Most depressing Katatonia cd?

well

• Total voters
What is the most depressing Katatonia album? A valid case could be made for every album from Discouraged Ones to Viva Emptiness.

Discouraged Ones gives us an album cover that has an angel that has its back to us. It also gives us such uplifting lines as "who's painting my life in sorrow blue?" ("Last Resort") and "I want to be forgotten, I want you to forgive" ("Distrust"). But while this album is truly depressing, it actually sounds upbeat at times.

Tonight's Decision may actually be the best overall album that Katatonia has done and might also deliver the biggest abundance of horribly depressing lyrics ever recorded on one album. The first song, "For My Demons" ends with the line "murderers come my way, someday you will join them, and I will let you in." If that doesn't set the tone for an album with a horrible message, what does? The album continues with "I am Nothing," "No Good could Come of this," "Strained," " A Darkness Coming," and "Black Session" standing out as INCREDIBLY depressing tracks. Tonight's Decision also features a very dark look to it. Every picture in the CD insert depicts something depressing, be it an empty room, a shattered wedding picture, or the guy on the tracks just waiting for the train.

There is one element of depression that is missing on Tonight's Decision that is definitely present on Last Fair Deal Gone Down. That element is desperation. Just listen to Jonas say "A brand new day, it can't get worse" on "The Future of Speech" and you will hear that desperation. Also standing as very depressing tracks are "Teargas," "Tonight's Music," and "Don't Tell a Soul." This album may be the most emotionally powerful album they have done. Even the B-sides "Sulfur" and "Help Me Disappear" are horribly depressing. I can also tell you from personal experience that Last Fair Deal is quite possibly the worst album you could hear after being dumped, especially if the emotional wounds are still very fresh.

Viva Emptiness has almost a completely different sound to it. While still obviously Katatonia, it's much more angry than it is depressing. Starting right off with "Ghost of the Sun" you are smacked with anger. The album lacks the overall depression of the previous few, but it is by no means a happy album. The sounds of desperation return during "Premonition," but we don't really get anything that sounds truly depressing until "Omerta," the next to last track.

So which of these is the most depressing? While Tonight's Decision may have the most songs with depressing lyrics, I still have to go with Last Fair Deal Gone Down. It is the only album that I have ever owned that had lyrics that hit me so hard that I actually could not listen to it for a long while. I think that last sentence alone should sum up the depression factor of the album, as well as the overall greatness of it.

And yes, I did put lots of thought (possibly too much) into this.

Yeah, Norghash. I'm agree. Gateways of Bereavement rules!!! The last sentence in the song: "I love you". Jonas screaming this, this is depressing. And all the last rithym, when he sais "slow"....yeah, depressing? That part of the song wants to kill me.

it is absoultly BRAVE MURDER DAY not only the katatonia's most depressive album but also the most depressive album ever (also the greatest), have the members of the best band can (anders,fred,jonas,mike),it is definately a masterpiece

i have doubts about the voters (for about %89) have really know the meaning of depression

sounds of decay would be the second
saw you drown EP would be the third (inculdes the most depressive song ever "quiet world")
discouraged ones can only be the fourth
tonight's decision would be the fifth(even though it has the most depressive lyrics music is not depressive as much as the lyrics)

Wanderer said:
i have doubts about the voters (for about %89) have really know the meaning of depression

and you know it..congratulations!
it's a quite surprising news,that somebody,who is so deeply involved into the essence of the depression ,could be so confident of his own verdict..

BMD is the most bleak thing I've ever heard, and I guess that could translate into depressing, but I almost can't listen to Tonight's Decision sometimes. Discouraged Ones (which I voted for when the poll was new, for some reason) is very depressed-sounding, but it feels resigned and reflective. TD sounds more painful and anxious, and something about the way the lyrics make no sense half the time makes it worse. I guess I agree with the depressed vs. depressing thing that Mantraschism said.

cheerz,bro..i was also unconscious by BMD,and not only by this masterpiece of Katatonia..i was disturbed only by your total conviction that you are the only right,and only your opinion is reliable...

For me its DO (I know it is not a very original answer lol). The lyrics are so depressive

It's not the way that it used to be / There's no way I'll see (Stalemate)
And this time I break / I will never make another day (I Break)
When I was thinking this was something permanent/ You were already thinking of going away (Gone)
Running my way towards oblivion (Distrust)

And what about the title of the 7th song (Last Resort)

Right into the bliss is not very very happy either...