\m/ Thrash Metal Discussion \m/

Has anyone here been to a death angel concert because there is one coming up this February in Melbourne, i just wanted some inside knowledge of how gud they sound live?

It still amazes me that more underground thrash bands like death angel and testament manage to come to australia even with the financial crisis at the moment in australia, not that its much of a loss but metallica hasnt toured melbourne since 97' or 98' cant remember what year, its the principle that really pisses me off that they would be one of the richest bands and also one of the most popular bands in the world yet they still cant find time for australia kind of pathetic really, it shows that all metallica care about is money and alot of it.

[ame]http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=QPu0DKyGgZI[/ame]

This is a new band that just surfaced
the last 2 years, they only have 2 releases
but they are both fucking wicked. They are yet
to be signed but im 100% positive by the begining of
2009 the will be due to the fact that they toured
with Slayer on the Unholy Alliance tour this year.
Plus they fucking rule!​

Last edited by a moderator:
Any one else had a listen to Guillotine, the new thrash hope on Nuclear Blast. Am I tripping or can I hear synthesizer or something in the mix. Can someone with a more expansive knowledge of the recording process tell me that noise I can hear throughout is made by guitar not some kind of keyboard. Since the mid 90’s emergence of Norwegian Black and Swedish Death metals, use of keyboards has been an excepted part of the extreme metal genres. But do they, or will they in the future, have a part in this thrash resurgence? I hope not. What ya think?

dude i gotta ask you have you herd of "Legion" and "Fuck Off" 2 great thrash bands from spain?
Sorry for the late replay :oops:.

Yeah!!!! Legion and Fuck Off are the epitome of spanish thrash metal! Legendary bands, both from Catalonia. Personally I prefer Legion but both are :headbang::

LEGION: In spite of being their most "primitive" album I would pick "Lethal liberty" as my favourite. "possessed" is a totally classic anthem. "Mind training/Por la cara" is Ok but they tried to focus on the spanish sung EP "Por la cara" because of the success of a song called "Mili KK" (in spanish) from "Lethal liberty" here in my country. After that, "Labyrinth of problems" was excellent but like title said band was a mess and they quit. Nowadays, their singer rejects from his past (he´s on an ultra catholic "sect")

FUCK OFF: Their two albums, "Another sacrifice" and "Hell on earth", are very, very good but they´re quite different. "Another sacrifice" is more Anthrax and Bay Area oriented while "Hell on earth" is rawer and thrasher. Pep, singer from "Hell on earth", has a band called Barbarian with a couple of albums but I don´t like too much, It´s a kind of Motorhead meets punk meets thrash with spanish lyrics.

Nowadays you can get easily reissues on Cd from Legion´s "Mind training" and Fuck Off´s "Hell on earth". The rest... good luck and a lot of money!

Any one else had a listen to Guillotine, the new thrash hope on Nuclear Blast. Am I tripping or can I hear synthesizer or something in the mix. Can someone with a more expansive knowledge of the recording process tell me that noise I can hear throughout is made by guitar not some kind of keyboard. Since the mid 90’s emergence of Norwegian Black and Swedish Death metals, use of keyboards has been an excepted part of the extreme metal genres. But do they, or will they in the future, have a part in this thrash resurgence? I hope not. What ya think?

I haven't heard Blood Money so I can't tell you if it's a synth or not, but they certainly don't have any synthesizers live. Instead they focus on kicking ass. You should check out their debut - Under the Guillotine. Complete Kreator worship.. but still really good stuff..

