Maryland Deathfest VII

It helps people, just not the people who deserve to be helped.

Yeah, like my friend's bands when they sell their own merch. Or my friend Tim, who busts his ass trying to buy everything directly from the bands themselves. Or my friend Bruce, who puts all of his money into distributing music along with his own bands work. :rolleyes:

He means bands on labels...but I think he's forgetting that most metal bands not on GAY labels like CM/NB/etc. get copies of their own CDs to sell to make money. Labels really only serve as exposure, sometimes to help promote/book, and to cover a lot of the pressing costs of CDs.

He means bands on labels...but I think he's forgetting that most metal bands not on GAY labels like CM/NB/etc. get copies of their own CDs to sell to make money. Labels really only serve as exposure, sometimes to help promote/book, and to cover a lot of the pressing costs of CDs.
Nah, I think even if it's a local band pressing their own CDs and selling them themselves, it's retarded. The CD format is dead, and should be left to die. I never even understood people's attachment to it. If anything, buy vinyl.

o_O how is it outdated? MP3 albums are soulless and MP3 labels are made of fail/AIDS. A lot of the reason MDF is so fun is to meet people selling merch and hang out with label owners and talk about CDs you own, etc. with people who like the same kind of music. If having fun and lots of camaraderie is outdated, you must be mentally challenged. But this is only one reason really.

I would buy more vinyl if it was portable, which is impossible. Vinyl doesn't scrobble to last.fm, and since I've been a last.fm user for years and find it enjoyable to see how my tastes change, vinyl just isn't suitable for me in most respects (I still love buying it).

The CD format may be "obsolete" in your opinion, but is its very existence so vexing that you must decry buying CDs at all?

o_O how is it outdated? MP3 albums are soulless and MP3 labels are made of fail/AIDS. A lot of the reason MDF is so fun is to meet people selling merch and hang out with label owners and talk about CDs you own, etc. with people who like the same kind of music. If having fun and lots of camaraderie is outdated, you must be mentally challenged. But this is only one reason really.
lol, read our forum sometime, a lot of the vendors at MDF are massive tools. I go to MDF to watch bands, not to take pictures with the retard who runs Pathos.

I think he means "how is vinyl not outdated if CDs are?" Which is a pretty good point in the context of this particular argument/discussion/tea party.

OK you're right Pathos is fucking gay, but labels like Sevared and Comatose are run by people who honestly love the music and have very tight connections to bands and the people in them. They believe in the music and spend their own money to put it out, and I can't find myself faulting them; it's like any other hobby.

BTW, vinyl is WAAAAY too expensive for the average joe to produce (look up some vinyl pressing costs, I'm sure you've seen figures for 'em in the past...compared to CDs they're insane) and even to ship (it's a complete weight class or two different for priority mail iirc and can easily jump free shipping to 10 bucks+ NATIONALLY).

As an aside re: Pathos, their marketing tactic of sabotaging every CD's booklet with stupid promo business cards for their label made me not want to buy anything from them ever again. Owned.

I would buy more vinyl if it was portable, which is impossible. Vinyl doesn't scrobble to last.fm, and since I've been a last.fm user for years and find it enjoyable to see how my tastes change, vinyl just isn't suitable for me in most respects (I still love buying it).

The CD format may be "obsolete" in your opinion, but is its very existence so vexing that you must decry buying CDs at all?

Yeah, I can't imagine how anyone could somehow install a record played in their car

"Dude, you got some phat beats in yo ride! What you playin'?"

"I'm listening to Slowly We Rot on vinyl, mothafucka! Tampa FLA represent nigga!!!"

They're all outdated, obviously. But if you're into owning actual copies of music, at least vinyl sort've makes sense. The sound quality is better and you can actually appreciate the artwork.

I'll stick to digital music though. Can get it in the same exact quality as a CD, it doesn't take up space, it's free :] (though I would be willing to pay for it if it's done right), and you can fit thousands of songs onto a player the size of a deck of cards.

Vinyl has been the compulsory format in almost every genre in underground, independent music and still is; if there exists such a thing as "sacred," Latin, renaissance art, Ingmar Bergman, and vinyl records fall in this category amongst numerous other things.