Mikael: What's going on with the band?

This has nothing to do with this topic but I think someone should make a complete tab on the Opeth song Benighted! ^.^ ( I want to play it and play it correct)

Moonlapse said:
Well my Jackson PS4 comes with a licensed floyd rose for one. It usually says 'licensed under Floyd Rose patents'. Meaning that the manufacturer of the guitar get the rights to make it, but they take out all the quality of the construction so that they can have a more economic product. Alot of higher end guitars come stocked with Original Floyd Roses like Schecters and shit like that.

Most manufacturers will say on the technical specs of their guitars that the floyd rose is licensed, but you need to be wary just in case. You can tell whether it's licensed by looking at the thing on the actual guitar... it says it near the bridge fine-tuners.

Well Moonlapse, I recieved my guitar today & it has a licensed floyd rose. But you can't pick up on the lack of quality put into it (Well at least i can't).

What quality has actually been removed from the original floyd roses to create the licensed floyd roses?

I have no idea about the actual technical detail. However, one of the most notable things about cheap tremolos is that they tend to put the guitar out of tune very easily when used. The amount of tension and force balance just doesn't 'feel' right either and some strings tend to hang like laundry ropes when you dive until you adjust the spring configuration behind the back plate.

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:
Hello guys!
I also have another project which I'm doing abroad in 10 days. But I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say anything about this yet so....
I bet this is his contribution to the new Porcupine Tree album (rubs hands together) flying over to the UK to meet up with SW :)

That sounds reasonable, except for the fact that they're already in the process of mixing. No? I thought they cancelled the Arrow Festival so they could keep their studio commitments.

And that info was already released by the porcupine tree camp a while ago, so i imagine Mikael having to keep that a secret doesnt make sense. Perhaps another project nobody is aware of yet?

For those of you who like Porcupine Tree, how is it? I mean what would you liken it to? I've heard it's a bit like King Crimson meets rush, meets 70's prog rock, but that's only if you're attempting to catagorize it I guess.

Thanks for the update Mike. It's been awhile but its great to hear that you're still writing...

Gregorian Chants eh? Hehe, that'll be very intriguing. Can't wait for the new album!
Ciao!

Orbital Collapse said:
For those of you who like Porcupine Tree, how is it? I mean what would you liken it to? I've heard it's a bit like King Crimson meets rush, meets 70's prog rock, but that's only if you're attempting to catagorize it I guess.

king crimson and rush ARE 70s prog rock, so i dont see how thats a very good description.

Porcupine tree has several different sounds theyve achieved over different periods of time. The first era consisting of acoustic or light rock songs with spacey elements...as well as fullblown psychadelic and space rock/kraut rock type material. The second phase has more of a pop/singer songwriter direction in which they could be compared to earlier radiohead, he also experimented with sounds and production during this era too. The third era now seems to be more of a rock and metal type direction...think "moving pictures" era rush, meets dark side of the moon...and thats what in absentia was more or less.

In any case, its really hard to totally classify this band in any given era, and im sure people here will have more to add to my descriptions...but hopefully this gives you a good idea. if you are interested in more progressive rock from the 70s or present day go to the "70s prog" thread on this same forum.

Land Of Grey And Pink said:
king crimson and rush ARE 70s prog rock, so i dont see how thats a very good description.

Porcupine tree has several different sounds theyve achieved over different periods of time. The first era consisting of acoustic or light rock songs with spacey elements...as well as fullblown psychadelic and space rock/kraut rock type material. The second phase has more of a pop/singer songwriter direction in which they could be compared to earlier radiohead, he also experimented with sounds and production during this era too. The third era now seems to be more of a rock and metal type direction...think "moving pictures" era rush, meets dark side of the moon...and thats what in absentia was more or less.

In any case, its really hard to totally classify this band in any given era, and im sure people here will have more to add to my descriptions...but hopefully this gives you a good idea. if you are interested in more progressive rock from the 70s or present day go to the "70s prog" thread on this same forum.

True, and I meant to say 70's prog rock "like" Rush, King Crimson.

Orbital Collapse said:
or ever seen a show(they're never in the U.S.)so I wouldn't know.
They were in California 3 separate times last year. Gotta pay more attention! :D

Badminton..............

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! :lol:

Sorry Mike. Just kidding. *Wipes mirthful tear from eye*

Carry on.