I for one hope that keyboards won't find a place in thrash metal. Of course, when I say thrash I mean 80's-styled thrash. If you play melothrash, progressive thrash or whatever kind of modern thrash you can do whatever you want. I probably won't like it anyway.
I was really excited to see Holy Moses at Wacken this year.. but I had to leave just a few songs into the set due to the fat bald guy playing synth :puke: :ill: :puke:
That gig pretty much summarized everything that I dislike about modern metal (not just the synth-guy's fault though)

I was really excited to see Holy Moses at Wacken this year.. but I had to leave just a few songs into the set due to the fat bald guy playing synth :puke: :ill: :puke:
That gig pretty much summarized everything that I dislike about modern metal (not just the synth-guy's fault though)
What:zombie: Holy Moses?! Keyboard?! Lucky i havent kept up with them then. The last one I got was Master of Disaster and that was a good comeback album. Actually, now I think about it I recall a recent review mentioning something about synths but surely they don't use them when they play their old material?!

I recall being played Rigor Mortis album at the time and didn't do anything for me, and wasn't exactly thrash as far as I remember.

^ I never get tired of watching Venom. What a great song.

The shows Venom did in the 80's were incredible! Tonight, when the witching hour draws near, I'm going to watch a Venom DVD:kickass:

Great thread :kickass:

I got well into thrash a few years ago, I practically listen to nothing else nowadays, and seeing as we're just brainstorming about thrash here are a few of my favourite bands and albums:

FORBIDDEN - TWISTED INTO FORM
Just fucking incredible! More intelligent and considered than most thrash, epic, slightly progressive and dark songwriting, and Infinite is quite possibly my favourite thrash song ever. So good I travelled to Belgium to see them last summer. The first album is great too. Let's hear more love for Forbidden!!

REALM - SUICIETY
Sadly overlooked, both of Realm's albums are great, particularly the second. Completely unpredictable, crazy time signatures, a mental conceptual feel. Got to get this album if you don't have it already! Especially if you like Toxik, check out Realm, they're much better than Toxik. Awesome vocals, the screams are triple-tracked and sound a bit like a horse :lol: In a good way.

HEATHEN - VICTIMS OF DECEPTION
A masterpiece of technical thrash. The production (and some of the riffs) owe a lot to Justice-era Metallica. But this album has more colour than Justice, loads more harmonies, and shitwads of great guitarwork. This album just fucking slays, especially 'Hypnotized'. Also check out their demos from 2005, some of the best thrash for 20 years....

XENTRIX - SHATTERED EXISTENCE
UK thrash, quite Metallica influenced with slightly punkier vocals. Some great songs with epic middle sections - Balance of Power and Crimes being two particular highlights. The Second album, For Whose Advantage, is also awesome.

PARADOX - HERESY
A German band, though not extreme as German thrash in general (Kreator, Sodom etc.) but a lot more progressive, great song structures. Melodic. The album is a concept album about the Crusades. Sounds rubbish, is actually brilliant. Get it if you like Realm and Heathen style thrash.

DEMOLITION HAMMER - TORTURED EXISTENCE
Excellent Slayer-influenced thrash from NY. Reminds me also of a cross between Annihilator and Sacred Reich. Hilarious album cover and lyrics, brutal vocals and awesome, awesome riffs. Also try their second album.

SACRED REICH - THE AMERICAN WAY
Their second full length album (third if you count Surf Nicaragua EP), they'd grown up a bit by this time. The songs all have intelligent lyrics which are plainly trying to say something, which is one of the things I like about Sacred Reich, they actually try and say something semi-intelligent. First 3 releases are all great, but this is my favourite.

I'll be back with more, that's just off the top of my head, some albums that I love. If you haven't heard them, hear them. And if you have, then well done! Thrash rules forever!

XENTRIX - SHATTERED EXISTENCE
UK thrash, quite Metallica influenced with slightly punkier vocals. Some great songs with epic middle sections - Balance of Power and Crimes being two particular highlights. The Second album, For Whose Advantage, is also awesome.

Nice to see anothe Xentrix fan, that band blew me away since I got the Metal Mind remasters, good call also on Forbidden and Heathen.

I also recommend people to check Urto an upcoming Italian band (they have a MySpace site), they are finishing their debut and it's quite good thrash.