Morals in metal?

Proving my point. The rest of the band is totally written off in a single sentence, and the same could be said of just about every female-fronted metal band that gets any meaningful media attention.

What if she weren't as attractive? Would you still listen to them if the singer were a total dog? I think this sends a defeatist message to a lot of women who might otherwise be interested in playing in a band, but unless they're OMGHAWT, nobody will give even a first look at -even the rest of the band-. Which is totally ridiculous because there are lots of fugly dudes in metal and rock. Hell, I know a pair of ladies who totally rule at their respective instruments (Guitar and bass.) but can't get in bands because nobody takes them seriously. Being 1. Female and 2. Not super hawt makes getting the 'foot in the door' virtually impossible.

And that's straight up bullshit.

I get what you're after and how you read that in what I said, but it's not really what I was saying. I started liking Delain before I really had any idea what Charlotte looked like, other than knowing she was a redhead.

Let's try another band fronted by a female. Triosphere. I don't think she's a super-hottie or anything, but she's still quite good at what she does. Or Clandestine, as was posted in another thread a bit ago. What pulls me in has nothing to do with them being females, it's got to do with the music they offer. The same goes for Delain, only given their style, the voice is the focal point of the music.

I remember reading back in the day that Rock Bitch would throw a "golden condom" to the crowd during their concerts. The lucky winner got to fuck one of them after the show... I am not sure if it's true, but that's what the article said haha.

99% true. In the Rock Bitch DVD I have, they throw the "golden condom" during the show, and the lucky winner gets to fuck their "slave girl" in the back room.

Its pretty funny. On that DVD, the guy who catches it goes back with the "slave girl" and they come back out about 3 minutes later while the song is still going. Babe, the female guitarist, says "What the fuck?!?! That was quick!":lol:

99% true. In the Rock Bitch DVD I have, they throw the "golden condom" during the show, and the lucky winner gets to fuck their "slave girl" in the back room.

Its pretty funny. On that DVD, the guy who catches it goes back with the "slave girl" and they come back out about 3 minutes later while the song is still going. Babe, the female guitarist, says "What the fuck?!?! That was quick!":lol:

Oh GEEZ! Now THAT is a gimmick.. XD

But I'm glad to see I'm not crazy in my thoughts of whether or not marketting a band based on tits is a great idea. I guess in the long run, substance lasts longer.

Unless you're Madonna. *ducks*

I wouldn't call it a gimmick. It's like they say, it's really a way to prove that they're the real deal. They believe in the power of sex, so that's their way of stepping up to the plate and proving it without having to fuck everyone in the audience hahaha.

I guess we should all dismiss bands when they try to sell themselves based on the physical appeal of the singer. Music should be "pure" and without commercial intent. However, the reality is that bands are trying to make money (or at least not lose too much) playing music. Most musicians would love to be able to make enough to live on just by playing in their band. The reality though, is that most can't. So commercial tactics come into play. Even without that drive to make money, bands want to play to as many people as they can. Not everybody will like what you play, so the more people who hear your music, the more likely it will be heard by those who will "get it." Either way, the band has to use all tools available to get more recognition. I don't know if that's right, but it's the way it is.

When it really comes down to it, it shouldn't matter. Music is an audio media. Looks shouldn't play a part. Then again, why is it that we all go to see live performances? Why do we enjoy an energetic show more than one where the performers just stand up there and play? Shows are just that; shows. The experience becomes more than just visual. The more emotions a band can tap into, the more memorable it will be for their viewers (based on learning theory). So if the band can add a physical/sexual appeal, that's one more emotion that the audience can experience.

Is there anything wrong with women being into Kamelot because they think Roy is hot?

As to how you should go about your job in your band, I think you should do what come naturally to you. If you go out in public, how do you dress? Do you wear sweats and a ratty t-shirt? Do you dress in a way that makes you look as good as possible? Do the same when you go on stage. Most people would prefer to be thought of as attractive, regardless of the venue. Therefore, they try to dress in a way that enhances their looks. If you're in great shape and want to show off your abs because you worked really hard to get them looking so good, why not? That's not selling sex. It's dressing in a way that shows off how you look. The fact that you're in a band doesn't change that.

(BTW, I'm sick, so if that's not too coherent, it's because I'm a bit out of it.)

may i bring up the deal with the belly dancer during kamelots set at prog power? WTF was the point of that?

Hi Nina!!!

Clearly, I have a stalker. >_>

And I didn't know Kamelot had a belly dancer.. was she an actual belly dancer? Or was she a member of the current trend going around where girls think they're belly dancers because they wear "trible goth" outfits and sway like 'tards?

