Mono

Sep 16, 2004
www.whereshewept.com
Anyone Mono their mix to check for phase cancelations? I was doing it on a mix last night. Funny but i could hear everthing clearer in mono than stereo. but i don't know if it's ear fatigue or i'm trying too hard. Kick, snare bass and vox are all up the middle, guitars hard L+R, OH's hard L+R, toms spread out something like 70%L 20%R and 70%R.

I'm constantly checking for mono compability. Your ears tend to trick you into thinking something sounds great when it really doesnt if things are panned hard. Latley i've been mixing in mono, and one of the very last things I do is start panning. Give it a try sometime.

One of the things that almost all really good commerical recordings have in common is they still sound great in mono, where as I listen to my early mixes now and they just fall apart.

I track everything in mono

about 80% of the time my mix is in mono I'll switch it in and out to check the stereo field. You want full clarity in mono then you you switch it to stereo it should jump out and come alive BOOM!

The first time you hear one of your mixes in a club, on tv, am radio etc. with no guitars in it you'll start to appreciate the need

I am also always switching it in and out. Reallly helps me balance things better.

I track everything in mono

about 80% of the time my mix is in mono I'll switch it in and out to check the stereo field. You want full clarity in mono then you you switch it to stereo it should jump out and come alive BOOM!

The first time you hear one of your mixes in a club, on tv, am radio etc. with no guitars in it you'll start to appreciate the need

I've been trying that, i get the clarity in mono but when i switch to stereo it's kind of dull. i don't think i have my monitors spaced properly because my desk is limited on space. I don't have them in a perfect triangle, i guess that's my next project.

I pretty much switch in and out all the time.

Most during my Eq'n of tracks and adding of effects.

But i find that i get the vocals sitting best when i chuck everything mono.:loco:

So I've wondered for a while, is it a no-no to double track parts with the same amp (panned hard L/R), but then EQ them the exact same way? Even if there aren't any nasty frequency buildups that occur when switching to mono from hard L/R , is it still a better idea to separate them with EQ, so as to improve their mono relationship?

It is allways good to check the mix in mono, not only because of phase cancelation but it often gives me a little new "objectivity" when mixing day in day out on a record. Immediatelly you know if the Vox are buried of if they stick out to much for example.

If it sounds good in mono, it will sound good in stereo as well. But i do not overemphasise the mono thing too much - hell, most folks are listening (to metal) in stereo today. Metal is mostly no "chart-breaking-stuff" wich will be consumed by millions of listeners through the kitchen-radio or in the supermarket during shoping.

brandy

yea here is a good idea.."charles dye method" use a pair of computer speakers or something that translates to the real world good. Put them on the left or right side of you so you would only hear out of 1 ear and switch to that during mixing to hear your mix in mono.

Much easier than having to pan all your faders in and out to keep checking :headbang:

yea here is a good idea.."charles dye method" use a pair of computer speakers or something that translates to the real world good. Put them on the left or right side of you so you would only hear out of 1 ear and switch to that during mixing to hear your mix in mono.

Charles Dye, Charles Schmye....that trick is as old as Les Paul. Ever hear of Auratones? You could also pull that finger outta your ass and stick it in one of your ears for a quick mono check. That's also a good way to check your amp micing in the control room.

HEH

I think it's funny it is always somebody's trick. I guess Clearmountain is using some old IMAC speakers or something and now they are going for astronomical amounts on ebay and they are $.32 chinese speakers, and THAT WAS THE FCUKING POINT

The boombox trick is indeed old, but everyone has his own style to do that.

In old days they made a tape and slamed it into the gettoblaster in the kitchen, today we use cheap PC speaker or creating a quick-mp3 to playback on the mp3player or even the cellphone (i did, that works great).

brandy

metalkingdom said:
You could also pull that finger outta your ass and stick it in one of your ears
Wait, are we talking about the "metalkingdom method" MKI or MKII? Which finger specifcally/angle/humidity/limb?
WATCH ME TYPE THIS POST WITH THE KNIFEVARIABLE METHOD!

Mono is good!

What's so special about that post? It's stupid. I actually offered some good advice there. Some of you are too sensitive.