\m/ Thrash Metal Discussion \m/

Yes we have been talking a lot about thrash lately, so I merged these threads. Everybody keep on posting.

I admit that I'm not as crazy about thrash as RazorMetal426 is. Used to love it... but the fast tempos got annoying. I don't even think there is slow paced thrash. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In regards to Mortal Sin, I think their quality dropped a little after Mayhemic Destruction and then dramatically after Face of Despair. I dont think their lack of popularity was a case of isolation in Australia, infact the opposite would be true - being one of the few serious Aussie thrash bands they surely stood out all the more as a result of their location.

In regards to Mortal Sin, I think their quality dropped a little after Mayhemic Destruction and then dramatically after Face of Despair. I dont think their lack of popularity was a case of isolation in Australia, infact the opposite would be true - being one of the few serious Aussie thrash bands they surely stood out all the more as a result of their location.

i do agree with you that mortal sin fell into a bit of a slump after face of despair, and after the release of the record there was a lineup change and the following release "every dog has its day" was not nearly as good as mayhemic destruction and thats probly one of the reasons which led to their split up, but mortal sin reformed a few times since but came back for good in 2004, and trust me dude being on a small record label would not of helped sales at all, like take megadeth for example, we all know how good their debut 'killing is my business' is for thrash but their cd sales was shit compared to like kill em all, its because the record label couldnt advertise their album, and they even lost the original artwork for KIMB, which u could imagine dave mustaine at the time would not of been the happiest about that all drugged up and shit, but what im saying is no one would of really cared about fucking what australia had to offer because no matter how gud the quality of the music was without being able to advertise it was basically going to waste, like 20 years ago the only way of advertising was like the record label itself and bloody fucking playing the best damn concert every show while being on the road trying to individually promote yourself as a band, but fuck these days one word internet

OK, I agree better label promo could've made a difference but I still stand by my comments that they also werent able to keep up the quality which ultimately will seal a bands fate. Then again maybe they just set the bar too high with Mayhemic Destruction, that album was amazing and remains one of my favs to this day.

Kudos to them for getting back together but the reformation didn't display what I was hoping for, musically speaking.

And yes, KiMB is also a phenomonal thrash album!

OK, I agree better label promo could've made a difference but I still stand by my comments that they also werent able to keep up the quality which ultimately will seal a bands fate. Then again maybe they just set the bar too high with Mayhemic Destruction, that album was amazing and remains one of my favs to this day.

Kudos to them for getting back together but the reformation didn't display what I was hoping for, musically speaking.

And yes, KiMB is also a phenomonal thrash album!

Mayhemic Destruction is in my top 15 for favourite thrash metal album, its a shame they couldn't replicate it in later albums, because yes they did raise the bar a bit too high with this release which is similair in many cases for all thrash bands, when they reach their peak there is no where to go but down, and it is a shame their peak was in fact their first album.

I admit that I'm not as crazy about thrash as RazorMetal426 is. Used to love it... but the fast tempos got annoying. I don't even think there is slow paced thrash. Correct me if I'm wrong.

well im sorry dude to break the bad news to you, any slow paced thrash would be classified as groove metal, but if i could make a suggestion you might like some thrash ballads:
prisoners of fate by heathen
alone in the dark by testament
in my darkest hour by megadeth
etc songs like that
you might even like artillery they aint like blazing thrash like slayer and kreator
much more melodic and technical
hope this helps you out dude, im not correcting you by any means more just suggestions.

Demolition Hammer
QUOTE]

AMAZING BAND!!!
Municipal Waste
Testament
Overkill
Metal Church

Failed Quote lol, but I agree with you on Demo Hammer.
Testament is really breaking out of the Underground scene.
Their new album got a lot of advertisment and they even
got to tour with Judas Priest this year, I see Testament
getting HUGE in the future.

I beg to differ that slow thrash equals groove metal.. I'm actually listening to what I would describe as slow thrash right now. The album Bastards by Cerebral Fix is just slow to mid-tempo thrash, clearly inspired by Celtic Frost who also have a lot of songs that could be labelled slow thrash. Of course, when we think of CF today we would probably call them proto-death/thrash or whatever..

I beg to differ that slow thrash equals groove metal.. I'm actually listening to what I would describe as slow thrash right now. The album Bastards by Cerebral Fix is just slow to mid-tempo thrash, clearly inspired by Celtic Frost who also have a lot of songs that could be labelled slow thrash. Of course, when we think of CF today we would probably call them proto-death/thrash or whatever..

