Montreal Show Review

frycus

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
I made the trip to Montreal for the first concert of the tour and I must say that the concert was incredible. What struck me most about Opeth's live act is that the songs are performed flawlessly, the guitar solos being fluid and Mikael's vocals just perfect. I don't know how Mikael can switch from grind to clean vocals like without showing signs of fatigue in his voice. The setlist from the show was already posted in another thread but I'll post it again:

The Lepper Affinity
Advent
Deliverance
Godhead's Lament
The Drapery Falls
Credence
Bleak
A Fair Judgement

Encore: Demon of the Fall

I don't see how anyone could complain of this setlist. Deliverance was simply mesmerizing, even more if you consider that it was the third time that they actually played the song together. After Deliverance, Mikael said to the crowd that they were going to play something off Still Life and then talked to Peter. He came back and announced that they were not supposed to play this song but they would anyway and we were thus given Godhead's Lament. Maybe they were not even supposed to play a Still Life song. Did Godhead's Lament replace April Ethereal ? Maybe not. This leads me to the next anecdote. The crowd in Montreal was extremely responsive, the atmosphere was simply electric and the band really felt it. The trashing for the first few songs especially was kind of annoying though. Not that I mind trashing, it's just that when you're not in the mood and you want to concentrate on the music because Opeth is playing live for you, it's not ideal. It wasn't really violent though, totally civilized if that can be said. I really didn't expect that level of trashing though at an Opeth show. All things considered, I can't complain because in a different mood I would have done the same thing and this is metal ! Back to my anecdote. I felt that the band really wanted to reward the crowd for being so into the concert and in any event, just felt like playing a few more songs than they were supposed to. But after Bleak, Martin Lopez made a sign to Mikael, pointing to his feet, and indicated that he could not go on any longer. I read in another thread that someone heard that Lopez had problems with his double kicks at the London show so I don't think that I imagined this. Afterwards, Mikael immediately said that this was to be their last song, and so they started A Fair Judgement. The anticipation for the chorus was immense and when it came, it was just magical. When you guys and gals see the show, you will just be in awe. Trust me, we're not worthy !
The band is awesome live, as I said they play the songs flawlessly, it's as if you were hearing the album but not exactly, for the energy is just unique. If you've never seen Opeth before, as was the case for me, you simply won't believe it, they get every note right.
Succintly put, every song was a highlight. Do everything to see them.

sounds amazing,i cant wait till march.it will be the second time ive seen them.

yipeeeeee!

Any setlist that Opeth performs is going to be awesome because of the consistency of their albums, so that is almost a non-issue for me. Currently preparing for tomorrow by listening to the Paris bootleg...

np: opeth - when (live 111301)

I was there right from the start and saw every band. All the bands were quite good, and of course Opeth was incredible, but I had a hard time concentrating on Opeth as I was getting crushed into the stage ( I totally agree with what frycus said. I also did not anticipate that much crazyness for Opeth). I was up front between 2 of the (name escapes me now, but the black speakers that are at the edge of the stage the band sometimes put their feet on). At least the bodyguard near me kept the asshole crowdsurfing in my area to a minimum even though one landed on me, but the bouncer pummeled that person :D . I still can't believe people were moshing to the acoustic parts sometimes...that just blew my mind because those just simply aren't moshible. Besides that it was good but I have to say Foufs sucks as a venue. There were tons of us trying to get out, and they were letting more people in to the club up the narrow stairway. I nearly got pushed down the stairs by the amount of people once the bouncers let us go down finally, and one of the bouncers pushed everyone on their way down and said don't push really forcefully even to those of us being carried along by the crowd (asshole :mad:) . Then after that line there was the coat check line....took us about an hour to get out. It's a bad call to have a concert while the club is still open in it's own right. Makes a hell of a mess. The area where the bands played was great, but I've never had such a hassle getting out of a place as I did at foufs. Medley and Metropolis are much easier venues to vacate following a show, and hell since this sold out I'm sure they could have sold even more and filled the medley making things much more friendly. I met some really cool people (maybe even board members unknowingly). Talked with one guy for quite a while upfront right under paradise losts vocalist and mike. This guy brought a big camera and came up from Toronto to see Opeth in Montreal (wearing bandana, so if you're on here you know who you are). He was still going to see the show in Toronto too. I picked up one of the long sleeve tour shirts (despite the crazy price _:) ), and I got to shake hands with mike and peter as well as meet with the guitarist form paradise lost over by the bar afterwards. Didn't have time to wait around to meet Opeth on the tour bus or anything like that as we still drove back to Ottawa that night and got home about 4 a.m.

Good show, but the asshole ratio was a little high for that venue. At least when it's spaced out more at medley or metropolis there isn't a problem with getting crushed when you're upfront.

The show was awesome, although Tapping the Vein and Paradise Lost were kinda boring. Moonlyght, however, were great.

Opeth, of course, were simply amazing, although sometimes it was hard to tell because of the amount of fake smoke they were pumping through that place...

The only thing that went wrong was when Mikael broke a string during the best part of Demon of the Fall! He just had to stand there waiting for a replacement guitar screaming, "Demon! Demon of th Fall!" Ah well. The song still rocked. :)

Originally posted by Demonspell
Any setlist that Opeth performs is going to be awesome because of the consistency of their albums, so that is almost a non-issue for me. Currently preparing for tomorrow by listening to the Paris bootleg...

np: opeth - when (live 111301)

Couldn't agree more. It almost doesn't matter to me what they play, as long as they're playing.

Semi-related: how's the quality on that boot you have? And where did you get it if you don't mind my asking?

Demonspell whold you be willing to trade for that Paris show?
I have about 45 live audio shows, mostly old school metal. I can send you my list - no web page.

Recently received 2 great VCD's from the mighty Mastodon. Blistering new mathcore band. Highly recommended...