Michael Romeo. Guitar God?

Jax said:
I'd bet there are more metalheads who wouldn't be caught dead in those things than there are those who own them.. :lol:

Definitely. There's no possible way I could wear those things anywhere without feeling like an idiot.

Yngvai X said:
Not everything. I got a pretty sweet Iced Earth shirt from Hot Topic once ;)

all the shirts ive ever gotten from them either shrink, fade, buttons fall off, or all the threads start comming undone after like the 2nd or 3rd wash...

RobbM said:
all the shirts ive ever gotten from them either shrink, fade, buttons fall off, or all the threads start comming undone after like the 2nd or 3rd wash...

Well, the Iced Earth shirt was just a regular band shirt that they would have sold at a concert...not hot topic brand or anything.

I protest Hot Topic and will continue to do so, until all the Emo bitches around me stop hoarding good metal merch in their Emo headquarters. I used to buy all my shit from there, but now, I order everything and only go in Hot Topic on the off chance of them having a good death metal band shirt or just to make fun of emo people in there.

Michael Romeo is officially the illest guitarist ever. If there was a God for Guitars it would be him. If there wasn't a God for Guitars then he would still be the illest ever. Thus confirming Michael Romeo pwn all life forms known to man. Period. End of Conversation.

Michael_Romeo,_guitarist,_playing_live.png
michaelromeo2.jpg
michaelromeo.jpg
armichaelromeo.jpg

No argument here.

He also has the advantage of being big. I cant fucking figure out how to string skip and tap without sounding like a car crash. His huge fleshy palm makes him able to mute effortlessly and i have these skinny fingers and hardly any palm meat, its not fair. + i tap with my middle finger because i cant quickly put the pick in my mouth or whatever he does with it. I think he just uses magic and it goes POOF and reappears whenever he feels like it.

^ I don't believe that's true. You should be able to palm mute enough no matter how skinny you are.

I know many skinny players who do just as amazing and perfectly clean tapping. e.g. Steve Vai, Daniele Gottardo, etc. The latter (who is one of my favorites) uses a damper but only when he does his 8 finger tapping. He DOES play complex and super clean one finger tapping without it. Still, you can consider using it. :)

Romeo is amazing, but I grew out of worshiping him a long time ago. There are many amazing players out there with different musical personalities.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I don't believe that's true. You should be able to palm mute enough no matter how skinny you are.

I know many skinny players who do just as amazing and perfectly clean tapping. e.g. Steve Vai, Daniele Gottardo, etc. The latter (who is one of my favorites) uses a damper but only when he does his 8 finger tapping. He DOES play complex and super clean one finger tapping without it. Still, you can consider using it. :)

Skinny player palm-muting = Edward Van Halen, of course.

But holy cow, Gottardo's fretboard is as scalloped as hell. Which may explain why his 8-finger tapping technique is so clean.

Not to take anything away from Gottardo. I like that clip a lot, and I'll be looking him up.

^ Trust me, it has less to do with finger length, palm size, magical gear, etc. and MUCH more to do with perfected control/technique to an extent where you don't even have to think much about it and focus more on the music.

But holy cow, Gottardo's fretboard is as scalloped as hell. Which may explain why his 8-finger tapping technique is so clean.

How so? I can't think of a reason why would scalloped necks influence tapping (and fyi, I play a scalloped neck exclusively and mine is a bit deeper than Daniele's). Again, it has much more to do with the player himself. e.g. he plays just as good on non-scalloped necks.

Anyway he's a great musician and a pretty cool guy. Do check his stuff. Here are two of my favorites:

I can't think of a reason why would scalloped necks influence tapping (and fyi, I play a scalloped neck exclusively and mine is a bit deeper than Daniele's). Again, it has much more to do with the player himself. e.g. he plays just as good on non-scalloped necks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a scalloped neck you can hit the fret much harder than otherwise. You're not really hitting the wood of the fretboard as much as you're hitting the string just above the metal fret itself. So you can get a much harder attack. Also, you don't get any kind of buzzing or any other side effects, because you're hitting the string against the metal fret so strongly. In fact a scalloped fretboard allows you to play left-handed runs much more easily and cleanly than otherwise (assuming a right-handed player). Is this not true? I thought the whole point of scalloping the fretboard in the first place was for exactly this set of reasons...?

^ Trust me, it has less to do with finger length, palm size, magical gear, etc. and MUCH more to do with perfected control/technique to an extent where you don't even have to think much about it and focus more on the music.

I know it has everything to do with technique and control. These guys are wizards. I just meant that
with bigger hands they can do so much more. A friend of mine was the bass player in Racer X and I have seen Paul Gilbert warming up backstage a few times. Unbelievable. And thanks for the videos.
I will be adding Daniele Gottardo to my collection. Outstanding. I vaguely remember hearing about
the Vai award but that was a couple of years ago. Is that an annual event?

Actually no, not as much as you think. The whole point of scalloping the fretboard is to allow for more control over vibrato and bends, allowing for more expressiveness. Your fingers won't act as brakes when slightly rubbing against the wood when doing bends and vibratos and you have that nice full-control over the string. Also doing things like multi-string vibratos is easier for the same reason. (the only disadvantage is that you have to have a light touch on chords because pushing hard slightly alters the pitch, mainly on chords involving the lower strings).

For anything that doesn't involve moving the strings (such as tapping or playing fast legato) the difference is minimal. Sure in scalloped necks the strings hit the frets harder due to the extra weight, but on non-scalloped necks it should be hard enough to produce the same sound in the end.

The whole point of scalloping the fretboard is to allow for more control over vibrato and bends, allowing for more expressiveness.

Very interesting, OK.

BTW, in the total opposite direction from scalloped necks, I just learned about fretless guitars, which seem completely insane to me.

I'm guessing that it's like playing with a slide, except that you don't alter your guitar to an open tuning(?).

BTW, there's actually a Symphony X connection to fretless guitars -- having absolutely nothing to do with Michael Romeo. Anyone know what it is...?

(And no, not about fretless bass either. Back in the old days I actually played one of those -- I ripped the fret wire out of a cheap p-bass clone, and absolutely loved it...).