I agree aswell. Metal Church is considered Thrash by many
and they have a lot of slow stuff, but their not Groove Metal.
Metal Church is great for that reason, they know that they
dont have to play every song at lightning speed to be Thrash.

I myself cannot even start to explain Groove Metal.
I'll leave that to Wikipedia.

I'll leave that to Wikipedia.

Musical traits

Groove metal bands tend to play mid-tempo thrash riffs focusing on heaviness and groovy syncopation.[2][4] Guitarists generally play low syncopated power chord patterns and mid-paced guitar solos, and occasionally use heavy palm muting. The tone is typically described as thick and mid-scooped down with boosted bass and trebles, usually under a harsh distortion. Solid state amplifiers using transistors are commonly used to gain this asymmetrical harmonic clipping sound, although tube amps are used sometimes as well. Like most other heavy metal bass styles, groove metal bass lines typically follow the rhythm guitar riffs but are sometimes used as introduction to a guitar riff or as intermezzi when the guitar riffs are de-emphasized. The use of bass distortion is common. Vocals usually consist of thrash metal-styled shouts, hardcore-styled barks, and clean singing. Groove metal drums typically use double-bass drumming, with emphasis on using the double bass drum in waves, rather than rapid fire double bass and blast beats used in extreme metal styles.[5] Uncommon time signatures and polyrhythms are typical for some bands; generally these bands put heavy emphasis on the changing beat. Groove metal typically follows in a medium tempo,[2] but can vary from band to band or song to song.

Yer Ive always trouble of pantera in the whole metal genealogy thing. I guess I put them in the thrash bracket rather than they launched a new genre ‘groove metal’. Obviously they had a lot of influence of playing more rocky stuff before experimenting with heavier styles on ‘Power Metal’ and relaunching themselves on CFH. Besides there were Thrash bands that tried groovier sounds before Pantera. Coroner always had mid tempo grooves throughout there songs that was unique, especially from there German cohorts of the time, and that’s part reason why they were so fucking brilliant. Death Angel had grooves going all the way back to TUV on Voracious Souls and Final Death. Coarse they nailed it on Act III. ‘Among the Living’ is definitely one of the greatest thrash albums of all time and I tell you, a hell of a lot of it is played at a groovy beat. So any talk that slower thrash is less valid is bullshit. I love fast thrashy beats, and the ferocity that these newer bands like BBB and Gama Bomb are attacking the genre and just flat out thrash classics like Demo’ Hammer’s Tortured Existence or the first Sadus album are great but there is a place for slower tempos in thrash.
I remember when ‘Hobbs Angel of Death was released in…was it ’88 it was a big deal down here in Melbourne Australia coz Mortal Sin were a Sydney band, so Hobbs was the first Melbourne band to get a major international release. But when it came out I was disappointed coz because the songs didn’t seem as fast as they had live (any old Bell St rockers out there?) but a wise man from Pipe Imported records told me “Speed isn’t everything” I think he was right…
When Odin hung from the Tree of Knowledge I bet he wish he bought an ipod.
KEEP THRASHING \m/
(First two Metal Church albums fucking rock, the rest kinda sux.)

Failed Quote lol, but I agree with you on Demo Hammer.
Testament is really breaking out of the Underground scene.
Their new album got a lot of advertisment and they even
got to tour with Judas Priest this year, I see Testament
getting HUGE in the future.

thanks, I saw Priest on that Metal Masters tour, but missed Testament. I regret that.

If you are talking U.S. band that were the next tier under the 'big four'in the classic age of thrash then it has to be Overkill, Teastament, Death Angel, Forbidden and Exodus.
But too much is made about the 'Big Four'. Personally I think the Big Four of Thrash Metal were Drums, guitar, bass and vox.

You didnt miss much, Testaments performance was
definatly nothing special, the guitars were completly
over powering the vocals, you could barely tell what song
they would be playing, Priest on the other hand, was fucking
insane! One of my favorite shows to date.

Testament definatly, maybe not back in the 80's.
But present day Testament would definatly take the throne.
In the 80's I assume it would be Exodus, Demolition Hammer would
not have came close, as much as we wish they would have, they wouldnt.
Demo Ham is one of my favorite bands but I can never see them getting big.