Maiden's Australian tour set to be announced

First Soundwave bands released are always small. Gives them a moment in the spotlight, before Thursday announcement pushes them well into the background.

Think there will be 36 bands announced on Thursday to add to the 18 already listed. Then another 16 later on.

Talk of 2 metal stages as well this year.

Surely there'd be a contract *against* sideshows. Soundwave wouldn't bring out a major headliner like that and let them do sideshows. No one would go to the main event.

Didn't Faith No More do side shows this year? Not in Brisbane, of course, but I thought they did some in Sydney and Melbourne.

If they do Soundwave AND a Brisbane show then I'll go to both, because it's Maiden.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see sideshows as well. I just don't think it's gonna happen.

And Faith No More aren't on the same scale as Maiden. Not any more, at least. FNM aren't going to sell out Arenas on multiple nights.

FNM sold out 2 shows at Festy Hall in less than 2 minutes. If they played at Rod Laver, it would have been deemed a success.

I am sure the band would have more sway with contractual agreements than the festival. Most big BDO headliners of the last five odd years have done side shows, namely Metallica, Tool, Rage Against The Machine, etc.

As far as I know they haven't announced any dates for next year yet. There's plenty of room during Soundwave though, but if there are going to be any extra Brisbane shows they'll have to be beforehand as I believe the second show is the following night. I'm not too confident.

February 26 - Brisbane
February 27 - Sydney
March 04 - Melbourne
March 05 - Adelaide
March 07 - Perth

So maybe before Brisbane, then between Sydney and Melbourne. Hmm.

Still, the question has to be asked... why would Maiden do Soundwave? I still think someone should just start a new festival just for them and get proper metal bands on the bill. Maidenfest 2011! Yeah!

I honestly can't get excited about this possible tour -more so if they are involved with Soundwave. sideshows or no sideshows

don't know if it's the same with other people but with so much shit going on in my life just find it annoying and useless to try to plan for a trip to either Sydney or Melbourne, finding somewhere to stay or someone with a spare couch, getting money for all the extras up there and so on
last trip cost me a fair packet and had its share of major hassles (mainly due to forgetting my mobile phone charger and almost being left in Sydney)

the show itself was beyond great and awesome to catch up with so many different people I hadn't seen in ages
just all the bullshit around it was so tiring

if you add all of that to spending the majority of a day in a festival environment, then doesn't add to being worth going
even if they do something on the EPIC scale of Rock In Rio, still much hassles involved

oh, well

might change my tune soon

just bring on the new album! :headbang:

I'm not sure what the go would be with Maiden doing sideshows. I suppose it would depend on the budget for the tour. Whatever happens, if Iron Maiden plays Soundwave, the Big Day Out next year is automatically redundant.

Still, the question has to be asked... why would Maiden do Soundwave? I still think someone should just start a new festival just for them and get proper metal bands on the bill. Maidenfest 2011! Yeah!

Maiden always talk about being relevant, not a nostalgia band, and how they have a new generation of fans.

Considering the setlist is based on the reunion albums and the average age of festivals is younger than a sideshow crowd, they might think it's a way of catering to the newer punters.....

....or Rod's making a shitload out of it.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I suspect some people are already taking them for granted. "Of course they're gonna tour... but Soundwave? No thanks! Maybe next time."