Marshalls instead of Laney's?

ddicosmo

Apr 30, 2001
Nashua, NH USA
Visit site
I recently saw Opeth at the Worcester, MA show and both Peter and Mikael were playing through Marshall Stacks! That was kind of strange since both are endorsed by Laney and I would have expected them to be playing through Laney amps. Any ideas why this was so?

Yeah, that's what I thought. They are probably renting the equipment because it was probably more of a hastle to bring their amps over. But even so, one would think that they would rent Laney amps or even get some free by Laney to use. After all, it's about publicity too. I would think that Laney would want to see Opeth playing their amps all across America!

Hmm, well it seemed to me that back in the day when Opeth used the Marshall amps they coincidentally had much better tone (live, not studio, haha), so maybe they've gone back to the Marshall's?

So they just use the Marshall amps just for the power section? Do you know if they run the GT3's through the effects return of the amp thus bypassing the preamp of the marshall? Also, is the distortion sound that we are hearing live all from the GT3 and if so, what preset is it?

Almost ALL touring artists only bring their amplification, i.e. head and other rack gear if any... Like Sunbane said, the backline (which consists of cabinets and power amplifiers) are usually rented, cause it's much cheaper to do that for a tour, then pay for expensive shipping to get their full setups over here.