Mixing Practice (fast heavy song)

a present for you! dig the song so much!! i mixed it with hi-fi monitoring at my girlfriends house! will look over it with some descent monitoring in my studio soon! so what do ya think??

besides i don´t see why people would ever wan´t to edit the drums on this song! their played pretty well and it flows just like it is!
Quantizing old school hardcore is the death sentence!

love the song bro

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10282303/hollow ground Illfate Aarons mix.mp3

Good mix man. :headbang: The sound level of the individual channels is the only thing that needs to be reviewed. But as you said you mixed it with hi-fi's.

thanks! :)
i post some printscreens later with the settings.
yes, now i find it also to smashed, but while mixing, i didn`t noticed it... maybe i was to focused on the individual instruments and not enough of the big picture.

regards, markus

Guitars:
all TSE X30 V1.6 SOV
Input 6.5/10
Drive 7/10
Bass 5/10
LoMid 3/10
HiMid 8/10
Treble 8/10
Contour off
Output 5/10
Stereo/Trafo off

impulse: all BURNY MESA OS 6505 "BL Joint_dc.wav"

EQ on guitar-bus with a not-so-steep hi-pass @ 100Hz and a low-pass at13kHz (also not very steep)
Guitars panned 90/90, centerguitar is 7,8dB lower than the other two.

Snare-Bus:
No comp
HiPass @ 90Hz
wide boost at 200Hz, 4,5dB
wide cut at 525Hz, -3,7dB
wide boost at 6,75kHz, 5dB

Reverb: "Medium Tiled.wav"-impulse, just a very little bit

again, no compression (for kick also!!)

bottom-snare 6,9dB lower than top-snare

some tube-saturation/parallel-comp on the drum-bus.

listend again to my mix, no i think it sounds very muddy in the lowmids from the guitars... ?

thanks for the settings khe!!

HAha yeah the tse is great i also got the burny impules but actually never used them..

hmm maybe i should start trying a mix with out any comp on the single drums!!

Liebe Grüße

i think you understand that!

na klar ;)

avrinder, i think you used some comps/gates while recording, right?

i will download the tracks in the evening and take a listen...

regards,
markus

that's correct, the engineer did use outboard gear (gate/comp) while tracking

thanks for the new mix shallowenergy , will check out when I'm not at work

Thanks and glad you liked it. :kickass: What I did with the vocals was that I used the UAD 1176 and all buttons in i.e distort the vocals. Works great on songs like this. And used the distortion plugin in Cubase to distort more for the left vocals and at the end(used some lowpass there at the end). Highpassed at 100hz for the centre vocal and 133hz for the left. Dipped at 700hz a few db and lifted at 5khz. The left vocals were lifted ca 1db at 9khz too. A tiny bit of platereverb, EMT140 and EQ:d it until I was satisfied. That was all.