Maryland Deathfest VII

i'm in a underground local band. we came out of pocket to record. and ya know what? we give our CD's out for free. why? because exposure is worth more than money right now. many bands wont make any money selling cd's if no one has heard of them.

and the real money comes from merch anyways
~gR~

Keyword: Local. You don't rely on your music as much as a band who does this to a higher degree does. If you end up on a serious label with a serious amount of spending that goes into your music than you will understand.

No, but bands on labels such as Relapse or other semi-large labels most likely have day jobs which means they don't get by on music alone which takes up a huge amount of time with writing, rehearsing, recording and touring. This all takes up a huge amount of time, and even if you can make a living off of music alone it still won't be the greatest situation in terms of money. Downloading, while I do do it, does hurt the bands in a huge way. Not only the bands, but the record shops. I had to do an interview with Mark from Metal Haven for my school news paper, and he said that not only has downloading hurt the stores A TON, but it hurts the way everyone else is involved in the industry.

Of course, you won't make money to get on metal/underground music.

And I suppose you understand very well? You shouldn't rely on your music if you're making metal, tbh.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to rely on your music to generate finances to record your music, but maybe that's just me. I don't recall saying that underground bands were relying on their music to create a living for themselves.

And I suppose you understand very well? You shouldn't rely on your music if you're making metal, tbh.

this.

metal is done out of love. if i wanted to make money, id be in a cover band. i dont expect to make money. as a matter of fact, i plan on spending thousands for metal
~gR~

people want to hear songs they know. and having a live band is better than cd. people will pay to see a cover band, and they will stay all night. its like live radio.

every bar in town that has a cover band is packed. and co springs isnt that big of a town
~gR~

Wtf...I think I'll get my own room if I do go. You guys just argue about everything (it's pretty funny to see that 2 pages of pointless arguments were deleted only to be replaced by 2 other pages of pointless arguments)! Shut up and talk about the festival!!! :p

Shut up and talk about the festival!!! :p

There's only so much I can say about Asphyx, Hail Of Bullets, and Immolation until I get bored tbh.

You know who I'd really like to see on this bill? Nominon. They just made their first trek into the states (actually they might still be here), I'm sure they wouldn't mind coming back next year.