Metal 2016

You're right. I meant they formed as a death metal outfit as a result of the influence of the overspill of death metal from Sweden next door. They, as you likely know, became a black metal band in the early 90's when Fenriz and Nocturno decided they didn't want to sound like the dime a dozen hordes of Swedish death metal groups.

I read that they wanted to change their sound because death metal was seen as being very trendy, but not necessarily because they thought they would sound the same as many other death metal bands.
I think it's evident that they actually had quite a unique sound within the death metal realm and that was further demonstrated if you listen to the Goatlord recordings.

Soulside Journey is one of the best death metal records ever created in my opinion, you can hear a lot of Autopsy in it.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
"Grave With A View" (track 7) is probably one of my favourite tracks off the album, that said I do think the first half of the record is the best half. It might be more perfect a release if they replaced "Accumulation Of Generalization" with "Grave With A View" and turned it into an EP by chopping it in half.

I don't get bored halfway through or anything though. Love every bit of that album.

When it comes to Darkthrone, I don't get bored listening to Transilvanian Hunger, F.O.A.D. and A Blaze in the Northern Sky. Once upon a time I tried listening to Sardonic Wrath and it made me fucking tired.

Reactions: CiG
I read that they wanted to change their sound because death metal was seen as being very trendy, but not necessarily because they thought they would sound the same as many other death metal bands.
I think it's evident that they actually had quite a unique sound within the death metal realm and that was further demonstrated if you listen to the Goatlord recordings.

Soulside Journey is one of the best death metal records ever created in my opinion, you can hear a lot of Autopsy in it.
It was the trendiness too, but it was also the sound as well. Just look at Fenriz's comments on how he felt Chuck Schuldiner made the genre too technical, etc. He didn't like the idea of even being in the same genre, unique sound or not (which, I agree, they certainly had a sound all their own). As far as I can tell, he felt that alone was too great a similarity in sonic landscape. Soulside is without question a death metal classic, for sure, and one of Darkthrone's best albums, you'll get no argument from me on that.

One of the reasons why Darkthrone stopped playing Death Metal is because the Florida bands wore shorts.