Metal scene in Atlanta

ruinandmisery said:
Well, our assuming was wrong. The Type O show was sold out! I was put on the guest list, but a friend drove from Savannah, so I got her in instead, the rest of us hung out for a few and headed on our way. This truly sucked...did'nt see anyone from the board. I thought I saw lara, but there were a few girls there with pink hair, so I did not want to look like an idiot of course, so I did not say anything...

:JP:
www.lilitu.ws

down in front? dang it!!!! and i was looking for you. :p i was the pink pigtails and all in black with the geek boy attached to me.

Lara, I kind of figured that was you, I did not want to feel like an idiot. We were having big problems with the Masquearde as we were all to be on the guest list, but I was the only one on there from the band. One of our friends drove all the way from Savannah to see the show, so I let her go in my place. We will have to meet up somewhere soon! Let me know! Also, who is the guy that was with you, is that your man?

-Jason

www.lilitu.ws

ratanda said:
Hey Ryan, thanks a lot man. Glad you like the CD! If anyone else wants one, just let me know. We're playing Oct 4 with Enders Game at Breakers. Email/IM me for directions, price, etc.

dammit, I'll be in the middle of a 26 hour long workshop with my improv comedy troupe that's been a big tradition for me/us for 4 years now... I'll plan on the November 1st show with Signs of Dying and Lilitu

Ryan

It's not that Atlanta has a big metal scene, it's that it's a big city, so 99% of tours have a date there. (Of course, Helloween couldn't make it down there. CURSES!!!)

BTW I was at Type O, talked to someone that posts here but don't remember their username.

November 1 with who all playing and which venue? That's a Saturday night, which would be good for me as I would be travelling and have weekends off. Plus there is "some big show" the night before at the Masquerade, so that could be a really good travel weekend for me. Mucho metal, si?

Aethyr said:
Well if it's some obscure band you're probably not gonna see them, but I've found that most tours hit Atlanta. It's THE city for the southeast.

The problem is that most tours skip the southeast entirely, and half the ones that come through will hit Ground Zero in Spartanburg instead of Atlanta.

You have to live in the Washington DC, New York City, or Chicago areas to be assured getting most, if not all, metal tours that come through the US...

That's why I said 99% of shows come to Atlanta. I realize we don't get every show, but it isn't like we get jipped on concerts left and right.

Entropy - 9/19
Samael and Strapping Young Lad - 9/24
Radiohead - 10/6
Staind - 10/7 (I don't like them but they're still considered "rock")
REM - 10/11
Nickelback - 10/22
G3 - 10/29
Nile, Kreator, Goatwhore, Amon Amarth - 10/31
Slayer - 11/5
KMFDM - 11/8
Deftones 11/13

Okay, and that's not even counting the bands that might be metal and I don't recognize. I don't feel like Atlanta is missing out at all. :)

Yeah, but Maiden skipping out on the Southeast is a slap in the face, I don't care how old they are feeling and how much the touring is affecting them. Blow off a damn show in L.A. for a change and give somebody else a chance, thay can always come back to L.A. for special U.S. tours.
In addition, feel lucky that you people in Atlanta get anything. The best Charlotte is getting anytime soon is King's X, wait - thats all we are getting anytime soon.
I end up having to drive 4 hrs to Atl or 2.5 to Winston -Salem, NC which isn't even close to the size of Atlanta or Charlotte and gets 3x the shows Charlotte gets.
I think it's time to fucking move!!!!

Everybody from everywhere seems to bitch about some tour that skipped their town; Jesus, to hear you guys tell it, we never have ANY shows in Atlanta.

I hope Glenn's reading this, so he will realize that he will make a shitload more money if he moves ProgPower to Spartanburg; maybe he can even get the Marshall Tucker Band to play the pre-party (which he could probably hold at either Waffle House or Stuckey's)...

James said:
I hope Glenn's reading this, so he will realize that he will make a shitload more money if he moves ProgPower to Spartanburg; maybe he can even get the Marshall Tucker Band to play the pre-party (which he could probably hold at either Waffle House or Stuckey's)...

Spartanburg's right near Greenville, which I still believe has a Manifest Music, which does have a metal section, with imports... Atlanta really does not have a store like that, and there are a lot more bands that play out more around that area if my email spam is any indication. Healthier scene there in every way, considering a free Friday night metal show for locals drew what, 30 people, a few weeks back (or did they all leave before I got there?)? Not too encouraging.

And as far as ProgPower goes, Glenn holds it here because that's where he's near, not where the fans are near. I'd estimate less than 25% of the crowd is local. Someone please correct me if I'm outrageously wrong there.

I wouldn't mind if it moved to Spartanburg since I'm in Clemson. It would actually be closer to me. Heh. I'm happy with it being at an Earthlink Live sized venue and in Atlanta.

Don't say Atlanta doesn't have a good metal scene just because you're mad that Maiden didn't come here. Be mad at Maiden! Maybe you could start a petition and send it to them so they can see how many people in the southeast want them to play here.

Aethyr said:
I wouldn't mind if it moved to Spartanburg since I'm in Clemson. It would actually be closer to me. Heh. I'm happy with it being at an Earthlink Live sized venue and in Atlanta.

Don't say Atlanta doesn't have a good metal scene just because you're mad that Maiden didn't come here. Be mad at Maiden! Maybe you could start a petition and send it to them so they can see how many people in the southeast want them to play here.
I was definitely pissed at Maiden, and I e-mailed their manager (Dave Pattenden, not Rod Smallwood) about it; he was actually kind enough to respond the next day. There were no revelations in his e-mail, just the usual "we were here for so few dates, logistically we could just not work it out" and "we'll definitely try harder next time", etc.

It probably won't ever make any difference, but at least they know one dude was upset about it...

Jim LotFP said:
Spartanburg's right near Greenville, which I still believe has a Manifest Music, which does have a metal section, with imports... Atlanta really does not have a store like that, and there are a lot more bands that play out more around that area if my email spam is any indication. Healthier scene there in every way, considering a free Friday night metal show for locals drew what, 30 people, a few weeks back (or did they all leave before I got there?)? Not too encouraging.

And as far as ProgPower goes, Glenn holds it here because that's where he's near, not where the fans are near. I'd estimate less than 25% of the crowd is local. Someone please correct me if I'm outrageously wrong there.
I think it's great that Greenville has a kick-ass record store, and that they get so many good shows up there (if your e-mail spam is any indication). I really don't understand how they get all these great shows, though, if "most tours skip the southeast entirely."

With respect to that "free Friday night metal show for locals" which "drew what, 30 people", I have no idea what you're talking about. Who were the bands, and where/when was the show? I love to go out and see bands, if they're good; however, I can tell you right now, if the bands suck, then I'm not going to go and see them just so I can support the "scene". If you feel these bands were any good, then please post the names here so I can go check them out for myself. Who knows, maybe next time there will be 31 people at free metal night.

With respect to ProgPower, I would also be interested to see what the local numbers look like. I remember after ProgPower II, Glenn said that for the festival to remain in Atlanta for year III, he was looking for a certain amount of local support evidenced in the numbers from Ticketmaster; shortly thereafter, he announced that the festival would remain here the following year. At the end of the day, I don't even care why the festival moved to Atlanta; I'm just glad it will be here again next year...