Reminder for Chicagolanders: 12th Gate / Mindwarp Chamber / Sacred Dawn on 2/10!

metalprof

Ken Luther
Mar 11, 2005
Valparaiso, IN
faculty.valpo.edu
While Rob is curled up in a fetal position on his floor waiting for his phone to ring, I thought I'd post a reminder about the show tomorrow night February 10th at Legends in Addison, IL:

Twelfth Gate / Mindwarp Chamber / Sacred Dawn.

I'm going to try to make it. We'll be in Chicago for Disney on Ice :headbang: at the United Center earlier in the day, so my getting to the show will depend on a lot of timing and transportation issues, but I'm at least going to give it a try!

Ken

Thanks for the plug, Ken!! And although I may not be in the fetal position...hehe, I do go through phases throughout the day where I kinda look like this...:loco: or this...o_O or this... :loco: and maybe a little bit of this...:rolleyes:

But no matter what, tomorrow night I'll definitely be like this...:kickass: :danceboy: Hahaha.

Hope to see you at the show.

Take care,
Rob

Alright. If I do in fact end up going and you turn out to be a no-show, I declare full rights to give you crap on Monday. :p

Fair enough :)

BTW, does anyone know the dining situation around Legends? If all goes *extremely* well I'll be shedding the spouse and kids around 6pm downtown and heading out on my own. Since the show won't start until 9-10pm, I'll need dinner before hand. If I head to the general area of Lake Street and Legends, are there lots of restaurants?

Ken

But no matter what, tomorrow night I'll definitely be like this...:kickass: :danceboy:

The show will now not be complete if you don't break out into this actual dance move on stage. It's your choice of what song to do it during, or maybe to wait until a break between songs, but now you're committed to it! I want to see elbows swingin' and knees knockin!

Rock on, dance boy!

Ken

Fair enough :)

BTW, does anyone know the dining situation around Legends? If all goes *extremely* well I'll be shedding the spouse and kids around 6pm downtown and heading out on my own. Since the show won't start until 9-10pm, I'll need dinner before hand. If I head to the general area of Lake Street and Legends, are there lots of restaurants?

Ken

Whatcha lookin' for? I know for a fact that there is a Taco Hell and a Wendy's just about next door to Legends. Beyond that, if you head west of Legends (meaning, Legends should be on your left), there are a slew of restauraunts (Applebees, Giordano's, some Mexican place, a sushi place amongst others). You're bound to find something. Hope that helps!

Whatcha lookin' for? I know for a fact that there is a Taco Hell and a Wendy's just about next door to Legends. Beyond that, if you head west of Legends (meaning, Legends should be on your left), there are a slew of restauraunts (Applebees, Giordano's, some Mexican place, a sushi place amongst others). You're bound to find something. Hope that helps!

Thanks! On the off chance I'll need to kill a couple of hours, a place like Applebees would do fine.

Ken

Good show last night! I left early during Sacred Dawn for the long drive home. Twelfth Gate's set was a lot of fun. Mindwarp Chamber completely blew my mind, they were so incredibly good. I can't wait for their CD to come out.

Rob asked me what I thought about the new Twelfth Gate singer Aaron, but MWC was playing and it is too annoying to try to carry on a conversation when you can't hear each other, so I told him I'd tell him later, and here it is!

I think Red was such a change in style that he immediately alienated a pretty good chunk of 12th Gate fans who were at last year's Powerfest. Some people liked the change, but a lot didn't. He seemed to go right into the more core-ish kind of singing and stayed there most of the time except when he'd go clean once in a while. Aaron, on the other hand, holds a good spot in the middle ground. He's got a good voice that mostly hangs near the clean-ish range but with a rough edge to it. But from there, he went both directions with ease. He sang pure clean, and he also let out some nice growls. He seemed very versatile. His "normal" voice that he started most songs in should not turn off fans of Scott's style since it's harmonic and understandable, even with that rough edge. He's not just screaming. But he can go all out scream/growl when the occasion demands it - but he only does it sporadically. So those people who like the more aggressive edge to the vox should be happy too. So, Rob, you have my permission to keep him! :headbang:

Nice to see lots of friends there, and to meet ShadowLioness.

So Jason, where were YOU???? :Smug:

Ken

Yes, great show last night! I suppose Ken summed it up pretty well. I too really liked the new singer for Twelfth Gate. As a fan of generally the rougher vocal style, Aaron had a nice balance and that made me happy.

Nice to meet you too Ken! I was beginning to wonder if I was in fact gonna be able to give you shit for not showing up. :p Thanks to KK for introducing us. I didn't mean to run off so fast but I didn't want to miss any of SD.

Another successful metal night. Woot!

Great night o metal, good meeting you finally Ken after crossing paths so many times before!

I don't have much to add, all the bands kicked a lot of ass, only complaint was that sound guy who not only had it way to loud but had the mix really bad..didn't ruin a good night however!!

Great night o metal, good meeting you finally Ken after crossing paths so many times before!

Ditto, Tony!

I don't have much to add, all the bands kicked a lot of ass, only complaint was that sound guy who not only had it way to loud but had the mix really bad..didn't ruin a good night however!!

In his favor, he did jump right on the problem when the spotlights went out on Mindwarp Chamber. Oh, and he was quick to take care of the blown fuse problem during Mindwarp Chamber. Wonder why Mindwarp Chamber caused all the problems? :)

Ken

Hey guys! Thanks so much for your feedback & glad to hear you like our new guy...AARON. ;) I hope you guys don't mind, but I took advantage of my moderator power & fixed your posts to correct his name. :p

Can't wait to finish up some new material for you guys to hear what Aaron can do using his own style.

We all had a blast last night & we can't wait to do it again...and many thanks to everyone who came out...you guys RAWK!!!! :kickass:

Take care,
Rob

Until last night, Twelfth Gate was pretty much dead to me. I was done within three songs of their set at Powerfest and had retired to the bar to drink to their memory and send text messages to friends of mine who weren't in attendance. (Rob asked my opinion later in the night, and when I told him this it either didn't come across right, or was obscured by the other band playing, but either way he looked like I'd just kicked his dog until I explained myself a second time.) Thankfully Red was shown the door and Aaron has been brought into the fold. Aaron's take on the material, and his mix of styles was a very quick sell to me. After the first song ended, it got kinda quiet, and I just couldn't resist the urge to shout "Upgrade!" I'm eager for this lineup to start playing more shows and making new music.

Unfortunately for me, I missed all but maybe 30 seoncds of Mindwarp Chamber when they opened for Kamelot... but seeing them at Legends more than made up for that. Pretty sure I'll me making the trek to JJ Kelley's on 3.24 to see them support Winterkill, 'cause what I heard at Legends, blown fuses and all, was excellent.