Morbid Angel - Overrated?

Morbid Angel rules. A,B,C are all great, Covenant is my favorite, despite my name. I actually think that Domination is very much an underrated great record. Everything after is "ok". Formulas had a few real good songs, but the loss of David Vincent was huge for me. He had one of the most distinct and interesting voices in extreme music. Steve Tucker is just another run of the mill average/below average growler.

Oceanic Motion, would you kindly elaborate? Couldn't quite infer much from the emoticon, you twad.

As for the inquiry about my knowledge/library of death metal, I like Death, The Possessed, Suffocation, Obituary, and I've recently taken a liking to Cryptopsy (yes, much to my shock, Cryptopsy has managed to interest me). And yes, Morbid Angel predominantly plays terribly uninteresting riffs. If you care to argue this, try SPECIFYING which song you believe to have anything remotely intriguing. It may earn you some credibility. ;)

Oh yes, and for the record, Obituary is infinitely superior to Morbid Angel, in every sense of the word.

DiscipleOfPlato said:
Oceanic Motion, would you kindly elaborate? Couldn't quite infer much from the emoticon, you twad.

As for the inquiry about my knowledge/library of death metal, I like Death, The Possessed, Suffocation, Obituary, and I've recently taken a liking to Cryptopsy (yes, much to my shock, Cryptopsy has managed to interest me). And yes, Morbid Angel predominantly plays terribly uninteresting riffs. If you care to argue this, try SPECIFYING which song you believe to have anything remotely intriguing. It may earn you some credibility. ;)

Oh yes, and for the record, Obituary is infinitely superior to Morbid Angel, in every sense of the word.
I like your taste.

SculptedCold said:
Blessed and Altars are indeed magnificent. The rest of their music is agonizingly un-essential though.
Agreed, though, Blessed and Altars have never really been my favorite of the essential death metal releases.

Mtaclof said:
Hell yes, there is so much better shit out there. Morbid Angel just bores me, they need to pick up the pace and throw in some thicker drumming!
Anyone agree with me here?

the only morbid angel album that's lacking is domination, but that's not a bad album. there are better bands out there, but m.a. is not overrated.

what vincent did with his vocals in domination was shit. listen to where the slime live and eyes to see, ears to hear. he makes up for it with hatework and inquisition.

by the way, does anyone know what happened to him?

Oceanic Motion said:
I rarely see anyone post in a thread on a message board or right in a magazine or webzine that MA are THE DM band. I have only really seen Death mentioned as THE DM band, which I really disagree with as I don't like Death one bit.
Strange! Death have a strange stranglehold on me, they always have. I've always found their riffs amazing, and I mean ALL of them, every song across every album individually grabs my attention, and I find that amazing. Morbid Angel on the other hand I really have to force myself to listen to, and close attention only gives me a couple of interesting riffs here and there. Altars of Madness was a great riff-fest of an album, they seemed to have lost most of their riff ideas on Blessed but that was nevertheless superior because of the arrangements, solos and general atmosphere. But after THAT, man....snoozefest. :erk: Heretic is the only MA that has slightly interested me since; it's got some decent riffs on it.