Metal Toms - Muting or no?

I find the Tension Watch to be the most useful to mantain the same tension in all of the screws, and also to keep/check the tuning through a session.

I like tuning the drums a bit lower and muffling the resonating head, BUT...

I suck at tuning drums myself, specially when I must do so from scratch. In terms of the Tension Watch, do you guys have any observations on tension samples (different than those at the Tama website) as a starting point?

I had a tension watch and hated it and sold it. Couple years later I purchased a Drum Dial. Seems to be very accurate and I like the rim spacer. My tension watch didn't have that.

One thing I learned this weekend was to put the DD between two lugs and tune this slightly back and forth until I got the right tension. Then do the two lugs directly across from them. Then once they were all set I would fine tune each lug. Once they were set, if I set the DD in the middle of the drum, it matched to tension of all the lugs.

I'm going to give moon gel a shot. I have some o-rings but they tend to "fart" on some drums. As if the rims are slightly larger, they tend vibrate an generate and annoying sound.

Back