Morals in metal?

As for Lacuna Coil, Epica, and Nightwish, I never felt their leading ladies overdid the sexiness. They are just extremely attractive.

Oh no?

f-Cristina-Scabbia-3264.jpg

I believe this is the most popular image of Cristina Scabbia out there. This, IMO, is overdoing it. Cristina Scabbia is one of the world's beauties, but this is, as far as I can tell, BLATANTLY pandering to the sex side of the metal biz regarding women.

In a Reverie actually has a picture of her naked on the cover and that photo isn't NEARLY as provocative as the one above.

lacuna_coil_in_a_reverie_front.jpg

I believe this is the most popular image of Cristina Scabbia out there. This, IMO, is overdoing it. Cristina Scabbia is one of the world's beauties, but this is, as far as I can tell, BLATANTLY pandering to the sex side of the metal biz regarding women.

I think you'll have varying responses to this type of picture. The European in me is saying "Big deal!" but the neo-femenist in me is going, "How fucking typical!", while the psuedo-lesbian is going "Awesome, I can see up her skirt!!"

..and somewhere in the back of my head, I'm remembering that she is a musician. Somewhere.

I mean Zod is 100% right. The entire world that we live in, let alone the alpha male uber macho metal scene, is male-dominated. It's socially acceptable for men to be whores and sluts, but heaven forbid if women show a little skin. Why does Lauren Harris get shit for dressing sexy but with dudes...

Amon-Amarth-Live-Pictures-%282%29.jpg
I know I get a semi every time I see Johan shirtless. :Spin:

In defense of Christina, she did that shoot for Stuff magazine. And by their standards, that picture is downright conservative. As for the In a Reverie cover, Andrea is just as naked on the cover, and no one questions his motives. Finally, the only defense Christina truly needs, is her voice. Like her or not, that chick can sing.

In defense of Christina, she did that shoot for Stuff magazine. And by their standards, that picture is downright conservative. As for the In a Reverie cover, Andrea is just as naked on the cover, and no one questions his motives. Finally, the only defense Christina truly needs, is her voice. Like her or not, that chick can sing.

This.

I don't think the average heterosexual male (aka 85% of metal listeners) really care enough about the appearance of other guys to start making comments. They comment on the looks of those who they find attractive. So yeah, nobody is going to start commenting on shirtless dudes.

I'll post my long rant of thoughts on this topic later when I have more time, but real quickly...

Two words: ROCK BITCH

watch

(nsfw!!!)
You beat me to it! My first thought when I opened this thread was Rockbitch!
Well, that's why I say, I'm not certain about my standing.
So you want the people on a forum of a festival you don't even attend to tell you how you feel? Or is it a "I'll base my opinion on the opinion of the majority" thing?

It's kind of like... if a dude were to whip out his balls on stage. Wouldn't that strike you as a little weird?
THE DWARVES. :D

Heh and I've seen more shows where the male band members....exposed themselves....than where the female ones have. I think the count is like 3-0? Nobody was really visibly turned on. It was more of a WTF WHAT ARE THEY DOING reaction.

So you want the people on a forum of a festival you don't even attend to tell you how you feel? Or is it a "I'll base my opinion on the opinion of the majority" thing?

No, you big silly-billy! I just wanted to discuss the topic with other metal-heads. :)

..and hey, I'd go to Prog Power if it didn't always fall on the same date as one of my gigs! :( I'm really sad I keep missing it. No need to be a big poop over it.

In a Reverie actually has a picture of her naked on the cover and that photo isn't NEARLY as provocative as the one above.

lacuna_coil_in_a_reverie_front.jpg

Granted, I'm not a Lacuna Coil fan, but I had never even realized that the cover featured Cristina and Andrea until you just pointed it out -- I never examined it closely enough beyond thinking that they were two random statues/models/etc. Wow.

Yeah, that Scabia pic from STUFF or whatever was exactly FOR that purpose.
I was speaking more about Lacuna Coil promo pics.
Sure, there are some where she is "dressed up" more than others, but not to the point of blatant sex appeal, like IN THIS MOMENT or whatever.

i never thought this cover was pandering especially since it's BOTH singers of the band in the same scene. plus, you cannot even SEE anything. this is art, again Italian culture. i mean Roman statues, etc. this is art, not selling sex.

reverie, revery [ˈrɛvərɪ]
n pl -eries
1. an act or state of absent-minded daydreaming to fall into a reverie
2. (Music, other) a piece of instrumental music suggestive of a daydream
3. Archaic a fanciful or visionary notion; daydream

i never thought this cover was pandering especially since it's BOTH singers of the band in the same scene. plus, you cannot even SEE anything. this is art, again Italian culture. i mean Roman statues, etc. this is art, not selling sex.

reverie, revery [ˈrɛvərɪ]
n pl -eries
1. an act or state of absent-minded daydreaming to fall into a reverie
2. (Music, other) a piece of instrumental music suggestive of a daydream
3. Archaic a fanciful or visionary notion; daydream

I agree, and I actually kind of like that album cover. Blatant sexualization would be more like...

245601.jpg

Oooooor....

Taylor-Momsen-500.jpg

I know it says "Hard Rock", but yeah.. STRIPPER HEELS ARE SO METAL!! :lol:

One of my problems with female fronted bands in general is that the female front tends to -utterly- dominate the band's image, and beyond the frontwoman, in most people's minds, the rest of the band is essentially disposable. Hers is the only name mentioned, the only band member whose performance is given praise. Granted there are exceptions, but they are few. The band is the singer. In bands where this is obviously stated to be the case, no problem, but if it's just person A and a revolving door of musicians, don't call it a band.

But none of this is the fault of the band, nor the fromtwoman of the band. I have no problem with women being in charge, or front-and-center, and I wish more women would get into playing instruments and metal in general, My problem is with the double standard, and the fact that there being a woman at the front pretty much dooms the band to being "female-fronted" like some kind of subgenre regardless of the music style they're playing. YOu're no longer just playing metal, you're now playing "female fronted" metal.

When Delain played last year, I remember there being a lot of "She was so hot" "her voice was great.."comments regarding the singer, but very, very little about the rest of the band. Perhaps that's saying more about the music itself than I realize :lol:

Regardless;

Music has always been pretty sexual, and a woman in a band who plays up her sex appeal isn't doing anything new or all that shocking, but it really depends on the rest of the act. If you're singing about sex, then sure, it makes perfect sense to give everyone in the audience boners with your act, provided you're not marketing yourself to teenagers n' shit. Besides, everybody likes boobs. Everybody.

People take sex too damn seriously. Everybody does it, it's biologically wired into our being, and I don't think we'd hurt to be a bit more free/less neurotic about it in general. But I digress, If the women in the band are in bondage gear, then as long as the dudes are too, that's fine by me, it's when there's a distinct imbalance between the sexualized frontwoman and the totally diminished "other" band members, it's just annoying. Share the spotlight! Granted not everyone in the band is going to be sexy. In fact most people aren't 'sexy' by conventional standards (and good luck being a successful frontwoman if you're -not- sexy. That fact bugs the shit out of me.) but getting back on topic:

Is the woman's sexy an empowering "owning" of her own sexuality, or is it an internalization of male masturbatory fantasy?

If the women in the band are in bondage gear, then as long as the dudes are too, that's fine by me, it's when there's a distinct imbalance between the sexualized frontwoman and the totally diminished "other" band members, it's just annoying. Share the spotlight!

This is a REALLY good point! Maybe it just looks so weird because the woman is the only one being sexualized; the dudes look like they're just there to be her "back up band".