Mikaels interview kind of inspiret me to ask. Who's christian?

anyone listened to the preach in the link I linked up there?
my favourite parts is when he says that everyone who watched Sopranos will go to hell.. and so will their families.

guess I'm doomed :/

he is in fact a very skilled preacher, who manage to fool people such things, he puts such emotion behind his words. One of the world's most famous ones too. kind of like hitler.

he's the Ritchie Blackmore of preaching!

ps. did not mean to upset anyone who believe in what he says :)

this warms my frostbitten heart. 3 years ago, a thread like this would turn into war.
As a physicist, I take nothing on faith. I am agnostic. Empiricism is my religion.

edit: I suppose I take it on faith that the scientific method leads to knowledge, but that's trivial.

Atheist. I've was free to grow up without being smothered in the religious beliefs of others and since have decided that I do not identify with any religion I have come across so far.

Like Braighs said, math is where I place my faith.

as long as people aren't arrogant douche bags, then they can believe what they want. enough of the stereotypes people.

there is nothing worse than:- someone who dismisses all religion without any knowledge of it whatsoever. i know way too many arrogant close-minded metal-heads that constantly bag religion, yet are the biggest tools i know. the opposite also applies.
- hypocrites eg. "don't murder, it's wrong" then the person goes and tells lies compulsively ie. people who pick and choose their beliefs then claim to be religious- it's these people that give religion a bad name.

As a physicist, I take nothing on faith. I am agnostic. Empiricism is my religion.

We're in the same boat. I'm an archaeology student, and when you study facts and compare them to some "hard-to-believe-in-the first-place" texts and they contradict eah other, I have to go with scientific proof. I know certain people in a certain country like to bend and twist science in order to comply with said texts, but that's just so wrong.
You first need to consider the facts and then come up with a reasonable theory, not have a pre-defined mindset and think about how you can make facts comply with your ideas...

Another Christian here. And an engineering student at that. Science, Faith, And Metal! I am the ultimate paradox, muahahahahaha. ;)

I'm Christian though I still have my doubts. But Jesus said in the Bible that you can have faith the size of a mustard seed and that's sufficient cause the walk with God to grow that faith is an adventure through love.
I'm pretty much the same as most of you....I do hate it when people preach and put people in bondage by manipulating others to make more money or to project their own thoughts about themselves. That's a huge part of what makes religion a turn off...I'm not religious but am more for a relationship with God. Why would Jesus die if I still have to follow a bunch of rules to still be with Him? Jesus on the cross before he died said "It is finished." They say there's no way we can earn our way to Heaven because we were separated spiritually...that's why a Jesus died, cause it was the only way for us to be connected back to Him and only He could do it...Thankfully He did...and it was his idea in the first place. We take it for granted, but really...he didn't have to...He could have started over.

I don't think of myself as more righteous than anyone else...I'm still a sinner. I just thank God for the life I have and everything great that I stuble across. Such as when I first read about Opeth in the Summer 2001 issue of Revolver. I finally learned about the "Blackwater Park" album I frequently saw at Circuit City.

Science and Religion don't really disagree unless you're foolish enough to interpret religious myths literally. The majority of Christians don't take the Bible literally, because it's not meant to be taken as such. It is no harder for an archeologist to be a Christian than it is for anyone else.

An old man once talked about religion on tv. He said: "It was excusable to belive in God in the 18th century or even the 19th, but in the 20th there no longer is an excuse, not with the knowledge we have". From then on I have belived all religion to be superstition.

^ I'm sorry, you can believe what you want to believe, but anyone who assumes they can complete prove or disprove the existence of God is an absolute idiot.

^ Exactly. It's a matter of choosing what to believe. And I think, personally, that God doesn't reveal his existense to you unless you believe it in your heart at first. It's not a question of religious belief, it's a question of love, which is the strongest feeling in the world, and why God created us.(IMO?:p)

An old man once talked about religion on tv. He said: "It was excusable to belive in God in the 18th century or even the 19th, but in the 20th there no longer is an excuse, not with the knowledge we have". From then on I have belived all religion to be superstition.

wow, you seem pretty impressionable. there are plenty of famous scientists who have at least believed in A God eg. Mendel, Einstein etc. my point: the guy who said that seems just a bit biased and arrogant. just a bit.

But history shows that science was wrong at some points. you never know.

And where does history show that religion had the answers?
If science changes that only means that new facts were discovered through studies and experiments. Religion never changes because that would mean that "god" was wrong. And that would be a tough pill for the faithful to swallow.

Science and Religion don't really disagree unless you're foolish enough to interpret religious myths literally. The majority of Christians don't take the Bible literally, because it's not meant to be taken as such. It is no harder for an archeologist to be a Christian than it is for anyone else.

Where do you draw the line though? Is there anything at all in the bible christians agree with? If so how could a scientist agree with that if it can't be proven?

And the "god exists outside time and space" argument doesn't work.