Mikael: What's going on with the band?

Of course the tuning is possible to figure out, but it's really annoying to tune in an open tuning, especially because you might need special strings because some strings will be tuned higher, and thus they might snap easily.

Moonlapse said:
I'm stuck with a floyd rose, so I just stay in E. Even going to Drop D is a bother as I have to unlock the the system then re-lock. Totally not worth it, haha.

Haha, I ordered a guitar last week that has a floyd rose. I knew when i ordered it that they were a hassle but i'll get used to it, I hope..

Sounds like some interesting stuff, Gregorian chants are about the only good thing to ever come out of Christianity. And Celtic Frost, I've meaning to check out one of their albums forever, maybe this will inspire me to finally do it...

Well my Jackson PS4 comes with a licensed floyd rose for one. It usually says 'licensed under Floyd Rose patents'. Meaning that the manufacturer of the guitar get the rights to make it, but they take out all the quality of the construction so that they can have a more economic product. Alot of higher end guitars come stocked with Original Floyd Roses like Schecters and shit like that.

Most manufacturers will say on the technical specs of their guitars that the floyd rose is licensed, but you need to be wary just in case. You can tell whether it's licensed by looking at the thing on the actual guitar... it says it near the bridge fine-tuners.

Moonlapse said:
Well my Jackson PS4 comes with a licensed floyd rose for one. It usually says 'licensed under Floyd Rose patents'. Meaning that the manufacturer of the guitar get the rights to make it, but they take out all the quality of the construction so that they can have a more economic product. Alot of higher end guitars come stocked with Original Floyd Roses like Schecters and shit like that.

Most manufacturers will say on the technical specs of their guitars that the floyd rose is licensed, but you need to be wary just in case. You can tell whether it's licensed by looking at the thing on the actual guitar... it says it near the bridge fine-tuners.

I'll have to have a closer look when it arrives. That was fairly interesting to find out, Thankyou.

Didn't know that either. Just found out my electric guitar has a Licened Floyd Rose. Doesn't matter, cause I locked it some time ago, using dropped tunings more than the tremolo.

Moonlapse said:
It's when you play open strings without fretting and it plays a chord. The guitar is basically tuned to play a certain chord when you bar frets or play it open.

Not any chord, a major chord. Otherwise Mikael wouldve written alternate tuning :p

*jackass*

I can't believe what I just witnessed. Do my eyes deceive me, or did a band member, using his own name, just respond to a fan. Hmm, wonders never cease. Pretty cool shit.

jaykeegan said:
Believe me, This is not the first time that has occured.

Well, it's nice to see Mike actually interacts with his fans. I dig on Opeth alot, but I haven't read many interviews with him, or ever seen a show(they're never in the U.S.)so I wouldn't know. By the way people, I'm new to this forum, so greetings.

Orbital Collapse said:
Well, it's nice to see Mike actually interacts with his fans. I dig on Opeth alot, but I haven't read many interviews with him, or ever seen a show(they're never in the U.S.)so I wouldn't know. By the way people, I'm new to this forum, so greetings.
Greetings, mate. But Opeth have been touring in the States quite a few times now, as far as I know. And, not seeing an Opeth show till now... Honestly you're missing something. Now you'll have to wait till after they release their new CD or watch Lamentations or a bootleg... :headbang:

Demoke said:
Greetings, mate. But Opeth have been touring in the States quite a few times now, as far as I know. And, not seeing an Opeth show till now... Honestly you're missing something. Now you'll have to wait till after they release their new CD or watch Lamentations or a bootleg... :headbang:

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, I know they've been to the states before, but just not in my area, or maybe before I got into them.(I was introduced to Opeth by a friend about 2 years ago.) I definitely need to get Lamentations, though.

Mike normally lurks around these forums. I've worked that much out from reading interviews and having spoken to him in person when they were down here. It's not too often that he posts anymore though, so it's up to threads like this to draw him out, haha. Just don't start 10 threads about 'Mike: What kind of toilet paper do you use?' and I think we'll be fine and keep getting periodic updates from him.

Btw Lopez posted on here a while ago, as did Anders, the old drummer. Also, Travis Smith used to post, as did Lee, who signed Opeth to Candlelight and also a member of MFN, who sometimes gives us teasers into new Opeth releases.

Moonlapse said:
I'm stuck with a floyd rose, so I just stay in E. Even going to Drop D is a bother as I have to unlock the the system then re-lock. Totally not worth it, haha.

drop d is pretty easy with a floyd rose. they sell something called a "d tuna" that is sponsored by eddie van halen which allows you to drop to d by flipping a switch on your bridge.