Metal 2016

It started before that album with tracks like this.

How is it retro metal though? You haven't actually explained shit. There are plenty of metal bands that play narrow-minded, stuck-in-the-80's metal like Deathhammer, Old or Omega, yet it's only Darkthrone that is given this special status of derivative retro metal.

It's retro metal because it's purpose is trying to recapture an older metal sound. I've explained this several times actually. Fair enough on Graveyard Slut being indicative of it prior to F.O.A.D., I almost forgot about that aborted trainwreck. I give Darkthrone that designation because they aren't good at it, there are a gazillion other bands who are doing it and are good at it, but Darkthrone keep doing it anyways. I say it because they're a poor, unnecessary evocation of the bands they're worshipping.

Most great bands are trying to recapture an older metal sound. That's not what equals retro metal as a trend, retro metal is specifically bands with a gimmick like the bands you praised earlier. Darkthrone are just old school metal, it's a different thing you tard.

That's what I meant. Retro metal bands are bands who have a gimmick of recapturing certain sounds. Darkthrone aren't old school metal, they're a poor imitation of it.

How can you be a poor imitation of something you're not? Makes no sense.

In all of this vomit of dumb opinions, I have this strong feeling that if Darkthrone were any other band you'd like their music and if Bullet were Darkthrone you'd hate it instead.

Pardon me, I misspoke and followed my lapse in logic a comment too far. My bad. What I should've said is that they're poor imitation of retro metal. I know, that made me sound like a retard following that thread down the rabbit hole, my mistake.

Well I agree that they're a poor imitation of retro metal, because they're not retro metal.

This has become circular, lets argue again in a month. I might go listen to some Darkthrone now, I haven't blasted Goatlord in ages.

They are retro metal these days, but whatever. I might go listen to some Darkthrone too now, you know, the albums that are worthwhile *COUGH COUGH COUGH* THE FIRST SIX OR SEVEN *COUGH COUGH COUGH*.

People just refuse to not cry about Darkthrone. If they were still playing traditional black metal everyone would hate that too.

I don't really get calling them retro metal, pretty sure that's reserved for new bands annnnnd the metal they're currently playing doesn't really exist other than them. Bands like Martyrdod are similar but lack the traditional heavy metal moments and drunk Henry Rollins hardcore vocals.

Reactions: CiG
People just refuse to not cry about Darkthrone. If they were still playing traditional black metal everyone would hate that too..

I don't think this is necessarily true, provided it was up to the quality of their early work. I'm glad they evolved into a new style rather than risking becoming redundant, though. Newer Darkthrone is cool, but can't compare to their first 5 for me. Still there aren't many bands where I can listen to 7+ releases so I'd count them amongst the best metal bands ever.

Also, their change in sound from Soulside Journey to the next 4 records was hardly organic. They just decided that death metal was too trendy and they were going to play black metal instead.

Reactions: CiG
Only heard dark thrones and black flags of their newer style. It was just ok. What's their best release of the current shit they're doing?

Also, listened to that Uada album because i heard it was Dawn worship. Shit was mad cheesy, and not in a great Curse of the Pharaohs way, but just in an off-putting way. And it wasnt good, and definitely not Dawn worship. 2016 has been pretty weak overall.