Maryland Deathfest VII

I'm an avid downloader and have been for 5+ years, but I have been spending more and more in the past couple years on owning a nice CD collection that makes me both proud to own some things (liner notes are interesting, you know...you can't usually get those with digital copies of albums unless they're excellently ripped by an awesome person) and happy to support the people putting their time, money, heart, LIVES into this genre I love.

But that's me.

There's the answer to why Crucified Coma is such a faggot. He needs to justify his chronic illegal downloading habit.
I see no need to justify it, but I spend tons of money on going to shows and buying other shit from bands, and 99% of the bands are ones that I've discovered through file sharing. And I've asked plenty of bands if they care, and every single one of them has said that they'd rather I buy a t-shirt or go to their show.

Yeah, I can't imagine how anyone could somehow install a record played in their car

"Dude, you got some phat beats in yo ride! What you playin'?"

"I'm listening to Slowly We Rot on vinyl, mothafucka! Tampa FLA represent nigga!!!"

you can transfer vinyl to mp3 though. and alot of stuff only comes out on 7"
~gR~

I see no need to justify it, but I spend tons of money on going to shows and buying other shit from bands, and 99% of the bands are ones that I've discovered through file sharing. And I've asked plenty of bands if they care, and every single one of them has said that they'd rather I buy a t-shirt or go to their show.

To be fair, none of this justifies the illegality of downloading music. And also, it's not "stealing." Nothing is lost. It is "copying" to be semantically correct.

GR: ripping vinyl to mp3 destroys the entire point UNLESS it's something you can't get on another format.

They're all outdated, obviously. But if you're into owning actual copies of music, at least vinyl sort've makes sense. The sound quality is better and you can actually appreciate the artwork.

actually, i read an article that might debunk this theory. most people pressing vinyl these days are asking for digital files as the master copy which they press from.

vinyl original "organic" sound came from the analog production. lemme go find that article...
~gR~

I'm an avid downloader and have been for 5+ years, but I have been spending more and more in the past couple years on owning a nice CD collection that makes me both proud to own some things (liner notes are interesting, you know...you can't usually get those with digital copies of albums unless they're excellently ripped by an awesome person) and happy to support the people putting their time, money, heart, LIVES into this genre I love.

But that's me.

Downloading can help younger people who are getting into a certain genre try and find what makes them interested. I think that a CD/vinyl copy is the most important part of obtaining music but downloading can help those get MORE music in LESS time.

BUT, I also think that it kills the feeling of waiting for an album that you had high hopes for and getting the full package and supporting whom you are buying from, the people who made the music, the people who made the art and everyone else involved. Music seems to have lost passion and nothing seems as "grand" as it used to be a few years back. I am not saying V5 is "lazy" in anyway, but I think a majority of the younger music fans are lazy when obtaining and supporting music, mostly underground.

Nobody gets what I am saying, right?

All that stuff about waiting for an album and going to the store and finally buying it and running home and listening to it while reading along with the lyrics and shit is cool and all, I did that a lot when I was younger, but it's still secondary to the most important part: people hearing the music. Yeah, digital distribution has changed the experience of how people get music. Some people think it's for the worse, I personally think it doesn't matter. All that should matter is the music. And people hearing it. Isn't the whole point of bands releasing music is for the most amount of people possible to hear what they've created? Digital music makes that way more possible. Whether record labels, or bands, are making less money because of that...oh well. It's because they haven't yet adapted to the changing market place. They're trying to hold on to their outdated system. Instead of wasting time/money shutting down torrent sites and Napster (which has had zero effect), they should be looking into ways of embracing this change, or at least the bands should. Thankfully this will probably phase out record labels, or at least completely change their role in the music industry and maybe make them less cancerous to the scene. Anyway, the point: I can't imagine how more people hearing way more music is bad. The greedy fucks are just pissed they haven't figured out a way to make money off it yet.

There is a middle ground between leech and saint who buys all his music you know...I'm part of it :p

GR: true, record labels pressing vinyl are asking for digital masters. That does NOT necessitate an "mp3 master" which I could NEVER EVER FUCKING RECOMMEND TO ANYONE SMART ENOUGH TO DO VINYL. MP3s are compressed files, meaning small pieces of the original production are missing so that the file size can be "compressed" and more portably-sound. Digital masters for CDs, tapes, vinyls, etc are almost always (once again, UNLESS you are a douchenozzle who has no idea what he's doing) FLAC or WAV encoded, which are uncompressed or even lossless, meaning none of the original production was lost. Studio production has nothing to do with how a vinyl comes out; how the master is made into the test press for a vinyl is what matters.

I was just saying it again to show that Nec said what I said in a shorter form. Though, I think it was a brilliant post on my part.

I wish more people were like me and would buy music they had previously downloaded, deleting the downloaded copy to play the physical CD whenever they want. :)

Recording and touring takes money. Underground bands especially won't get any money if everyone just downloads their music. It's caused more than one band to split up because they weren't able to financially support their work.

Recording and touring takes money. Underground bands especially won't get any money if everyone just downloads their music. It's caused more than one band to split up because they weren't able to financially support their work.

i'm in a underground local band. we came out of pocket to record. and ya know what? we give our CD's out for free. why? because exposure is worth more than money right now. many bands wont make any money selling cd's if no one has heard of them.

and the real money comes from merch anyways
~gR~

Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot that you're paying to go on tour and that you had to pay a large sum to spend a significant amount of time in studio either with session musicians or real producers and engineers. Recording professionally requires money that a band won't get if nobody buys their album, and nobody will buy merchandise if the band can't afford to tour. Clearly, you have no idea what I was talking about.

well I know from the a mate who runs an independent label in the electronic music scene that he makes nothing on music sales be they mp3, cd or vinyl... all the money comes from touring... I buy cd's coz I like to have the music in a decent format that can be played almost anywhere... I use a mp3 player for stuff like plane flights and bus trips... cd's are awesome... you get a great package and you tend to spend more time researching, I love spending my day going to my fav stores and searchign to find somehting new... much more funthan spendig my day sitting on itunes or some such shit.