Morningrise / Still Life??

Degreefour

New Metal Member
Oct 31, 2001
I'm an undying fan of Opeth since I heard MAYH. I have the three obvious ones but never heard Morningrise or Still Life. Talk to me about the feel of these two records compared to the others which I already adore. I've such a high standard for these guys, I just don't want to be disappointed in any way.
Thanks Guys
:heh:

Just a little of what I have to say....

Morningrise is like Orchid in tone and production, also the same dual guitar ingredient is there. But it isn't as heavy as Orchid, and has less of a Black metal sound. A bit more epic, and just put together better. Yet I like Orchid better at the moment.
Still Life is just for me a whole new dimension of Opeth, I don't think there is any other Opeth album that sounds like it. Imagine a mix of Bwp and MAYH. It's got some bluesy type stuff. Also there are more slow sections than on any other album I think.

Trust me, you won't be disapointed. Each album offers something slightly different from the other, but they are all incredible pieces of work. Fill in the missing pieces of your Opeth collection and buy both immedietly. NOW!!!! ;)

I would think Morningrise and Still Life are the two most obvious ones to get. They are definitely my two favorites, (Orchid too, but it is pretty much just and extension of Morningrise. You can't really talk about one without mentioning the other.) In my opinion, Morningrise is a slightly better version of Orchid, and Still Life is like a review of their entire existance. It has influences from so many different directions, not to mention parts that could be on any of the other four albums. It could be called their most organized and inclusive album to date. Definitely get them both.

Damn. You HAVE Orchid, MAYH, and BWP but have never even heard Still Life or Morningrise? Strange.

I think the middle three Opeth records are the best (Morningrise, MAYH, Still Life) and the other two (moreso BWP) are a bit of a notch down. If you already love Orchid it's hard not to be blown away by Morningrise... it has the same feel and just turns everything up to 11, more epic, more progressive, more emotive... Still Life sounds probably about what you'd expect the album between MAYH and BWP to sound like, except that on the whole, it's a little more jazzy (drumming with brushes on "Face of Melinda", a jazzy guitar tone to the little midsection to "Moonlapse Vertigo", amongst others), and with more clean vocals, and yes, the most soft sections of any record yet.

Morningrise and Still Life actually seem to be the favoured albums amoungst Opeth fans... we did an "Opeth Song Survivor" which was won by Morningrise's "Black Rose Immortal" over Still Life's "The Moor". They generally are 1-2 in the "favourite album" polls. I don't see how you could POSSIBLY be dissappointed...

Buy them both asap and witness your high standard of Opeth explode to greater heights!!