Mindwarp Chamber / Sacred Dawn / Dektor this Saturday at Legends

Wow was the weather crappy last night. I seriously was shocked that anyone even came out however, it was a very good turnout. Having a completely crappy day was vindicated as soon as we got on stage. The venue had this kick ass PA just for this weekend and we had a pro light show brought in for the night. Mario from Chicagosrock.com was video taping us with 2 cameras, there should be some footage online soon.

Dedkor kicked ass, they're a mix of old school metal, thrash, prog, and lots of guitar riffery, I highly recommend seeing them if you can. The whole band was a bunch of great musicians and they were all pretty cool too.

Sacred Dawn what more can be said about these guys they continue to be one of the top notch bands in the city. They drove in from Wisconsin in this crappy weather for the show. Lots of Kudos to them for being so professional about everything. I could see other bands canceling due to the weather and driving in as far as they did.

ed

Great show. The only thing that sucked was that I had no idea that Mindwarp were playing second to last, I arrived at the venue late on purpose and found out that they were already onstage, I still got to see over an hour but I missed some of the show. Oh well. Great turnout indeed, I dont think I've seen Legends that packed since the Feb.10th show which had similar weather conditions. Guys, next time do a show in the summer!! lol.
I can't wait for the album to come out.

I hope everyone enjoyed the show and at least one person had a beer for me.

:(

Ken

I had a couple of beers for you and Jasonic. :kickass:

The show was great, this was the best show Mindwarp Chamber has put on so far I think. They keep getting better and better and heavier and heavier. Dedkor was a cool band. I had never heard of them before, and I thought they did a good job. Sacred Dawn was on top of their game as well. It looks like they are getting more exposure which is great for them.

Jose, don't lie....you were late because you had to dispose of the dearly departed feeble minded Toxic Hell workers who put lettuce on your tacos.
*For those unfamiliar with Jose Saladbar's psychotic hatred for lettuce....
Ever see the movie 'Carrie'?
Yeah, it's kind of like that.
DEATH TO THE MEXICAN KRYPTONITE!

For all the minions that couldn't make it to Legends...you missed a kick ass show.
Mindwarp Chamber always puts on an incredible show. I agree that this was one of their best shows. The sound was great and everyone had a lot of energy. I'm just sorry we didn't get a chance to baracade Shreddy's keyboard with chairs. (Ha Ha!)
Sacred Dawn never disappoints me. All of those guys are so amazingly talented. And I have to give anyone credit for pulling off a Metal'd out version of "The Devil Went Down to Georgia".
I was pleasantly surprised with Dedkor. I had known the Warlord from Usurper and always thought he was an excellent drummer. It was nice to see him playing out again. Overall, the instrumentals were awesome. I loved the guitar harmonies and the bassist was one of the best I've seen in the area.

I look forward to seeing all three bands again very soon.
SUPPORT THE LOCAL SCENE, DAMNIT!

I get sick if hearing that phrase. I hate when bands and freinds of bands get angry when people dont show up for local shows. People have lives outside of music. I will make the statement....I support bands and shows that I like. I am not going to just go to a show to just go. I have done that enough in my life and realized I missed other things in life. How many times have this lineup been rammed down our throats??? Correct me if I am wrong but those tow bands seem to play together alot. That and they seem to play a lot of shows to so the interest in seeing them lessens. Almost like, I know I will see the opening for a larger act soon enough...why drive out to see just them. But I hate the attitude that people have posted on this and other forums about supporting the local scene. If there were bands I liked that were from around here I would. I think anyone would. There is just a limited amount of decent bands from this area. I know there are lots of people who agree with this, but are to cowardly to speak up. Sure it is great that these bands get a chance to play but to come the next day and point fingers at people stinks. With so many other things happening around this city, it is hard to make it to every show or just think that people are going to come is just plain ignorant. I understand that local acts need to start somewhere, this isnt a crack at them (for once), this is about the finger pointing. I could turn it around and say...where were you all during Therion???? Here is a band that flew over to play and no one showed up...thus having Therion never again coming over to play the states. People have lives and obligations.

My only complaint about local bands is that many complain that no one came, yet they did VERY little beyond posting on a forum that they had a show.

I think this goes for any show, local or not, or festival.

