melo-death vs. brutal death

what is your favorite?

• brutal death metal

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • melodic death metal

Votes: 41 67.2%

• Total voters
I still consider early Dark Tranquillity Melodic Death Metal.

hmm fair enough. Does this include up until The Gallery? cause I would probably be more apt to place that in the 'Gothenburg' subgenre. But whatever, this is kinda beside the point.

Well I mean that I consider Dark Tranquillity's early albums as I do Arghoslent and Intestine Baalism and At The Gates' early stuff, as opposed to later At The Gates, In Flame, etc.

like anyone didn't see that coming a mile away. "hey dudes, lets put more soft parts and melodies in our next album!" "yeah, dude that sounds cool, maybe if we do it enough we can tour with Linkin Park!"

Well I mean that I consider Dark Tranquillity's early albums as I do Arghoslent and Intestine Baalism and At The Gates' early stuff, as opposed to later At The Gates, In Flame, etc.

Edit: I think The Gallery is kind of the bridge between the two styles.

Everyone should consider the difference this way.

I chose brutal death, as Suffocation seems to trump any of the melodic death metal I've heard, that genre is to poppy for my tastes and the lyrics often put me off. Also the more generic brutal death bands such as Waco Jesus I still find tolerable and often fun. Keeping in mind that when I think "melodic death metal" I think of the movement originating in Gothenburg, not death metal that happens to be melodic like Arghoselnt or Intestine Baalism and have little if anything to do with that scene.

I'm not all that fond of death metal in general, unless it's doom/death. I do, however, like melodeath such as In Flames or whatever, and though it's not exactly very 'death metal' in the sound, it's goddamn awesome when you just want something simple, loud and entertaining.

Brutal Death Metal:
Skinless
Suffocation
Wormed
Nile

Melodic Death Metal:
Arsis
Arch Enemy
Hypocrisy
Amon Amarth
Carcass

Hard choice but I'll Melodic Death Metal. More memorable and well written songs IMO.

I have proof the best melodeath is Eucharist - A Velvet Creation. At The Gates wasn't melodeath until Terminal Spirit Disease. Brutal death is a lot harder to do right, and you get a lot of crap bands as a result.