Maiden| A Matter of Life and Death?

When I first got into the scene, I used to buy albums site-unseen. Heck, I'd buy albums just because they were on a LABEL that I liked(Back in the late 90s, labels like Magna Carta, Limb, and Noise especially).

But around 2000, I started ending up with more schlock than quality metal as the scene got flooded. So my choices were to either only buy from bands I already knew were good, or find ways to download the music in advance to know whether I'd be interested or not.

I'm loving it, I don't think you'll find a better song than "For The Greater Good Of God," although like several of the others, it could have been about 2 minutes shorter...

Pabla said:
Man, the shirt is sweet! I'll post a pic of it tomorrow night... can you post a pic of the patch? I might re-buy it just to get that item :oops:

Here is the patch.

maidenpatch.jpg

damn I need one of those for my jacket!!!! The girly shirt has that graphic on the front, without the Iron Maiden and on the back it says Iron Maiden
A matter of life and death.:headbang:

Pabla said:
I gotta watch the DVD... I was going to tonight, but last night I had a huge cricket or locust? in my bedroom that was making a horrible noise the whole night... I am barely with my eyes open as I type here at work :zombie:

Funny that you say this, cause the same thing happened to me last night!

Damn crickets are trying to take over the world.

i for one, welcome our noisy bug overlords.

I was letting iTunes spin away on shuffle when Maiden's A Matter of Life and Death queued up. Decided to take it off shuffle and listen to the entire disc. I have to say, I still really enjoy this disc. Granted... I grew up a child of the 80s. However, I have no fan boy allegiance to Maiden.

I still say, as I did earlier in this thread, this is the best Maiden disc since Seventh Son.

Zod

I was letting iTunes spin away on shuffle when Maiden's A Matter of Life and Death queued up. Decided to take it off shuffle and listen to the entire disc. I have to say, I still really enjoy this disc. Granted... I grew up a child of the 80s. However, I have no fan boy allegiance to Maiden.

I still say, as I did earlier in this thread, this is the best Maiden disc since Seventh Son.

Zod

I agree with you. It's as strong as any of their "classic" stuff in my opinion. I enjoyed the heck out of Brave New World too. That's a heck of a come back album if you ask me!

~Brian~

I am WAY too blinded by fandom to reply to this.....ok, I will. Fanboy ass kissing aside, I will say that AMOLAD is one hell of a solid disc, and is right up with 7th Son, SIT, and NOTB.

Hey Zod, as Brian stated, have you spun Brave New World in a while?? For some reason, I keep coming back to this disc. Fantastic production, great melodies, and Bruce soaring high (this was his first shot since rejoining the band and he sings like a man on a mission).

Drew ~

Hey Zod, as Brian stated, have you spun Brave New World in a while?? For some reason, I keep coming back to this disc. Fantastic production, great melodies, and Bruce soaring high (this was his first shot since rejoining the band and he sings like a man on a mission).
I don't recall liking that disc back when it was released. Perhaps I'll have to revisit.

Zod

Seeing as how I enjoy my fair share of Maiden and that "A Matter Of Life And Death" was such a highly anticipated album, I'm surprised that I never posted on this thread when it originally came up. Two and a half years later, I have to say that I'm in the minority when it comes to this album. I thought it just sounded like "Brave New World" all over again. The only song that really caught my attention was "Brighter Than A Thousand Suns."

In contrast, I thoroughly enjoyed "Dance Of Death." I thought they sounded more adventurous on that album than they did on anything they had done prior to "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son." "Rainmaker" should be heralded as one of their best sing-a-long tunes, "Montsegur" is one of Bruce's best performances of the past decade, "Paschendale" shows that they can get a little more technical, and "Journeyman" proves that they can write a touching ballad-like piece. I'll probably get a lot of flack for this, but I honestly believe that Maiden fans really didn't give this album the fair deal it deserved, while they praised the "heard-it-all-before" sound of its successor.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Seeing as how I enjoy my fair share of Maiden and that "A Matter Of Life And Death" was such a highly anticipated album, I'm surprised that I never posted on this thread when it originally came up. Two and a half years later, I have to say that I'm in the minority when it comes to this album. I thought it just sounded like "Brave New World" all over again. The only song that really caught my attention was "Brighter Than A Thousand Suns."

In contrast, I thoroughly enjoyed "Dance Of Death." I thought they sounded more adventurous on that album than they did on anything they had done prior to "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son." "Rainmaker" should be heralded as one of their best sing-a-long tunes, "Montsegur" is one of Bruce's best performances of the past decade, "Paschendale" shows that they can get a little more technical, and "Journeyman" proves that they can write a touching ballad-like piece. I'll probably get a lot of flack for this, but I honestly believe that Maiden fans really didn't give this album the fair deal it deserved, while they praised the "heard-it-all-before" sound of its successor.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

THIS THIS THIS.

For once, darling, we're in perfect agreement on a metal band and album. :loco:

I've been listening to AMOLAD for the last couple weeks and it's superb. I do find myself adjusting the treble on my stereo as on a couple tracks he sounds.... tinny??? I'm slagging Bruce's vox but I guess the post production. I don't know.. I thouroughly enjoy it.

I'm there with Zod a "child" of the 80's Die with your boots on is still my fave track. 30 yrs later and we still get the thrills of new albums and DVD! Patiently waiting for the release of Flight 666!! :worship: servant of Eddie!!!

Maiden is one of my all time favorites. I'm sure I'll take some shit for saying this, but The X Factor is probably my favorite album. Not sure why Blaze always got ripped so much, I liked his voice with Maiden. That being said, I like Bruce too.

I actually liked X Factor as well. Good dark album by them. I've liked the last few album by Maiden. I just wish the production would be better. The last 2 albums I've had a very hard time hearing Bruce clearly. Thought maybe my hearing was going downhill. So I put in some older Maiden albums with MB at the control. Bruce could be heard clear as a whistle. It was startling. Same problem I've had with the group Edenbridge. I like their lead singer, but I couldn't hear her that well. This continued for the first 3 albums, so I gave up on them. Hopefully Maiden corrects this problem for the next album.