Mikael and Bloodbath

Lol at what point did Christians start listening to Opeth? Gotta say i'ms surprised at people getting upset at Mike being anti-Christian in Bloodbath, what the hell did you think he would be ffs?

Lol at what point did Christians start listening to Opeth? Gotta say i'ms surprised at people getting upset at Mike being anti-Christian in Bloodbath, what the hell did you think he would be ffs?

You do not show any sign of intelligence my friend.

Lol, christians should only be able to listen to Hymnz!

No, but they shouldn't (as anyone) listen to something and whine and complain about it and want to change it. If you don't like it, don't listen. If you like it, listen, but stop complaining.

lol, ffs, you've whined more than any person in this thread. u take offense to my "listen to hymz" like i am contradicting every statement ive made in this thread. let it go man, the only person you're debating now is yourself.

btw, im done with this thread, moving on....

Orphaned Land - El Norra Alila/Mabool

If you don't have anything against a little oriental vibes, those are killer albums. The first being the most DM, the last being more "crazy epic ass progressive metal".

I have Mabool, and it strikes me as only okay, and not really dm. Haven't heard El Norra Alila. May have to check it out.

You know, a decent example of good stuff that isn't so damn negative and nasty is Gojira. I like the idea of envirometal.

Furthermore, I'll reiterate something that was mentioned a few posts ago and bears repeating and is the premise, however lost it has become, of this entire thread: Mike has said in interviews that he is not religious in any way. That he's interested in the occult, perhaps. But I have yet to read any interview with him that could prepare me for the kind of anti-christian sentiment on the new album. I was definitely struck by the vehemence of the lyrics, and thought, "Okay, so....either he wasn't being honest in the interviews, his belief structure has changed, or the lyrics are just there for shock value and have no basis in actual belief." That's the point. He said one thing, and reality has dished up something different. I think that's worthy of discussion. That dm is typically anti-christian is a given. That Mike has seemed to change his stance is not.

let's just stop with the religious bickering as we all know it gets us nowhere but to anger and discontent... but then again....

I know that positive, life-affirming death metal would be a contradiction in terms, but if it existed and was good, I'd prefer to listen to it over violent, hate-filled, negative music, the music being equal.

I agree sometimes, which is why Gojira's From Mars to Sirius resonates so well.

Furthermore, I'll reiterate something that was mentioned a few posts ago and bears repeating and is the premise, however lost it has become, of this entire thread: Mike has said in interviews that he is not religious in any way. That he's interested in the occult, perhaps. But I have yet to read any interview with him that could prepare me for the kind of anti-christian sentiment on the new album. I was definitely struck by the vehemence of the lyrics, and thought, "Okay, so....either he wasn't being honest in the interviews, his belief structure has changed, or the lyrics are just there for shock value and have no basis in actual belief." That's the point. He said one thing, and reality has dished up something different. I think that's worthy of discussion. That dm is typically anti-christian is a given. That Mike has seemed to change his stance is not.

Yes, this is what I was really trying to ask. Are these lyrics just for shock value or do they reall reflect Mikael's thoughts? His lyrics for Opeth are so well-written and intelligent. These are just dripping with hate and disgust.

Are these lyrics just for shock value or do they reall reflect Mikael's thoughts? His lyrics for Opeth are so well-written and intelligent. These are just dripping with hate and disgust.
Am I missing something here? It's death metal. The whole point is to be as unpleasant as possible I would've thought. Once you start writing nice lyrics for death metal it ceases to be death metal.

Seriously, if you're looking for uplifting, positive music you should probably be listening to Creed or something. Sheesh.

And as for all this 'WTF DOES MIKE REELY WANNA KILL TEH XTIANS HES SO FULL OF TEH HATREDS', have you ever even listened to metal before? As if any death metal bands are being literal with what their lyrics say, it's all just a ruse to fit the style of music. Death metal has always been escapist in nature. I mean, you don't see the members of Cannibal Corpse fucking anybody with knives. Bloodbath are attempting to evoke a certain mood. It should be nasty, unpleasant, foul, that's the whole point. I would've thought that was obvious.

Yes, I know dm lyrics are unpleasant. That's not my question. I'm just wondering is the lyrics reflect Mikael's thoughts and attitudes or if its just dm nonsense. no need to be condescending.

Yes, I know dm lyrics are unpleasant. That's not my question. I'm just wondering is the lyrics reflect Mikael's thoughts and attitudes or if its just dm nonsense. no need to be condescending.
Okay, well I would assume he isn't being serious, in keeping with pretty much every death metal band ever. The virulent anti-Christian sentiment is in keeping with the extremity of the music. Apologies for coming across as condescending, I just don't understand what all the fuss is about.

apology accepted. I was surprised by the content and tone. While the lyrics Mikael writes for opeth are dark, I've never found them to be so hateful.

Well i guess those kinds of lyrics would just sound very weird in the context of Opeth, whereas if you applied Opeth's lyrics to a band like Bloodbath it would probably sound just as out of place.

I'm surprised at how many Christians are here talking about Opeth, although I suppose their music does have a certain inoffensive spirituality to it. I think those people who are very much into their God should probably avoid most death metal as a general rule of thumb if it makes them squeemish. Bloodbath is a case in point. It's ok to talk about dismembering people and causing violent havoc, but it's not ok to 'mock the cross'?

I noticed someone a few pages back suggested that he's happy with everyone following their own religions and perhaps taking things from each that they like. I think it's rather worrying that people are going to base their universal view of reality on a few superstitious stories they kind of like the sound of. Cutting and pasting is just as bad as believing in one set of obviously false dogmatic propositions if you ask me. I mean, there 'is' a reality after all and you shouldn't try to invent your own cosmic pantheon. It will obviously be a work of fiction.

If I was Christian, though, I'd probably be into Opeth as well. I guess they offer something to the superstitious as well as the realist, which can only be testament (pardon the pun) to the broadness of their appeal.