Metal 2016

Is the new Death Angel good?

As a Death Angel fan, I'm underwhelmed by the tracks that have been released to youtube. It's currently low on my priority list. I actually bought the Art of Dying instead with birthday money(2 disc digipak on Amazon. Includes Killing Season which I already had, but TAoD was more expensive as a standalone disc). I don't know if I would say that TAoD is better or worse than TEW, but the nostalgia and the catchiness of certain songs on TAoD for me easily beat out what has been sampled from TEW. Especially considering my expectations coming off the last album.

Separately: The Winged Waltz has not disappointed like the new Katatonia did imo. It's no "A Thin Shell", but it's solid. Very happy with the purchase.

Better than of breath and bone?
They made slight changes to their overall sound, it's a bit more progressive and texturous. Some of their best songs in there, though I'll probably end up preferring OBAB and Stone's Reach somewhat.

As for starting point with Be'lakor, it's a tough question because they're so consistent. Of Breath and Bone is my favourite and probably their most to-the-point record.

Last edited: