Mono compatible quad track guitars

dtrider

New Metal Member
Oct 6, 2008
hi all, When I quad track guitars I seem to loose mono compatibility. I am usually putting two tracks each at 100% left and 100% right all recorded in separate passes. When I go to mono on the desk I lose all the meat... big time phase cancellation. How do you all deal with this?

Hmm, that's a good point...still, for those who prefer the sound of quad-tracking (or rather, think it's worth it, which I personally do not), I guess losing some mono fidelity is a worthy tradeoff

Basically making it not sound like assholes when it's played back in (meaning summed to) mono, such as on youtube

i use parallel compression quite a bit, and i've noticed that if i bring the compressed tracks more towards the center like 50-75%, phase cancellation has a much smaller impact when i playback in mono.

Do correct me if im wrong, but wasn't it sneap himself who said something along the lines of...
"mono schmono"

(cant be arsed to search... sorry andy!)

Well honestly, where are you gonna hear your mix in mono besides youtube, anyway? Or maybe music video rotation, but somehow I doubt many of us really have to lose sleep over that :lol:

Well honestly, where are you gonna hear your mix in mono besides youtube, anyway? Or maybe music video rotation, but somehow I doubt many of us really have to lose sleep over that :lol:

All over the place and more in the future I imagine. Cell phones, tv, internet, etc. I know it isn't going to sound huge but I am talking about almost ALL of the guitars dropping out so all of the sudden I have a drum bass and vocal mix

try
<100<75~75>100>

it helps

Andy did say he doesn't worry about it, but it's a drag when you hear your mix in mono and there`s no guitars on it
I don't get this. If I pan everything differently that only changes the volume of each item when it is summed in mono right? I am game for anything though.

Not quite - I'm not certain of the science behind it, but I know that the panning of things makes a difference in how they sound in mono (hence the practice of panning in mono until something "pops" out)

I don't get this. If I pan everything differently that only changes the volume of each item when it is summed in mono right? I am game for anything though.

put your mix in mono with the guitars centered. now move them apart until you notice them diminish then go back to the point before the phase cancellation happens. Hit the stereo button and see what you think.

most club systems are run in mono, and believe me it's noticeable. any small source( say a boombox) is mono five feet away. many tv broadcasts etc. I know Andy said he doesn't worry about it, but if you take his mixes and flip them back and forth, his mix doesn't fall apart so he's paying attention somewhere.
also he pans 100<80-80>100 at least as far as he's posted on here. and that makes a huge difference between hard left and right.
I dunno my shit got better all the way around when I started checking in mono first, not that I'm a badass or anything..

and as far as "mono schmono" maybe it isn't a big deal, but I know that when I listen to the big boy's mixes and they are almost completely mono compatible it drives me crazy. They've got some mojo I don't have and therefore I must figure it out. The worst thing that can happen is I get better at this stuff right?

They've got some mojo I don't have
yeah, it's called a goniometer
Meterbridge_Goniometer.png

you would want to keep that bar at the bottom to the right as much as possible, & the green blob in the middle

a mono signal would produce a straight line angled according to balance; whereas a stereo signal, being asymmetrical, would produce a jittery and fluffy-looking ball (see image).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goniometer_(audio)

this discussion makes no sense... separate performances have no phase coherency, thus do not cancel or add when summed to mono like with two mics tracked on a single source.

poorly performed separate performances will only sound like a mess when panned to the center. there will be no continuous phase issues.

you can prove this by doing two performances, invert one and try to make them cancel... impossible.

well not true phase cancellation, as in inverting the same audio file, but you can definitely have phase cancellation between similar tracks just like the snare mic may be out of phase with the overheads. It doesn't cancel the snare but it would certainly fuck it up. Same thing with really tight doubles. which brings me to the next thing, tracking with two different amps sometimes helps with this