Martin Axenrot

yea im never really a big fan of drummers, but if you think about it, this shit really dosent change Opeth much because.
1. Drums, to me, still sound the same unless they r seriously chopped out from the original beat.

2. Opeth's drummer is STILL Martin! WTF is dat? Thats like 3 Martins in the band's history.

I like the way Mikael used to refer to them as "The Martins" not particularly suprising, but partially, quite amusing ^_^

Butttt, to address the topic at hand:

Axe is an awesome and extremely charismatic drummer, stuff in Bloodbath
is extremely sexual and the last couple of Opey gigs are a true testament to
his ability to apply himself to an already existing style whilst reinforcing it with his own, respectively.

Did anyone notice the supeeeeerb fills he did on Closure @ Wacken this year?

Yes we all loved Lopez and he's unparalleled blah blah... bored now! :zombie:

my friends father met axe and mike in times square monday night for the second time..they were just roaming and he went up to them and asked for a picture with em..cool dudes as always

I love the parts Lopez creates for the albums but he was a sloppy drummer live. I've read a lot of comments critical of Axe. I have seen him twice and Lopez 3 times and have to say that Axe has better timing and eveness in his playing. His playing with Bloodbath and Witchery proove that he can create solid drum parts. If you guys want to talk about someone who sucks or is lacking, talk about Lars Ulrich!

By the way, if Axe brings in some Bloodbath elements into Opeth, some more brutality maybe.. blast beats kicked in hear and there...

I'll be REALLY excited to hear their next album. :headbang:

Axe sounds fine live. He's still missing the dbl bass a little on Deliverance, but I think even most accomplished drummers would mess up here & there. It was very slight

I'm waiting for the new material before making a judgement in regards to his studio ability. Can he take it to the next level like Lopez ??? Time will tell. MLo's bass Patterns were so tasty & really fit well with the bands sound. Regardless of who Mike & the boys chose to replace Lopez, he'll always be missed due to his exceptional talent.

I think the next Opeth album may be their most highly anticipated album ever for several reasons. Lopez has been replaced, they're at the height of their popularity & Ghost Reveries showed a huge transition from previous works.
Personally I can't wait !!!

when i saw him at mean fiddler last year his Dbassing was sloooow as fuck (especially on deliverance and BWP, it almost sounded like a mic on one bass drum was not wired up and all i could hear was, kick - nothing - kick - nothing), but his hands were perfect. However, he had only been with them for a week or something. I just hope that he has really improved and people aren't just being unfairly bitchy.

I'm just gonna hate getting used to a different style in Opeth. I got to the point where I could be listening to a new Opeth tune and predict what pattern the drums would be after one bar, I could then air drum no problem :)
Same goes to Rush and Porcupine Tree.

I tend to listen to music that has this 'flow' that I coud follow since I listen to the drums more than anything else. I also know for a fact that Opeth wouldn't be one of my fav bands if Lopez's drumming hadn't impressed the fuck out of me. (I used to be a prog metal supremist that hated growls.. I had to listen to GR like 5 times before I knew I even liked Opeth lol)

All in all it's just another brick in the wall I guess.

Camille Regnault said:
Then maybe we should afford him the opportunity to "prove himself", don't you think?
Sure.

But sometimes it's about the intangible qualities that make alot of the difference between two technically adept drummers. Both can match each other lick for lick, but yet there's some extra "information" that is being conveyed by one player and not the other that makes the same beats just sound a little bit different. I believe Lopez clearly had this intangible quality, as it was obvious in the feel of the music. I hope Axe can convey that intangible trait that makes his playing sound special, even though everyone else can play it too.

BTW your sig is fucking huge.

I cant understand all this talk about slowing down. It is great if you can keep the pace live, Lopez usually did this gradual increase of speed in the songs on stage, which made the band a worse live-act. I like the fact that Axe is solid.