Mikael: What's going on with the band?

T-Rat said:
Gregorian Chant is essentially acapella Church music... melodic chanting... think Catholic Mass or Orthodox Chant... Wierd harmonies, male voices, vaguely spooky...

That's pretty much it, Symphony X uses a lot of these if you want to get a picture.

celtic frost sounding music, played by Opeth..that would probably mean crunchy sounding, great black metal guitar riffs...sounds nice!!
I said before, that I wouldn´t want synth to the new album, but it´s allways a matter of, if the synth adds to the music, or if it´s just there, in the forefront, like an extra instrument. I don´t like that...But hey, it´s gonna be great, I believe. The album will be out in a month or two, eh Mike? Just kidding, you guys deserve a break..Use it well!

Thank you very much for the update, Mike. And you see, people are doing some drawings and want to make sure whether Per is now an official member or not, just to include some long black hair in the picture, you know... :) You rule!

Let me get it right: now everybody will love playing badminton... I guess it won't be long to find a thread about badminton

Am I the only one who gets worried when I hear "gregorian chants" and "keyboards"?
Okay I'll give Opeth A LOT of credit, but still, I hope they know what they're doing ;)
And thanks for the update, Mike.

I know some people here (me as well) don't like that others "interpret" minor statements from band members and come up with huge ideas of what the band's really doing, like listening to the guys' subconsciousness or whatever. BUT:

Mike has said before that he makes up different riffs, record them and kind of make the right riffs go together into one song. But now he said he's working on three different songs. How 'bout that?

It's when you play open strings without fretting and it plays a chord. The guitar is basically tuned to play a certain chord when you bar frets or play it open.

I'm not too happy about that because it means I won't be able to play along to those songs.

there has to be a way to find out what tuning they are in....there has to be a way....i suppose we could just figure out the key...and then (if they are using a "normal" open tuning)....we could tune to that cord. but when he says "wierd", i can't help but think it is very unconventional....

anyway, it's possible to find out what tuning they are using...

music in open tunings sounds, if you are not used to it fresh and new, that is really cool. i dont know what i could expect more of an opeth cd... :)