Most Depressing Song Ever

I also agree that Bethlehem sound really depressing but the lyrics are a massive part of the effect for me and I don't speak German...sooo.

Some others I think

Kansas-Dust in the Wind (What is it with sadness and classic rock for me?)
Faith No More-Take this Bottle (yes I know its cheesy)

Note: The following are personal choices that relate to specific times of my life...

Anathema - anything off of 'A Fine Day to Exit'
Norah Jones - 'Come Away With Me'
A Perfect Circle - '3 Libras'
My Dying Bride - 'For My Fallen Angel'

Oh shit...I totally forgot!

A Perfect Circle - Three Libras ...Dayum...brings back soem memories. That song came out at the same time my head spiraled downward at a point in my life. Just hearing that song gets me all depressed lol.

Planet Caravan always sounded kinda depressing to me.

3 Libras might have depressing lyrics, but the song's climax sounds uiplifting in my mind. Same for Today by the Pumpkins.

In retrospect, Type O Negative are totally tongue-in-cheek, and their music sounds REALLY, REALLY, depressing.

BloodStainedWalls said:
Today is The Day - A lot off of Sadness Will Prevail
I totally agree with you on this one. Damn, that album is completely out there....when I first heard it, I thought it was complete shit...but after a few listens something just clicked and I understood what "The Reverend" Steve Austin was trying to get across in this album, even though he has lost his mind after attempts at suicide.

SunlapseVertigo said:
Hell, any song off Sun that Never Sets is pretty damn depressing.

Depressing, yet strangely beautiful.

The single most depressing album I have ever heard is the first A Silver Mt. Zion release (He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts Of Light Sometimes Grace The Corners Of Our Rooms). The entire thing was written as a requiem of sorts to a dead dog.

I'll have to say just about everything from Katatonia's BMD and Sounds of Decay. Close runners up: Daylight Dies, Evoken, Shape of Despair, Blazing Eternity, Agalloch, Saturnus, and others I know I just can't remember at the moment.

Some PoS songs would fit the bill nicely, but one of my fave's would have to be a short instrumental by some American guys called Shadows Fall. I think the song is called "Lead Me Home" :(

No more will - nevermore

There are quite a few other nevermore songs i could add but this is about the best.

The nurse who loved me - a perfect circle.

Death blooms - mudvayne

While the actual music on that one isn't that sad/depressing whatever..the lyrics are awesome and quite depressing.

Tuonela - amorphis

street spirit (fade out)- radiohead

Everyone i love is dead / bloody kisses (a death in the family) - type o negative.

like someone already said they are tounge in cheek but there is some degree of seriousness to some of their songs too i think and if not the worst that can be said for them is that they create some depressing songs at times.

soma - smashing pumpkins

My favourite is an instrumental piece from Nargaroths "Orke" demo, called "Getragen von Valkyren". I'm about to rewrite this song to make it less repetitive, and then make an remark in my testament for my version this song being played at my funeral...

Reactions: Hitori
Embers Astray said:
I totally agree with you on this one. Damn, that album is completely out there....when I first heard it, I thought it was complete shit...but after a few listens something just clicked and I understood what "The Reverend" Steve Austin was trying to get across in this album, even though he has lost his mind after attempts at suicide.
LMAO... ya, hes a twisted fuck, that's for sure.

I'd have to go with Nevermore's Tomorrow Turned Into Yesterday... might just be because of the time in my life that it hit me, but I actually had to pull my truck off the road so I wouldn't wreck.

Other than that I usually listen to any song by My Dying Bride or Sentenced when I want real downer.