Lyric Poll

IN THE LYRICS: It's more about what I don't want to hear. Depression, self-loathing, anything that glorifies gloom and despair and invites one for a wallow in the slough of despond is not staying in my collection for long, and neither is shite bulletin-board-standard Gothic poetry. My range of favourite topics is quite wide; war, philosophy, religion and politics, fantasy of any kind - whether it's Jim Steinman's modern-day Peter Pan stuff or Bal-Sagoth's galaxy-far-far-away story arcs. Love songs are OK sometimes. Just general interesting stuff.

WHAT KIND OF SINGING: Provided it's done well, I can tolerate anything, but I prefer clean, melodic (or at least a rough facsimile thereof) styles over rapping, shouting or snarling. Examples of screaming "done well" include Dissection, Anaal Nathrakh and Behexen. Examples of it done badly - well, read the reviews section of any contemporary metal rag. 95% of snarling and screaming vocalists are actually quite bad at it.

HOW WRITTEN: Don't care. This depends entirely on the song, whatever works best.

Lyrics: War/battle, strength, occult, anti-christian, philosophical, depressive, fantasy, life, death, political, anger, hate, nature, spiritual, good times, bad times, space,...anything really

Vocals: Growling, screaming, singing, it really doesn't matter as long as it's done well.

How: As long as it sounds good.

Slavematic Sound said:
:hotjump: 1) What do you like hearing in your Lyrics?
IE : War, depression, hate, anger, life, fantasy, Love ,Peace, Girls, X-girlfriends, Parents, Philosophy, Christain Lyrics, Devil Lyrics, Bad Events, Abuse, Drugs, Racism, Rhyms that dont make sence, Ghetto, Money, Pictures, terrain, politics, end of the world, wizards, warriors, Children, Peoples Rights, Ect....

2) What kind of Lyrics do you like?
IE : High Screaming, Low Roaring, Pure Growling, High pitch punk Pop Voice, Low tone Pearl Jam Voice, Distortion/synth Voice, Grungy hard to understand voice, 80s Hairband voice, Trash metal punk grind Rhyms, raping, talking, wispering, boy band singing, Opeth Singing, Alice in Chains low singing, Ect...

And

3) How do you like your Lyrics Written?

IE : Offbeat, on Chrous with the rythm Guitar, Following Bass lines, 3/4/3/4 with the Drums, on Chrous with the Lead Guitar, Nsync with the Keyboard ect...

I like,

1) I like lyrics about nature mainly, and basically depressing stuff, like dark imagery. Not like relationships, suicide, depression (in the actual sense). Sometimes battle lyrics can be cool, sometimes they can go over the top.

2) I like the black metal screech. Leviathan and Nargaroth come to mind. Rasps like Graveland's, and wails like Burzum's and Weaklings also kick ass. Demilich's vox are also really cool. I can tolerate any vocals, except high pitched singing or wacky screaming. Hardcore vocals don't interest me either.

3) I like them played w/ the drums.

1) What do you like hearing in your Lyrics?

I like to have only a vague idea of what they're talking about and be entertained by the poetic value of the lyrics themselves.

I don't like lyrics about angst and/or wizards, though.

2) What kind of (singing) do you like?

Anyone that doesn't sound like every other freakin singer in the band's genre, unless it's noisecore or goregrind and that's the point.

3) How do you like your Lyrics Written?

36/11 time, always.

1) Anything introspective and provokinh, be it politics, philosophy, or state of mind. Lyrics about girls are incredibly overused, fantasy and battle lyrics are cheesey beyond beleif, and evil/satanistic lyrics are just retarded.

2) Screaming, half-growls (Friden/Hetfield), classic rock altos, atonal cleans (pearl jam/amorphis/sentenced).

3) Aligned with rhythm or bass

BTW, there's a small difference between raping and rapping. They're both inhuman atrocities, but one is sexual while the other is sonic.

i like lots of base but opeth depresing music, theater of tragedy, lacuna coil, great lyrics but there sound now has sorta faded i think it's the same goth as it used to be but i still like them the gathering has great sound, i think female singers rock the goth scene much more depressive,

but i also like slayer and pantera with there over powering voices and lyrics i think it's great