The question I would ask is:
1) Were there flyers at EVERY independent record store? (That is city AND suburbs)
2) Were there flyers for the show at other gigs the couple weeks before your show?
3) If I walk up and down major streets in Chicago were music fans hang out (IE - Clark, Belmont, etc, etc) will I see a flyer for your show?

I think many promoters fail to realize that there is a whole community of show-goers that exist BEYOND the forums. You can't expect to only promote your gig on a forum or two, and then have a packed gig.

This is same problem I see with lots of package tours or bands selected for festivals. I have seen people say things like, "Wow, no one showed up. With all the hype, I would have expected it to be packed!!!" People seem to judge everything based on what they read online.

The issue though is that the online community counts for what, maybe 5% of the potential attendance for a metal show for any given city?

On the flipside, I am all in favor of supporting the local scene. There are a few die-hards here who seem to regularly go to local gigs to support and that's awesome. I'll be the first to admit that I am not one of them. As Bob had said, I spent MANY MANY years going to multiple shows almost every weekend. That time in my life has come and gone. I am a lot more selective in going to shows. And yes, I will pull the "family" card, and give anyone a cock punch who has a problem with it. Sorry, but I would choose taking my daughter ice skating over going to a local gig ANY day of the week. If that means I am not in the "in" club, then so be it.

Everybody leads different lives. For some, going to metal shows is their social life, and that's really cool.

Anyhow, my next post is post #5000, so I will try to make it a doosie!

I get sick if hearing that phrase. I hate when bands and freinds of bands get angry when people dont show up for local shows. People have lives outside of music. I will make the statement....I support bands and shows that I like. I am not going to just go to a show to just go. I have done that enough in my life and realized I missed other things in life. How many times have this lineup been rammed down our throats??? Correct me if I am wrong but those tow bands seem to play together alot. That and they seem to play a lot of shows to so the interest in seeing them lessens. Almost like, I know I will see the opening for a larger act soon enough...why drive out to see just them. But I hate the attitude that people have posted on this and other forums about supporting the local scene. If there were bands I liked that were from around here I would. I think anyone would. There is just a limited amount of decent bands from this area. I know there are lots of people who agree with this, but are to cowardly to speak up. Sure it is great that these bands get a chance to play but to come the next day and point fingers at people stinks. With so many other things happening around this city, it is hard to make it to every show or just think that people are going to come is just plain ignorant. I understand that local acts need to start somewhere, this isnt a crack at them (for once), this is about the finger pointing. I could turn it around and say...where were you all during Therion???? Here is a band that flew over to play and no one showed up...thus having Therion never again coming over to play the states. People have lives and obligations.

I agree with you to a point (hence my statement of showing up late on purpose). However some of us have a certain amount of loyalty to the "scene" that others might not. There's nothing wrong in having it and there's nothing wrong in NOT having it as well.
Having said that if your band sucks then I'm not gonna bother seeing them. Granted sometimes it's not possible for me to go to some shows that I wanted too like the last Twelve Gate show at PRP 'cause I had work issues and Eden's Fall 'cause Heaven and Hell played that same night.

BTW Bob, don't flatter yourself, no one noticed that you weren't at any of these shows and I'm certain that no one really cared either. :)

Just so you know...I'm getting the phrase "Support the Local Scene" tattoo'd on my forehead.
Ha Ha!

I understand where you are coming from in a sense. The phrase can be overused. But that's part of promoting and advertising. It's the same thing as seeing a commercial or billboard. If you don't like the product, then don't buy it, watch it or look at it. The choice is yours.

All people have different taste, which is awesome. If everyone liked the same bands then the world would be a really boring fucking place and I wouldn't have argumentive discussions to prevent me from doing actual work here in my little cubicle. (Ha Ha!)

But I'm seeing too many cover bands taking over all the clubs and venues when there are great originals bands that could easily be heard as well.
A lot of musicians that play in cover bands have an originals side project that does not get as much exposure to the scene.

A friend told me that once he wanted to get into a venue for a show, and the club owner asked him the following:
1. Are you on myspace?
2. How many friends do you have on myspace?
3. What are the comments you are getting on myspace?

What it came down to is that in order to play that show, the band had to have a certain amount of friends on myspace and have comments regarding their sound. I know this myspace popularity contest is not a requirement in 99% of bookings, but it's pretty fucking sad that instance came down to myspace, but if that is how club owners gage their following, then so be it.

