Live Videos Thread

If there's no more embed then I'm outta here.

Yep, links are gone. Well, only thing left is the fan album, until the time comes to judge the next Bodom record. No-one's even making covers of them anymore on youtube or recording their live shows, so there's nothing to discuss.

Talking about lives, I've always wondered what "i-ka-ka" means because used to Tuska 2003 was my favourite COB live video and there before playing Downfall Alexi said that to the audience and everyone seemed to know what to answer to that.

https://youtu.be/j8RlG3-FtLs?t=17m45s

Hope, just some upgrading going on behind the scenes of this page :)

Talking about lives, I've always wondered what "i-ka-ka" means because used to Tuska 2003 was my favourite COB live video and there before playing Downfall Alexi said that to the audience and everyone seemed to know what to answer to that.

https://youtu.be/j8RlG3-FtLs?t=17m45s

Hope, just some upgrading going on behind the scenes of this page :)
Alexi told them to shout "Play punk you fucking dickhead!" and then went "Yy, kaa, koo!" (One, two three!).

Great performance of Angels Don't Kill. Alexander was the shit. He made Alexi and COB look good. Nothing like two guitar players with long hair, the light from behind and Jackson headstocks looming, that's good stuff. And Janne relegated to doing his job instead of fucking around. But those were the they days when Alexi was on drugs and alcohol, right?

I think in the time before 2003 Alexi was more real and took Bodom with passion, dealing with teenage traumas and darkness. He was also depressed. But then something happened, his music became more superficial, he adopted a different personality and started drinking. It's possible he started medicating on alcohol to escape emotions. The reason he still can't be alone in silence. His drinking was worst in 2004-2009 which is also when it affected the music. But the last albums seem kind of forced and uninspired to me, they can be technically Bodom albums but it's hard to tap into that frequency of truly meaningful music, especially when there's no calmness in life to get in touch with the deepest kind of creativity. Alexi should stop worrying what everybody thinks of him and just surrender his heart to an album, skip one tour or something. I of course as a fan only worry about them making another epic album, not how much they get paid.

Last edited:
I realized some time ago that a big problem in Alexi's sound is also his pick, Dunlop Jazz III. I tried it and it gives really trebly sound with a lot of squeals and harmonics - it is small hence you often scratch strings with your fingers. You have also to pick really hard to get your notes pronounced, which is a lot harder when you are standing than sitting. Good sides are easily made harmonics and light weight, but string changes, skippings and pronounciations are really hard to achieve. I really enjoy this pick for tremolo chord agressive riffing or some funky stuff, but I just don't see it as a good thing for metal. That XL thing is so much different and I use this one, feels more meaty, so to say. I don't know what picks he used back in the glory days though. These just add treble to already a trebly tone and it reminds me when I see Alexi completely fuck up sweeps in SNBN that this pick is just not good for this job.

Reactions: <Arcane>
He uses that small sharp metallic one, not plastic. I did too and it was great. Just my amp never allowed any squeals so wouldn't know about that.

I realized some time ago that a big problem in Alexi's sound is also his pick, Dunlop Jazz III. I tried it and it gives really trebly sound with a lot of squeals and harmonics - it is small hence you often scratch strings with your fingers. You have also to pick really hard to get your notes pronounced, which is a lot harder when you are standing than sitting. Good sides are easily made harmonics and light weight, but string changes, skippings and pronounciations are really hard to achieve. I really enjoy this pick for tremolo chord agressive riffing or some funky stuff, but I just don't see it as a good thing for metal. That XL thing is so much different and I use this one, feels more meaty, so to say. I don't know what picks he used back in the glory days though. These just add treble to already a trebly tone and it reminds me when I see Alexi completely fuck up sweeps in SNBN that this pick is just not good for this job.

I've been using the Jazz III for quite some time. Don't think it gives any more squeals etc. than a normal pick. The scratching strings with your fingers is something you learn to mostly avoid after a while. I absolutely disagree on you having to pick hard to get pronounced notes. IMO it's the complete opposite. String changes are easier than with any other pick I've ever tried, as is string skipping. IMO it's very bad for tremolo chords as it's small and tends to slide around in such things. Most places I've seen recommend a Jazz III for metal. The XL is indeed better for sweeping.

He uses that small sharp metallic one, not plastic. I did too and it was great. Just my amp never allowed any squeals so wouldn't know about that.

Roope used a metal pick. Alexi uses Jazz III. Wouldn't bet my life on it, but you're the first person I've ever heard say that Alexi wouldn't use them.

Last edited:
Hmm. I went and tried one of the XLs for a change. Sweeping with one of them is really easy. Rhythm stuff is nice too as it, like you said, does give more pronunciation than the regular JIII :D String changes and skipping is still IMO easier on the regular JIII, and it also feels much smoother to play (Doesn't get "stuck" on the strings). Hard to say which one I prefer really.

Well yeah, the regular one is also a great pick - and these are just my opinions :D I am too much used to the XL version, I went to the store to buy XL's but they had just regulars so I had to satisfy myself with that until XL's arrive (ordered them on ebay). Allu uses very light first 3 strings, sometimes solos really don't get pronounced well. But this new Bodom material is more about riffing than solos anyways...:rofl: