Mainstream

How exactly did they go mainstream with Justice? Unless you're talking about them making a video?
I might ask the same question =) I consider Justice their most twisted album. The sounds are maybe a bit better, even if lacking bass and space. The Black Album then again... But it's still a very good album. Nevermind... that's way off-topic.

I meant like they started getting into the mainstream charts and getting played on the radio/video channels. And they did a commercial edit of the One video, which cut out most of the song and didn't have any of the parts with the man who had been blown to pieces because the video channels didn't want to show anything even slightly controversial.

The whole purpose of that example was I wouldn't mind if a band went mainstream, as long as they still had the same sound or a sound that I liked.

I like To-Mera btw - keeping this on-topic. :lol:

I meant like they started getting into the mainstream charts and getting played on the radio/video channels. And they did a commercial edit of the One video, which cut out most of the song and didn't have any of the parts with the man who had been blown to pieces because the video channels didn't want to show anything even slightly controversial.

The whole purpose of that example was I wouldn't mind if a band went mainstream, as long as they still had the same sound or a sound that I liked.

Yeah I get you now :) Although I do think that Metallica wanted the video to be full length so that they wouldn't be 'miming along' so to speak, but then the record company cut it to make it more accessible for people with shorter attention spans.

Back to To-Mera, I do think Blood was a fairly accessible song to an extent, though it didn't compromise the musical integrity of the band, so I do believe that To-Mera could become a bigger band without having to 'sell out' so to speak.

Back to To-Mera, I do think Blood was a fairly accessible song to an extent, though it didn't compromise the musical integrity of the band, so I do believe that To-Mera could become a bigger band without having to 'sell out' so to speak.

You're right. "Blood" has a more familiar structure in terms of the song, but the main riff and the verse parts were both a real bugger to actually play.

I think in terms of the band we have some limitations as to how much further it can get without a big tour of some kind. There's a big difference at shows between people who have heard us before and those who haven't. It's hard to win people over when the music is twisting and turning about so much, and to be honest it's a very similar experience to what I used to see at the early Opeth shows. While there may be a few people who can say "oh, I saw Opeth support Cradle of Filth in 1996" or whatever, I know for a fact that 80% of the crowd couldn't have given a shit about them at most of those shows. Folks just don't have the patience when presented with something that might take a bit of hard work to get into. It's human nature.

But much stranger bands have gone on to very big things. Primus springs to mind immediately. They're not exactly playing by the rule book yet they sold a lot of CDs in the 90's, so you never know :)

Primus actually really is a mystery. How the hell did they get so damn popular? It's like a little seed of hope that there actually is intelligent life on this planet after all.