Midwest Metal Anthem--August 22nd and 23rd

It was a pleasure meeting some of you folks at MMA Friday night. Al, you kicked all kinds of ass with the Kat V band....great pipes! And, that was my first time seeing Lydian Sea, and they blew me out. Hope to see more of them in the future...

Hooray, I finally got to meet Kingsgene! But I forgot to ask what the heck a "kingsgene" is anyway :)

I didn't make it back out Saturday, mostly due to me being a weenie. But I made a new discovery, Lydian Sea, and so Friday night was a success.

Al did a great job with Katagory V.

JJ Kelley's looks a lot nicer now, and I'll bet the bands are happier with the new state. And Guiness is still just $4 per can. :headbang:

Ken

Cool, sounds like you guys had fun.
I was at JJ Kelleys once. It seemed like such a pain in the ass to get there that when I see shows being booked there, I immediately discount the chance of going. Glad to hear it is nicer now. It was a piss hole from what I remember.

Ken - I can take a guess that KingsGene, means he is in a band called KINGS OF THE NIGHTIME WORLD, and he may be a bass player (IE - Gene Simmons) Am I right?

It was a good time but I didnt make it there Friday night, sounds like there was more people there Friday night.

I think there were. But it was odd, too. The majority of them piled in for Kat-V's set. Before and after their set, most of the people seemed to be hanging out on the deck. Which is a shame, because they missed great sets by Abolisher and Lydean Sea.

Saw Met-Al, Orbweaver, and the Kategory V guys at Impulse on Saturday. Good times! Everyone was very very cool! Hey Al, we should do a metal talk show. Between the two of us we have too much metal knowledge. Its almost scary!

What was the overall turnout?
50?
100?
150?
200?

Just curious. As I have no idea what that lineup would draw.

My guess is that Saturday Night was about 50 people, there were a good amount of people on the deck most of the night but people came in for Eden's Fall, Mindwarp Chamber and Soul's Demise. There was one band that had seriously about a dozen people in the room for them.

My guess is that Saturday Night was about 50 people, there were a good amount of people on the deck most of the night but people came in for Eden's Fall, Mindwarp Chamber and Soul's Demise. There was one band that had seriously about a dozen people in the room for them.

was the 50 including band members too?

Hooray, I finally got to meet Kingsgene! But I forgot to ask what the heck a "kingsgene" is anyway :)

JJ Kelley's looks a lot nicer now, and I'll bet the bands are happier with the new state. And Guiness is still just $4 per can. :headbang:

Ken

Good to meet you, too, Ken. I wish I would've known they had Guinness, although it's probably better that I didn't...

I was at JJ Kelleys once. It seemed like such a pain in the ass to get there that when I see shows being booked there, I immediately discount the chance of going. Glad to hear it is nicer now. It was a piss hole from what I remember.

Ken - I can take a guess that KingsGene, means he is in a band called KINGS OF THE NIGHTIME WORLD, and he may be a bass player (IE - Gene Simmons) Am I right?

I know what you mean, as I recalled it was always a drag getting in and out of there via tollway. But, the ramps are a lot easier now since the construction in that area is somwhat completed.

And, yes, that would be correct....I am the demon bass player for Kiss tribute Kings of the Nighttime World, hence the KingsGene forum name.

That was probably that -core band "Thrown" if I had to guess. Decidedly NOT my cup of tea. Unless it was one of the bands that went on after we left. I heard Souls Demise didn't go on until almost 2AM. :ill:

And The Q is right, we did go to Impulse and harangue him for an hour or so. :D I bought five CDs. I can't go into that damn store without buying something. I have the same problem at Metal Haven. :lol:

If any one is interested in a free show this Saturday, this is a outdoor party that goes on every year. The organizer is Gary the drummer from Rival, he gets a park permit for live bands and booze so its all on the up and up. There is a stage, full PA, and a beer truck (Miller) which is usually about 20 kegs. Not sure what the donations are for the beer truck, I always bring my own beer and food. Its always a great time and you really cant argue with free, its always a great turnout. Besides that its in the day so you end up with plenty of time to do whatever you want that night, provided you dont get too hammered.

Where: Bunker Hill Woods in Skokie on grove 4, its right around Harlem and Touhy.

http://www.fpdcc.com/downloads/bunker_hill_pg.pdf

D-Connect @ 2:00
Mindwarp Chamber @ 3:00
Rival @ 4:00
The last bit of the show will be covers by members from various bands, from what I understand there will be quite a bit of Maiden and Priest covers played.

D-Connect @ 2:00
Mindwarp Chamber @ 3:00
Rival @ 4:00

That's a pretty good lineup there!

For those who don't know, D-Connect was originally formed by the late Barry Stern (Trouble, Zoetrope, etc). I believe their current drummer is the new drummer for Trouble. I saw them once, and they play straight forward rocking metal, even some punk influences.

It seems like most here are familiar with MC, though I have still yet to see them.

I am not sure why Rival is so unknown, even in Chicago. I got to see them once, and they are a very solid power / trad metal band.

UNFORTUNATELY - The wife and I already have plans to be out of town this weekend. Its a shame, as it sounds like something you can bring the kids to!