Mono compatible quad track guitars

and eventho we are in year 2009 soon, mono is still important, here are some applications where mono is the only soundsystem format available:

- laptop computers
- tv recievers
- elevators
- cellphones
- youtube (except if you upload a .fla file), myspace was until 2007 mono too
- radiorecievers
- club soundsystems
- satellite speakers on clubs
- guitar amplifiers (some play music cds thru their practice amp so they can play along, microcube has this functionality for example)
- public PA-systems
- podcasts

and we are talking about BIG mass of people, about 90% of western culture. and of course these don't mean that ALL of them are mono, even I have a cellphone that you can insert a headphone into and you get stereosound and I think it cost about 60 euros, but still; that list still consists of many many many items and many more that I couldn't even think of

i dunno this sounds pretty good even in mono.

untight quad tracking will cause a lot of cancellation in mono. i have recently started checking mixes in mono a lot to ensure a good balance. it helps with like snare/lead vocal balance. every now and then you just pop it in mono to see if there is anything really standing out of whack.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dunno this sounds pretty good even in mono.

Exactly! that is a great mix. so what's up?
untight quad tracking will cause a lot of cancellation in mono.
I have not had that experience. The tighter the tracks are, the worse the phase issues are for me(if it's a completely different harmony part or something there is very little phase cancellation). I really think it is a frequency thing.

the cancellation i meant is not necessarily phase. the sound itself gets very unpronounced and mushy when parts are not tight if you monitor it in mono. even with double tracking. i like to check double tracked parts a lot in mono when my ears are tired, it's easier to check for tight playing.

Are you using two different amps for your recording? Like 2 takes from an amp on the left, and 2 takes from a different amp on the right?

Some amps can be 180° reversed from others. In stereo you won't hear the cancellation so much because they are physically coming from different speakers, but stick em together and they are gone.

Your guitars shouldn't be phasing out in mono like that any more than if you had put four tracks on one side.

Does this happen with only 1 track from each side in the middle?

Are you using two different amps for your recording? Like 2 takes from an amp on the left, and 2 takes from a different amp on the right?

Some amps can be 180° reversed from others. In stereo you won't hear the cancellation so much because they are physically coming from different speakers, but stick em together and they are gone.

Your guitars shouldn't be phasing out in mono like that any more than if you had put four tracks on one side.

Does this happen with only 1 track from each side in the middle?
i've tried same amps, two amps, four different amps total one pass for each, etc different mike setups too. The best results I get are starting with two panned 100% left/right and then playing with the other pan knobs in mono until the volume jumps up.