I also agree that promoters need to reach further beyond the online community and a lot of them do....by going to shows and supporting the local scene regardless of whether they really wanted to see that band or not.
And although dusting my house and doing laundry does sound quite intriguing, I think I’d rather go out and enjoy life and discover what else is out there with an open mind.

And like I said everyone has different interests, so if going to a show, “just to go” isn’t your thing, then fine. But no one is pointing the finger at you because you don’t. And if you feel they are, it’s just a sign of that person’s passion for that band, so don’t take it personally.

By going out and meeting people spreads the word. For example, I make friends with you, I tell you about a band I saw and liked, you go and see the show or at least check them out online and whether or not you like them is up to you, but at least I got their name out there for you to give them a chance.

Local bands have to start somewhere and if it requires playing the same venue over and over again, in an attempt to expand their borders, then great. A band can't expect to have one show and two practices before playing Wacken. If you see the same bands playing a lot of venues, that means they must have gained an interest by someone. Bands don’t expect everyone to attend all their shows, because like you said, "that would be plain ignorant" and you would be right. But if a person is passionate enough about a band, they will go see them as much as they can.

I agree with you to a point (hence my statement of showing up late on purpose). However some of us have a certain amount of loyalty to the "scene" that others might not. There's nothing wrong in having it and there's nothing wrong in NOT having it as well.
Having said that if your band sucks then I'm not gonna bother seeing them. Granted sometimes it's not possible for me to go to some shows that I wanted too like the last Twelfth Gate show at PRP 'cause I had work issues and Eden's Fall 'cause Heaven and Hell played that same night.

BTW Bob, don't flatter yourself, no one noticed that you weren't at any of these shows and I'm certain that no one really cared either. :)

Fixed...sorry, just a pet peeve of mine...hahaha :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

And don't sweat it bro...I totally understand when life gets in the way. I wish I had more time to go to shows too.

HEY!! Wait a second! I just remembered...someone never showed up to either Powerfest night this year. True, there may not have been any "local" bands", but it was still an event in dire need of local support. ;)

Oh snap!! Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :p

And in case you're wondering...I'm just giving you shit. :p :lol: :lol:

HEY!! Wait a second! I just remembered...someone never showed up to either Powerfest night this year. True, there may not have been any "local" bands", but it was still an event in dire need of local support. ;)

Oh snap!! Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :p

And in case you're wondering...I'm just giving you shit. :p :lol: :lol:

Ha Ha! Dude, you better just be giving me shit, because I WAS THERE!
Remember they switched my room from a smoking double to a non smoking single room?
All that Imported Jagar at the Afterparties at the Super 8 must have clouded your memory. I know I am very easy to forget but DAMN! =P

And besides, I knew if I didn't show up, there would be no one to bust your balls about not having any flaming sword weilding Power Metal bands.
Ha Ha!

I love you! :)

Ha Ha! Dude, you better just be giving me shit, because I WAS THERE!
Remember they switched my room from a smoking double to a non smoking single room?
All that Imported Jagar at the Afterparties at the Super 8 must have clouded your memory. I know I am very easy to forget but DAMN! =P

And besides, I knew if I didn't show up, there would be no one to bust your balls about not having any flaming sword weilding Power Metal bands.
Ha Ha!

I love you! :)

Shit, sorry...then which show am I thinking of? Oh...now I remember...I was thinking of the Metal Anthem show...especially cuz you were on the flyer too. Sorry for getting the 2 mixed up...my bad. As I'm sure you know...the Powerfest weekend was crazy for me, Chris & John...then when I finally got to relax each night, I was pretty F'ed up. :lol:

It was actually Tony (Rich too, right?) that I was thinking of about missing the fest.

And for the record...thanks for choosing the Powerfest as the one NOT to miss. :p Much appreciated!!! ;)

Shit, sorry...then which show am I thinking of? Oh...now I remember...I was thinking of the Metal Anthem show...especially cuz you were on the flyer too. Sorry for getting the 2 mixed up...my bad. As I'm sure you know...the Powerfest weekend was crazy for me, Chris & John...then when I finally got to relax each night, I was pretty F'ed up. :lol:

It was actually Tony (Rich too, right?) that I was thinking of about missing the fest.

And for the record...thanks for choosing the Powerfest as the one NOT to miss. :p Much appreciated!!! ;)

-Ha Ha! I'm gonna photoshop that quote in a conversation bubble with you giving a thumbs up and a huge shit eatin' grin on your face. Ha Ha! J/K

As for Powerfest this year....no problem, dude.
I think I only maybe talked to you about 20 minutes that entire weekend. I know you were very busy. It was a fun weekend....just felt sorry for the maids at the Super 8. Ha Ha!

