Metal Vs. Classical

Well, really, as already stated, you're pretty much screwed in terms of 'besting' Beethoven with metal.

IMHO, Emperor compares relatively well with something such as Holst's 'The Planets' - especially the more 'tuneful' pieces such as Jupiter or Uranus.

Speaking of Holst, if you're feeling brave you might try 'Ramses Bringer of War' from Nile's first album.

Although it's maybe a little blasphemous to make the comparison, you could *possibly* get away with passing Suffocation's 'Breeding The Spawn' off as similar in style to one of Bach's Toccatas. The opening riff passage to the title track is pretty breathtaking really and almost fugues at points.

My personal pick would be 'Earthly Love' from Gorguts' Obscura album, which has a tasteful viola passage to conclude and also at least a tiny use of dynamics. This piece also has the benefit of being written by those who have studied classical composition.

I don't understand why this professor is catching so much shit from some people here. Elitist snob? Narrow-minded product of society? The guy knows music-good music- and he was given some "Opeth/In Flames-sounding passages". What do you expect?

Burzum's "My Journey to the Stars" wouldn't be a bad choice, although the vocals might be a bit of a distraction to him.

When people wanna be close minded, there's nothing you can do. Anyway, when dealing with people like that I've found they responded to stuff like Evergrey, Symphony X, ... maybe Green Carnation's Light of Day, Day of Darkness but that is way too long... perhaps Ayreon, something from Into the Electric Castle.

Dimmu Borgir could be a fine choice, Agalloch maybe... or Blind Guardian, something from Nightfall in Middle Earth would be a good choice

Guardian of Darkness said:
Dream Theater? You mean the band that has less compositional talent than a bar of soap?
Like i said, whatever they play to their music teacher, they're likely to get a negative response. At least with Dream Theater, the teacher will probably be impressed by their playing abilities.

neoclassical said:
Compared to Beethoven, you're screwed (Beethoven would have understood the underground metal ideology also ;).

See if you can get the guy to let you compare it to other mediocre mainstream composers like Copland, Mahler or Schoenberg. Then play him Burzum, Emperor, Demilich or Morbid Angel.

Opeth is a joke.

Explain the joke that is Opeth cause Im sure many here dont get it.

I would play your professor some Gordian Knot, specifically their self-titled album. Top-notch compositions and musicianship. And if your professor has a problem with it, let him know that the main composer of this band is also a professor of music theory at Oregon State University.

J Mann said:
Explain the joke that is Opeth cause Im sure many here dont get it.

Playing Opeth for a professor in classical music is about the most stupid thing you can do. He will not value technical profiency. What he will value is the composition. Opeth would not recognize a well composed song even
if it danced naked in front of them on one of their concerts. And really. Those acoustics that never end are not very classicaly derived either.

If you want to impress him take something suggested by the "elitist assholes" or you will be laughed at. I can recomend Summoning too. It's brilliant. The only question is if you should pick a more keyboard based song with them or a guitar oriented.

So far, I've got suggestions for Miasma, Summoning, Symphony X, Winds, Agalloch, Dream Theater, Demilich, Cynic, Gordian Knot, Green Carnation...

Anything else?