Looking for Depressive music

You're joking, right? Almost every song by Opeth is dark and depressing. Mikael, frontman of Opeth, was, and possibly still is, best friends with Jonas... if I remember correctly.

Yes, everybody knows Opeth here. You're obviously rather new here if you assume that this is news to anyone here (might be news to one or two who haven't paid much attention to anything here..but..). Best friends might be a bit of a stretch...heh. Probably friends from the past who don't meet very often, but get along well when they first meet.

If you like Mikael so much, you should get Katatonias third album Brave Murder Day. Mikael growls through the whole album.
If you want real depressive music Opeth is far from my first choice. It's dark music..sure, but far from the really wallow-in-the-mud-depressive-music..heh..

I think Katatonia has the most depressive works I've heard so far. The most songs, in the past and present, has IT, you know what I mean. That little thing, why we're into their music. There are a lot of bands that were/are influenced by Katatonia, but trying to be something similar and/or what you're not, doesn't lead to good. I know a lot of bands that copied Katatonia's style, they got cruely criticised and dispised. Although, for example: Swallow the Sun and Daylight Dies succeeded.

Yea, I was just walking home from my practice and I had my headphones on and TGCD was coming from my ipod. The earth was covered in snow and it was dark and cold. The city seemed really quiet, only couple of cars went by me when I was walking next to an empty park. The feeling what I felt during In The White was something really unique, mix of loneliness and depression and sadness and ahh.

I kinda understand what you've felt. That's what gives joy. For me, some of Katatonia songs remembers me a particular time or place, that I have listened to it and enjoyed. Sounds quaintly.

I saw a few of these listed already, but these are some of my favorites:

KATATONIA
SLOWDIVE
PARADISE LOST
TEHNI
SENTENCED
GODSPEED YOU! BLACK EMPEROR
DRACONIAN
EVOKEN
THE CRANES
ELLIOT
FALL OF THE IDOLS
JOY DIVISION
NOVEMBERS DOOM
SHAPE OF DESPAIR
MY DYING BRIDE

wow i forgot this thread was around haha, its been a corpse for 6 months. looking back over it today im glad i started it, i discovered SOOOOOOO much good music thanks to you folks.

/hugs all around

Anathema - Are you there
Anathema - Electricity
Anathema - One last Goodbye

The Sisters of Mercy - Driven Like the Snow, Marian, Colours, Nine While Nine...

Speaking of Joy Division, I dare anyone here to listen to "Closer" and not be depressed...especially tracks like "Twenty Four Hours" and "Decades"

its all about the goth and postpunk really..most of the best depressing music (and also most uplifting) I've found has been in that genre

Try to listen Agalloch - Pantheist.
Maybe it's not really depressing but nothing is colorfull after this song.