As for Midwest Metal Anthem....(Not that everyone cares to read about my personal issues), but I was there the first night (Friday), but was extremely ill... and not in a Jager binge related way. I made it until after midnight before I had a choice between puking on stage while announcing the next band (which would have been so Metal!) or being "so not Metal" and going home.
BOO!!!!
So yeah, that really sucked. We had a great lineup for that!

My only complaint about local bands is that many complain that no one came, yet they did VERY little beyond posting on a forum that they had a show.

1) Were there flyers at EVERY independent record store? (That is city AND suburbs)
2) Were there flyers for the show at other gigs the couple weeks before your show?
3) If I walk up and down major streets in Chicago were music fans hang out (IE - Clark, Belmont, etc, etc) will I see a flyer for your show?

I think many promoters fail to realize that there is a whole community of show-goers that exist BEYOND the forums. You can't expect to only promote your gig on a forum or two, and then have a packed gig.

This is same problem I see with lots of package tours or bands selected for festivals. I have seen people say things like, "Wow, no one showed up. With all the hype, I would have expected it to be packed!!!" People seem to judge everything based on what they read online.

The issue though is that the online community counts for what, maybe 5% of the potential attendance for a metal show for any given city?

There are some problems with this approach, it may of worked back the 80s to early 90s, now you just dont see that anymore for various reasons. Independent record stores hardly exists anymore, besides Metal Haven, Impulse Music and Beyond the Limit not many other places cater to metal. Roling Stones is such a mixed bag now and the neighborhood around there is nothing like it used to be back in the day I remember when the HIP was metal not anymore its Hip Hop, I wish they'd get the Brickyard open again (long story). Sure there are some younger kids in that area that are getting into metal but they're not old enough to get into most shows.

We had flyers at Lengends before our show, other venues will not let you post any type of flyer if its for another bar/club.

I dont know about the corner of Belmont and Clark anymore again its a different crowd and that neighborhood has gotten to be too rich for the old culture that was around there. I'm shocked that the Alley is still there and occupying as much property that it is. A couple of the best venues in the city were in that neighborhood and they're gone Avalon, the one place that was directly behind Leonas on Wilton (now a condo), the all ages place that was on Sheffield and School another condo, I cant remember the last time I went to a metal show at the VIC. No more Guitar Center there. If anything the hood has a few Goths, mostly people travel to get that hood to hang out and unlike when the younger people used to live there, nobody lives in that area that doesnt make $80K+ a year.

You can stand outside of shows passing out flyers, put them in the Guitar Centers and the couple metal shops but there really isnt that area where you can find where the metal heads hang out in mass. Because of this you have to go the web approach, utilize website like mypsace, message boards, etc..

Sucks but those are the times we have to deal with. At least I saw the old Smilers sign at Rival's practice spot when I was there last week. :headbang:

Fixed...sorry, just a pet peeve of mine...hahaha :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

Talk about pet peeves, try being in a band called "Bavmorda" and telling the stupid Willow story everytime someone asks you what that means. :Smug:
At least people can pronounce TWELFTH GATE.

On the flipside, I am all in favor of supporting the local scene. There are a few die-hards here who seem to regularly go to local gigs to support and that's awesome. I'll be the first to admit that I am not one of them. As Bob had said, I spent MANY MANY years going to multiple shows almost every weekend. That time in my life has come and gone. I am a lot more selective in going to shows. And yes, I will pull the "family" card, and give anyone a cock punch who has a problem with it. Sorry, but I would choose taking my daughter ice skating over going to a local gig ANY day of the week. If that means I am not in the "in" club, then so be it.

Everybody leads different lives. For some, going to metal shows is their social life, and that's really cool.

Anyhow, my next post is post #5000, so I will try to make it a doosie!

For not having been at the show you sure have a lot of ideas on how to promote one. :loco:

actually jason has a background in booking shows. I have done a couple and helped out at lots. Not just small local acts either. Very decent size shows and bands. I have also ruined a show that was going to be at the Metro....long story. But in a short version, a myself and a few freinds convinced the headlining act of a near sold out show to pull out and play at a basement. they were all for it...since it was a punk act who was very DIY.
People wanted out heads.