different than on the album. The melody is also played by the keyboard to make it more distinct? I think it's cool that it's distinct but it definitely sounds better when played by guitar... Instead I think they should do a background with the keys and use the other guitar to do a supporting harmony or whatever it is called in theory, like it's done in this cover (well audible on the last chorus)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFVJgsAMFMI&feature=related[/ame]

No, I do not speak french. Unless you count any french word that commonly appears as a musical instruction.

Clearly, the guitar and bass were detuned without telling Janne. He seems to have caught on pretty fast. Alexi is having issues singing down a half step (half steps are hard- they can really trick the ear- it would have been easier on everyone to detune by a whole step or a consonant interval like a third or fifth but that would really be hard on the string especially if it's not brand new and high quality which I'm sure they are). Detuning a string has an effect on the harmonic series (aka the overtone series), and that is where the difference in tone arises between a string tuned as designed and a string that is detuned. Typically when detuning a cheap or overly stretched string it will vibrate a wider pitch range for each single note (generally it is preferred to keep the vibrations within 5 semi-tones- an easily noticable pitch difference is 10-20). I have heard that Alexi's signature strings are not preferred by musicians that habitually detune. I have not tested this. It is likely that his strings are designed for a specific detunement that most musicians who detune are not using. If you do like to detune, you should select a string endorsed by a musician who regularly detunes the interval you wish to detune. Honestly, the only reason for a rock musician to buy really expensive strings is to detune. Cheap strings will wear out faster (especially if you detune them) and need more frequent tuning, but new they will hold pitch fine. If you are just learning, it is actually preferable for you to use a cheap string as the need to tune it more frequently is good practice. Conversly, if you are just learning to detune you should put a lot of consideration and a little more money into your string choice.

I would be an ass and tell you that I can hear these are clearly Mick Thompson's preferred string, but it's just not reasonable to hear such a difference. Now, when it comes to the different materials used to make the string it is much easier. It is reasonable to expect a person to easily hear a difference between a steel string wrapped in brass and a gold string. Or perhaps a string wrapped in copper (would be easy enough to tell when it turns your fingers green right?)

Rhythmically, it is more exact. I'm sure that Janne started playing the chorus to help Alexi sing the transposition. Supporting harmony is an OK way to say it- usually we just say harmony. You might be talking about a counterpoint harmony. I'm not sure. A contrapuntal harmony differs from the usual harmony in that a typical harmony is just chords while counterpoint is transposition of the main line (both harmonically and rhythmically).

Speaking of copper strings, there is a guitar that has a look like steampunk. This guitar will sound like shit with brass strings. Although, I have heard of people using copper picks. I don't know how that is helping the tone unless they are using gold strings (for which you would need a metal pick since gold strings will be very very quiet).

They're actually designed as acoustic strings so don't feel bad if you only play electric and you haven't found them.

http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/redbrcobracg.html

Oh yah, found it:

There is one major design flaw: owing to the need for specific strings this guitar does not handle detunement well.

The chorus definitely sounds different than on the album. The melody is also played by the keyboard to make it more distinct? I think it's cool that it's distinct but it definitely sounds better when played by guitar... Instead I think they should do a background with the keys and use the other guitar to do a supporting harmony or whatever it is called in theory, like it's done in this cover (well audible on the last chorus)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFVJgsAMFMI&feature=related

Joonas from what I have heard in the videos of the first shows it did go like this ,The Keyboard want in the lead part and for some reason the added it to the song live ,Probably to support the guitar or something .. anyway good cover .

Joonas from what I have heard in the videos of the first shows it did go like this ,The Keyboard want in the lead part and for some reason the added it to the song live ,Probably to support the guitar or something .. anyway good cover .

You know they run the guitar sound through the keyboard right? I guess Janne has a little button he can press that turns it on and off for on the fly tone change.

I had to do something like this to get better sound (like not the crappy MIDI sound that is included for free) when composing with a keyboard connected to a computer running Finale. See, this guy was working on the new MOOG synthesizer (which is out now- I highly recommend it), and much to his chagrin I opened finale and played some different albums (Finale transcribes automatically) to get the MOOG to generate sound files that sounded like the band whose album was being played. MOOG dude was pissed. Gave me a whole lecture on fucking with other people's projects. But I got the sound files. Took em to a different computer in the lab (one of the PCs- the MOOG was plugged into a Mac, but there are only four or five of those in that lab unless you count the room they use for keyboard class) and that is where I did the composing. (This is after the initial two hour session which produced music that left my hands still with the MIDI sounds)

MIDI sux. MOOG rulz. lmfao

Honestly, I don't know why the guy was so pissed. Some of the sound files I left on his MOOG apparently really helped him out.

Thanks.

Hey, I got stuffed in the coffin. Can anyone tell me if my former co-worker Holly has shown up? She and her friend were gonna order fangs...

But really they're more like swans. I was told we needed more swans.

that is why it takes so long in the studio

btw
EMG-ALX-Set-Hero_CMYKWEB.jpg

plus
3462077749_346de51a4f.jpg

problem solved

Solos are not 'sloppy' haha , anyway that was an amazing show..
every song was great except for blooddrunk lead which was pretty 'sloppy' ;

Just when I thought it was going to be NMF .. shock haha

took me a few seconds to realize haha