I'm a little biased.. I do Egyptian style bellydance. XP

It was Elize Ryd, their backup singer... I can't comment on her abilities since I know nothing about belly dancing, but it was during the prelude to "Nights of Arabia," IIRC, so it wasn't like it didn't have context.

It was Elize Ryd, their backup singer... I can't comment on her abilities since I know nothing about belly dancing, but it was during the prelude to "Nights of Arabia," IIRC, so it wasn't like it didn't have context.

OH! Well, that makes sense. I'm not gonna bash on her for dancing, then. Unless it was some random-ass chick back-up dancing on the stage, that's cool.

By the way, I've had that offered once. The bass player's sister (in my old band) came to me after a show and said, "Nina, you're like, really modest, and guys like to see some skin, so what if I got on stage and danced while you sing??"

It was fabulous.

Then again, why is it that we all go to see live performances? Why do we enjoy an energetic show more than one where the performers just stand up there and play? Shows are just that; shows. The experience becomes more than just visual. The more emotions a band can tap into, the more memorable it will be for their viewers (based on learning theory). So if the band can add a physical/sexual appeal, that's one more emotion that the audience can experience.

This comes very close to my take on the situation. I would never go to a show JUST to hear the music. I can do this in the comfort of my home without spending more than fifteen dollars. In order for me to go to a show, there needs to be something there that I don't or can't experience from listening to the CD at home -- such as a bar, or a social environment such as ProgPower, or -- yes! -- a hot lead vocalist to look at during the show. It's just one way of drawing in potential fans, and considering that the target audience of metal is almost all male, there should be no surprise that it's extremely effective. Then again, if the hot vocalist sucks, the band is not going to go far. She needs to be talented (within the confines of her chosen music genre) in order for this to work.

I think nearly anyone can tell the difference between a sleazy rock show and a talented girl singer who happens to be hot. And wanting to watch Delain because Charlotte is hot is no different than NOT wanting to watch Secret Sphere because the vocalist wears Spandex pants. If you're basing your entire enjoyment (or lack thereof) upon a band's image, then you are clearly not a music fan, and the point is moot.

I liked Delain well before I ever laid eyes on the singer, and that was well after I had nearly written off all female-fronted bands because there were so many me-too's out there that just plain sucked. The quality of Delain's music, to my ears, was a pleasant surprise.

I wasn't too into Diablo Swing Orchestra (having heard only one song) until I saw them live. Their performance was so good that I was one of the ones rushing to the vendor room to buy both their CDs as soon as the curtain closed.

I have also historically been one of those that connected most with the singer, male or female. When I started playing guitar was when I first started realizing that all guitarists (or any other band members) were not interchangeable. Naive for sure, but many music fans are just fans, not musicians. But we all sing in the shower and the car.

Anecdotal evidence from an atypical guy, sure. But there you have it.

(in my old band)...

Was that in ButtCorps?:D

on an off topic side-note, Nina,
I'm surprised none of those Blood Corps guys have popped up on here, promoting themselves, since you & I both know they are the "biggest & most important thing in metal!":lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yes, that was said in complete sarcasm. Can never resist an opportunity to poke some fun at them:D

Back to Rockbitch, they were actually a pretty talented band towards the end. Their early stuff was good but rather simplistic, but they eventually became much better. The video that was posted (I think it was for Holy I had not seen before. While it was good, it was very watered down compared to the Live in Amsterdam 1997 DVD I have. I liked when the singer (Julie?) would be painted blue. That video for Holy was kind of abnormal...they were wearing much more than they usually do! :lol: I think the bassist was the only one to always remain fully clothed during a set!

ahhhhh i c there.

I guess that is proper then. Kamelot has also featured almost nekkid chicks on some covers too havent they?

I think that I am somewhat qualified to weigh in here as I shoot photos and videos of scantily clad women. :D

Sex is used to sell everything. Why should music be any different? If the lead singer is attractive and her image helps get new fans, then capitalizing on that is a good idea. I have overheard many men say that they have purchased CDs or gone to shows solely because the lead singer or another female band member was "hot."

This goes the other way as well. A female friend of mine went to see Tyr live largely because she wanted to see Heri without his shirt on. The money that she paid for the ticket is just as green as the money that was spent by diehard fans who sing along with every line.

On a more personal note, when I was videotaping A Sound of Thunder play live last weekend, a dude came up to me and remarked on how "hot" the lead singer was. He also commented on the level of "hotness" of the girls dancing in front of the stage. When I relayed his sentiments to my fiancée, who was one of the aforementioned girls, she took it as a compliment. The dude was pretty drunk and may have forgotten about the show by next morning, but it is also possible that he hasn't and you got a new fan.