Lopez Vs Portnoy

Lopez or Portnoy?

• Lopez (opeth)

Votes: 83 55.7%
  • portnoy (dream theater)

Votes: 66 44.3%

• Total voters
Speak said:
Don't even get me started on this. Portnoy is overrated. Peart beats his ass any day. It may not be totally drumming related, but show me another drummer who can play a syncopated 4/4 glockespiel line while holding down a solid 5/4 groove with his remaining limbs. Yeah, Peart did that. I could go on and on about drummers who do stuff that Portnoy could only ever dream of. Portnoy's a good drummer, no doubt, but he's in the second division.

In precision, Peart has Portnoy beat hands down. I saw Rush a few years ago during the Test For Echo tour, and it was pretty badass. What Peart does before every show (or used to) is take a piece of paper (one for each drum) and draws a little dot in the middle of the paper and puts it on the drum. Everytime he hits the drum, he hits the dot. Now that's precise. Peart has been playing longer than Portnoy has been alive but I IMO Portnoy is better.

SSJ4SephirothX said:
In precision, Peart has Portnoy beat hands down. I saw Rush a few years ago during the Test For Echo tour, and it was pretty badass. What Peart does before every show (or used to) is take a piece of paper (one for each drum) and draws a little dot in the middle of the paper and puts it on the drum. Everytime he hits the drum, he hits the dot. Now that's precise. Peart has been playing longer than Portnoy has been alive but I IMO Portnoy is better.

What the fuck? You've just reaffirmed how excellent a drummer Peart is, then go on to say that Portnoy is still better. In what way does Portnoy excel Peart?

Is it:

Odd time signatures? No
Polyrhythms? No
Feel/Emotion? No
Playing what matches the music? No
Speed? Not really
Complexity? No

Well?

Neil Peart and Rush who are obviously the basic blueprint for Dream Theater (with Metallica type thrashisms of the 80's and 90's mixed into their brains).
Peart and Rush have never played an out and out double kick fest. But Peart's inventiveness and complexity is obviuously brilliant. Rush songs breathe. There is space in the music.
I dig Dream Theater but sometimes it all gets a bit much.
Portnoy approaches his difficult passages like a mathematician. I have seen a clinic and thats how he explains it.
It shows. It does sound clinical and that is fine. But musical athleticism only achieves a certain wow factor that fades quickly.
I mean Images and Words generally gets regarded as the prog masterpiece it is because of the songwriting. Later albums just get way too involved. But that is cool as well if you want to dedicate 60 minutes of intense concentration to their vision.
Hoglan has been mentioned mainly in his role in Death and SYL.
I would suggest a listen to probably the ultimate album that signalled the end of 80's style thrash-Time Does Not Heal by Dark Angel for another amazing performance.

Black_paragon said:
urrr.... no.

I think I'm a bit beyond guildhall grade 1 and not near enough the 70 year old cigar chomping trad jazz stage yet, thankyou very much. Is that supposed to be an insult or are you just a beginner/trad jazz afficionado? That small thing you see is called a djembe, used mostly for hand percussion but sounds sweet if you throw it into a few fills every now and again. Actually I've rejigged everything to be more comfy now (its on a rack so rejigging takes a while and I was putting it off... feels better now though, for sure. I'll update my sig when I can be bothered, look out for it.

*look for updated sig soon*
It wasn't supposed to be an insult, but your response sounds like one.

It's just more comfortable to play the ride closer--moving it, one of the few primary parts of the kit, in exchange for an accessory (a tom), seems stupid to me--I don't know why so many drummers do it. It's not like you can't do rolls anymore either, if you set your kit up the right way. I've got three rack toms and have no problem doing a roll to the floor tom, and yet my ride cymbal is very close (I have an 8" tom above the hi-hat, and a 10 and 12 mounted from a cymbal stand--the ride comes out of my bass). When I'm at gigs though, I do usually only take one rack tom and one floor tom because toms are just extras and I don't feel like I need to rely on them to execute creative musical ideas.

And you know, that brings me to another point--I think it's really ignorant of you to consider a small drum kit to be a sign of a beginner (or a "trad jazz afficionado", which I suppose exempts you from me defending Buddy Rich, Max Roach, and, though it doesn't quite fit your "description", contemporaries like Peter Erskine, John Riley, etc.) Truth is, in a respect smaller kits are harder to play because they force you to be more creative. I can think of a ton of drummers though that don't even play jazz but kill others in their genre on a small kit. A few examples: Zach Danziger, Chad Smith, Bonham, even Gadd used a particularly small kit most of the time--and I of course don't have to list his credentials, being virtually the primary influence on all modern drummers today.

Peart is definitely the best drummer ever in my eyes. Before mentioning porcupine tree's drumming 100 other bands come to mind. Danny Carey I feel is also very creative and utilizes electronic drums well without making his drumming sound electronic. Laureno is also incredibly brutal and his drumming is very detailed. The portnoy vs lopez discussion is the same discussion as peart vs bonham. No one will ever reach a conclusion because their drumming is not comparable. Their bands are not in the same genre therefore completely different drumming styles are heard. Dream theater/rush are often extremely technical sounding bands. Led zep/ opeth technical at times (more so opeth) are bands that thrive off of raw emotion, and do not put drumming to the forefront of their music, rather then make the drums fit in with the rest of the music creating more feel than precision. All bands mentioned are amazing and are some of my favorite bands of all time.

