Looking for something cool with clean vocals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I second Katatonia 'The Great Cold Distance'
and Sonata Arctica 'Silence' (very accessible if you're new to metal)

everyone that keeps saying primordial, did you even read the request? Their vocals aren't clean by a long shot

I'd suggest Angra. They are a Progressive Power Metal band, might be just what you are looking for.

Holy Land is their best album, with the 'soft', LaBrie-like Vocals of Andre Matos. Its almost entirely Symphonic, Progressive Metal. Then there is Temple of Shadows, which is aggressive, fast Power Metal, with Edu Falaschi's vocals (more deeper and uh...manly, for want of a better word).

They have had changes to their line-up, nearly half the band split after 3 albums, so I think you will find what you are looking for, variety and depth.

Newer Katatonia sucks imo. Thank god Blakkheim has bloodbath,diabolical masquerade and was on some early bewitched. Newer Katatonia does not really demenstrate that he is a great guitarist regardless him thinking he's not a good guitarist, he better write a new bloodbath and DM because I am not interested in newer katatonia at all. The vocals kill that band.

When he gets bored with Bloodbath (hopefully soon) I'm betting he'll go back to Diabolical Masquerade :)

Music: Dark, agressive, brooding. I can't really specify in anything other than that it shouldn't be too power metallic or symphonic metallic or whatever it is that makes the music.. umm.. Mike Oldfield-ish (such as Symphony X; and Nightwish, which keeps reminding me of Riverdance or other such nonsense). :p

And that's it. So basically, I'm asking for something with simple, soft, high-pitched vocals, yet cool, heavy, perhaps artistic music, which beats the every day nu-metal.

I believe that the song that would best suit the band that I would so much like to exist is First it Giveth by Queens of the Stone Age. QOTSA is indeed my favourite band. :p Additionally, a question, to prove my newbiess: why is QOTSA stoner rock rather than stoner metal? Where herein lies the different?

You should definitely check out Isis. The vocals aren't all clean, but they're probably a lot more what you're after than a lot of the metal that's been suggested so far. Cool, dark, brooding music without the majestic metal wankery.

And to attempt to answer your question, QOTSA are stoner rock because they don't have the heaviness of Kyuss, the riffs and song structures are generally more rock sounding. Kyuss had a large Black Sabbath element in their sound and were much darker, and that's why they got labeled Stoner Metal.

I think we have the same taste. I would agree with others who said

Angra- Angels Cry, Holy Land, Rebirth, Temple of Shadows

Shamaan- Ritual and Ritualive (the DVD rocks! The best show I've seen live)

Circus Maximus-

Aquaria-

Pyramaze-

Vanden Plas-

X-Japan- Art of Life, Daliah, Silent Jealousy

Within Temptation- Silent Force

Epica-

Orodruin
Fall of the Idols
Ogre
Reverend Bizarre
Terra Firma
Burning Saviours

Wow I listen to too much Doom and 70's throwback. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.