Middle East music

IOfTheStorm

Gogol Bordello
Mar 28, 2002
Athens-Greece
www.monolith.gr
Yea.. soo i'd like some recommendations about *thread title* albums. You know albums that probably (or definetally) influenced O.L. too. Im sure the band members can name a few (that have worldwide distribution, greek will work too eheh) artists/albums. And im sure that other people here know some names too.
Rich orchestration/lots of emotion in them = highly appreciated.

There are many artists and albums out there of middle-eastern music of all kinds (egyptian, turkish etc) that I like and have influenced me probably.
One album that historically had an impact on me was Omar Faruk's Mystical Garden, but again, there are dozens and they change every month so it's not fair to state one instaed of the other.

Thanks, well at least the thread was not totally buried :p
I am clueless about this kind of music, but i think i'd prefer something with lot of sazi in it. Sazi isnt it?
I'll try to search for the album you mentioned

Omar Faruk Tablitek's CDs are a great source of middle eastern instruments, yet If you're more into Saz specifically, you can try Ahmet Koc. He has some mild melodic tunes. If you're into "hardcore" saz, there are good traditional and veteran artists in Turkisg CDs I bought at the time.

Well, in Turkish saz means 'musical intrument' and the instrument Yossi is referring to is called 'baglama'. I am looking for mp3 samples of original traditional songs OL has covered so far. All help is deeply appreciated!

you mean samples of OL songs such as Norra El Norra (in the tune of Samra ya samra)?
El Meod Na'ala is another traditional song (from the album 'El Norra Alila').
We also have Aldiad al Mukadisa at the Sahara album, which includes some traditional parts in it's opening, as well as the Sahara album intro.

No bro, you got me wrong. As I own all OL CDs I am just curious to hear the original tunes to those you have covered so far. For instance I listened to Samra Ya Samra in mp3 form. But it would be great pleasure to hear other originals. :hotjump:

By the way I did not know that the intro to Sahara is a traditional excerpt. What is the name for the original? It does not write in the CD booklet.