But G Harrisson is better than Peart, that's a fact. I' don't think about what he plays with PT, because for him it's easy, he learnt the tunes in few days smoking cigarettes :tickled:
But he can play Jazz, Metal, HipHop, Reggae ...perfectly. I think you need to buy his method to understand what i mean, BTW my english is so bad !!! And he isn't just a teacher...
The old PT drummer was just good i agree.

PS: I love RUSH...

Bye

brooklynmayhem said:
Peart is definitely the best drummer ever in my eyes. Before mentioning porcupine tree's drumming 100 other bands come to mind. Danny Carey I feel is also very creative and utilizes electronic drums well without making his drumming sound electronic. Laureno is also incredibly brutal and his drumming is very detailed. The portnoy vs lopez discussion is the same discussion as peart vs bonham. No one will ever reach a conclusion because their drumming is not comparable. Their bands are not in the same genre therefore completely different drumming styles are heard. Dream theater/rush are often extremely technical sounding bands. Led zep/ opeth technical at times (more so opeth) are bands that thrive off of raw emotion, and do not put drumming to the forefront of their music, rather then make the drums fit in with the rest of the music creating more feel than precision. All bands mentioned are amazing and are some of my favorite bands of all time.

Peart really is a great drummer, and he's probably one of the best rock has to offer. But you really should see some of the cross-genre drummers like Weckl and Colaiuta...believe me, you'd change your mind about him being the best drummer ever.

I'd have to go with Portnoy over Lopez, but not by much. Many great drummers have been mentioned in this thread, but I cannot believe that not one person mentioned Matt Cameron from Soudgarden. He must have the quickest hands in rock music, today.

No one bags on Matt Cameron in my presence, bitch! <_< >_> Thats right! That guy is a god! Anyway, i saw DT yesterday and lemmie tell you, Portnoy has a reason to be as "overrated" as he is...the man was so quick, i could barely see his flying sticks! I was wholly reassured on that mans greatness...Of course i cannot play drums to save my fucking life...but you get the idea...

for the record Lars Ulrich fucking sucks!

Matt Cameron is someone I had not thought of. Some of the classic Soundgarden tunes feature great odd time drumming and having seen the band live many years ago in terms of more mainstream rock he is undoubtedly one of the better drummers.
Chad Wakerman of Frank Zappa fame who now lives in Sydney plays the occaisonal gig.
He played the most amazing drum solo in a fusion setting recently. So as for drummers I have seen live he is up there.
Also Benante from Anthrax played the most enetertaining solo if not the best "metal" drum solo I have seen.

Anyway I could go on. Many great dummers out there.

I had to wait until last night to vote. I finally got to see Dream Theater live last night (love that band by the way) and I have to say..in a live setting..Lopez is way trickier...more fills and just a little more interesting for me..I love that shit! Portnoy is a little more straight forward, and a KILLER drummer..don't get me wrong...but after seeing Lopez live I walked away saying damn hes good! The albums don't do him justice..either that or when I'm listening to them I'm in my Opeth trance and I just miss it! HA!!

Natural Born Chaos said:
It wasn't supposed to be an insult, but your response sounds like one.

It's just more comfortable to play the ride closer--moving it, one of the few primary parts of the kit, in exchange for an accessory (a tom), seems stupid to me--I don't know why so many drummers do it. It's not like you can't do rolls anymore either, if you set your kit up the right way. I've got three rack toms and have no problem doing a roll to the floor tom, and yet my ride cymbal is very close (I have an 8" tom above the hi-hat, and a 10 and 12 mounted from a cymbal stand--the ride comes out of my bass). When I'm at gigs though, I do usually only take one rack tom and one floor tom because toms are just extras and I don't feel like I need to rely on them to execute creative musical ideas.

And you know, that brings me to another point--I think it's really ignorant of you to consider a small drum kit to be a sign of a beginner (or a "trad jazz afficionado", which I suppose exempts you from me defending Buddy Rich, Max Roach, and, though it doesn't quite fit your "description", contemporaries like Peter Erskine, John Riley, etc.) Truth is, in a respect smaller kits are harder to play because they force you to be more creative. I can think of a ton of drummers though that don't even play jazz but kill others in their genre on a small kit. A few examples: Zach Danziger, Chad Smith, Bonham, even Gadd used a particularly small kit most of the time--and I of course don't have to list his credentials, being virtually the primary influence on all modern drummers today.

kind of making my point for me, with regards to the lopez/portnoy debate, I'm assuming you've seen the size of portnoys penis extension?
I'd rather watch donati, rich or gadd play a snare than watch portnoy play that monstrous joke of a kit. with regards to my ride position, huh? I can reach it just fine. the size of a drum kit means next to nothing, all good drummers know this, as you clearly do. However, I'm part of an artist development deal right now, in a fairly straightforward metal band, nothing too taxing, a good bit of double pedal and very groovy.... If I wanted a smaller kit I'd have one. I'd have thought this was obvious.